No announcement yet.

Haitian anger - rage after U-17 football team sent home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Haitians came here with sick players, on Sunday before their first game they were trying to get prescription medicine with prescription forms they brought here from Haiti.

When I called the liaison officer to get some info on the team for the preview for their game against Costa Rica, he told he some of the players had fever and he was on his way to the pharmacy.

The official (not mine) reports were that three members of the delegation tested position and other showed symptoms and refused to be tested.

Do the maths Mosiah
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Thank you X!
      "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Captain Burrell was just on the radio talking about the incident. The Captain said that the decision to send the team back to Haiti was made after a CONCACAF meeting!?!?!?! However, he said that members of the team were kept at the hospital for 3 to 4 hours and that, as he put it, was totally unacceptable.
        "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

I have known Ken Baugh a very long time and have no problems with his medical background and what he says re malaria and how we treat it here..where is your medical background and certification?

Come on Mosiah you have better sense than this and it was not just Ken Baugh here, he was not the one who gave the order to send the kids home, that came from else where and he came in as the Minister of Foreign Affairs when it reached another level, get your story and facts straight
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

My qualifications , yuh want a salary quote too?....Besides common sense ,nothing else is needed.Remember 1st and foremost a Jamaica yuh a deal wid.Ken Baugh couldnt mek Chelsea medical team.Im woulda quarantee di ole squad from the EPL and C.L...lol...man nuh ave nuh sense....yuh know ow much MD man affi tell dem nuh kill di people dem wid
            unnuh wrong prescription.

Didier Drogba has malaria, reveals Carlo Ancelotti... but Chelsea striker is set to face Fulham

By MATT BARLOW
            Last updated at 1:17 AM on 10th November 2010

Battling on: Drogba trains the day after being diagnosed with malaria

Didier Drogba will lead the line for Chelsea against Fulham tonight, despite suffering from malaria.

Drogba has been told he may have been carrying the disease for weeks, possibly even months, but started a 48-hour course of medication yesterday which will eradicate it.

Chelsea’s medical staff are confident that the 32-year-old Ivory Coast star will make a full recovery and that it will not return.

Drogba was diagnosed with malaria on Monday, following a blood test carried out after he reported another fever over the weekend.

He was not well enough to start at Liverpool on Sunday but told manager Carlo Ancelotti to name him among the substitutes and came on for the second half to lift his team, although they lost 2-0.

On Monday, he was forced to leave early from a Nike promotion in London to visit his doctor.

Drogba has been tested in the past for malaria and other tropical diseases but they came back negative because the parasitic activity in the blood goes up and down.

‘For a month, Didier has had this difficulty to train,’ said Ancelotti. ‘He suffered. He didn’t feel good. He didn’t have the power or the ability to train. I think he lost some of his condition. He was unselfish to play when he was not at 100 per cent.

Under the weather: Drogba came on as a second-half sub during the defeat by Liverpool at Anfield

‘He had some blood tests before this and it was not so clear. Then he had the tests on Monday and
            they showed this kind of virus.

‘Now he we know this is the problem. The tests showed he has malaria. It was serious once but now it’s a bit different. You can treat it and move on very quickly. It’s over now. He is OK. He will play against Fulham.’
            Although modern medicine can treat malaria quickly and efficiently, it is still a huge killer, responsible for the deaths of nearly a million people a year, including many children.

ONCE BITTEN...

Kolo Toure
            Manchester City defender contracted the disease in 2008 in Ivory Coast. Taken ill on Arsenal tour of Austria and hospitalised.

Yakubu
            Now at Everton, he withdrew from Nigeria’s World Cup qualifier with Rwanda in 2005 following a mild attack.

Lomana LuaLua
            Former Portsmouth striker contracted the disease in 2005 while on international duty for Congo DR. Collapsed in training
            and was admitted to hospital.

Didier Zokora
            Spent four days in hospital with malaria in 2006. Out of action for Tottenham for two weeks.

Emerse Fae
            Reading midfielder contracted the disease while on international duty with Ivory Coast in 2008.

Congo DR striker Lomana LuaLua described the horrifying effects of malaria after he contracted the disease five years ago.

He said: ‘I collapsed, I was paralysed down one side and began losing consciousness. I was hallucinating, imagining people were chasing me. I thought I was going to die.’
            Drogba is among several footballers who teamed up this year to support FIFA and former Cameroon striker Roger Milla in a campaign to end malaria deaths in Africa by 2015.

Last month, the Chelsea striker was in his native Ivory Coast, deep in the malaria zone, but his club claim he was showing symptoms before that particular trip to watch his national team play.

Chelsea suspect the disease, transmitted by mosquito bites, may have been dormant in his body for some time.

After his return from Africa last month, Drogba missed the goalless draw against Aston Villa and the Champions League trip to Spartak Moscow.

He played 90 minutes against both Wolves and Blackburn, came off after 76 minutes in the return against Spartak and started on the bench at Anfield on Sunday.

Ancelotti expects the striker, who scored 37 goals last season, to be operating at full power again very soon.

He also shrugged off questions about signing Fernando Torres, who scored twice against his team on Sunday. ‘When you have Drogba and Anelka, it’s difficult to think about Torres,’ said Ancelotti.

‘The day Drogba is not able to play and maintain this level of condition, we can think about buying another striker like Torres. But when Drogba is not able Torres will be old.’

Nicolas Anelka may miss tonight’s game with a back problem and Alex is doubtful with a knee injury.

A Doctor's Diagnosis

Because Didier Drogba spent time in Ivory Coast as a child, he will have developed a degree of immunity to malaria, which is why his symptoms are not life-threatening.
            Living in England will have reduced his immunity and made him vulnerable when he returned to a region where malaria is prevalent. But the strongest symptoms he will have felt are a high fever and severe headache. That explains why he missed matches with a fever and it will have affected his performance.
            But as long he feels OK today, there is no reason he cannot play against Fulham.
            Malaria is not contagious.
            Dr Richard Dawood, medical director, Fleet Street Clinic

Last edited by Sir X; February 22, 2011, 02:19 PM.
            THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Common sense says its not contagious , cannot be transmitted from human to human , but from mosquito to human , the logical thing to do is send home the mosquitos ...lol

I couldnt resist, maybe thats what his medical training sees the Haitians as ..lol

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

the fact is they never should have had the sick players left Haiti. I can just imagine how local authorities may have paniced and wondering what kind of sickness(possible Cholera) and on top of that some of the youngsters were resisting testing.

If they had low them to play and infected the rest of players wouldn't that be more careless?
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Ken Baugh is also a politician.

I am not talking from my medical background, since it doesn't exist. But I can read and understand!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA!

Thanks for this, X!

What do the medical experts have to say about this now!

Wooiiieee!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

how much Mosquito deh a England especially inna the winter?

The fact is you had 3 players with Malaria it should be reported to the authority. If you have 3 cases and suspected 8 cases that is enough to stop them from competing against other teams. Since you have medical background, how long such a test takes?
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Dr Mosiah, did you read what Assasin wrote about the Mosquitoes in England during the Winter? Do you know if England have the type of Mosquitoes that can spread Malaria? Mosiah, that slick click Haitain supporter that you were hoping to meet really affecting your brain.
                        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

"The Haitian delegation was assured that the primary decision to advise the Haitian CONCACAF team to withdraw from the competition was the fact that with 14 members of the delegation
                          exhibiting signs of malaise (illness), they could not field a team," said the statement.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1EjKKIoCf

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1EjJhQnC9

Comment

Dun talk! It's clear unnu will always try and come back wid something based on ignorance.

You tell me if mosquito deh a England in di winter.

I have already proven that we panicked and acted irrationally and with prejudice.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

1st thing i asked for is common sense ,Sass, 2nd the medical practice says its not contagious via human transmission to human.

Suh who or what are you going to send home , the human or mosquito ?maybe you can equate the two as one , i cannot , 3rd if the haitians brought a sick member or members to compete , then the question is , was it done in Fifa guidelines as it pertains to medical care and treatment i.e Drogba and all the others before him.

I asked you to come wid commonsense.
                              Commonsense

Comment

Common sense is if you have a delegation with 14 people showing signs of Malaria you ask them to withdraw. The fact is these kids should have been tested and not travel to Jamaica. That is common sense.

Common Sense is there is a lot of mosquitos in Jamaica and none in England in the winter months. While communication could have been better on both sides, I don't see the anything wrong with letting them go home.

Comment

Working...
                                X