• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFF surprised by Catherine Hall charges

More headaches - JFF surprised by hefty Catherine Hall charges
    Sinclair: Bills for use of facility must be paid
    BY PAUL A REID Observer writer
    Saturday, February 12, 2011

MONTEGO BAY, St James — The organisers of the 12-team CONCACAF Under-17 tournament set to start next Monday are facing a hefty bill for the use of the Montego Bay Sports Complex at Catherine Hall.

Reports reaching the Observer are that the cost could run into millions of dollars that the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) had not budgeted for.

It is understood that the JFF representatives were surprised when told about the costs associated with the venue at a meeting late Wednesday evening.

Mayor of Montego Bay, Councillor Charles Sinclair, confirmed the reports in an interview with the Observer on Thursday, pointing out that there was no way the management committee of the facility could have given the venue to the JFF for free.

While not going into details about the cost, Sinclair, who is also the chairman of the Local Organising Committee of the CONCACAF event, said costs would be incurred for the use of the facility each match day and those bills, including the use of water and electricity, must be paid.

Investigations by the Observer reveal that the cost could go as high as $400,000 each match day, but it could not be ascertained whether there would be a cost to use Jarrett Park as well after that venue was added on Thursday after the Trelawny Multi-Purpose Stadium was rejected a day earlier.

When contacted for a comment, Horace Reid, general secretary of the JFF said the Ministry of Sports had been appraised of the situation and had promised to deal with it.

Sinclair said the costs were not unreasonable, as the JFF has to pay to use the National Stadium for games and had also paid to use Jarrett Park in 1999 when it was used as the only match venue for the CONCACAF Under-17 World Cup qualifying tournament.

The Mayor asked, "For the day to day maintenance of the venue, several costs would come into play. The guests invited by the JFF will use the bathrooms, electricity will be used and there will be cleaning up afterwards, who is supposed to pay for that?"

He pointed out that "the Urban Development Corporation (UDC) was in the process of transferring the management and eventually the ownership of the facility to the St James Parish Council and they (the UDC) have said they will not spend one cent from the UDC on it".

Sinclair said by law the parochial fund received by the Parish Council could only be spent in certain areas while pointing out that the JFF had received "substantial sums of money from CONCACAF and from Claro for the tournament, none of which has been accounted to the LOC".

He said the LOC had long been speaking about budgets and costs and said the state agencies have been working with the JFF, including the National Water Commission that had provided free water for the preparation of the UDC, Jarrett Park and Trelawny Multi-Purpose Stadium fields.

Citing the costs that the organisers of the Milo Western Relays were asked to pay for their meet scheduled for today at the same venue, Sinclair said: "Principle is principle, the Milo Western Relays people came in and negotiated a reduction which we accommodated," he said, describing the reaction of the JFF as "the wrong attitude".

The mayor asked "when the tournament ends and everyone leaves to go back to their homes and we are left with a bill that we are unable to pay and the electricity and water to the stadium are cut off for lack of payment, what do I tell the citizens of Montego Bay?"

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1Dp2QKXMP

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Assasin, di mayor wikkid eh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

No. That is JFF mess up because they should know the charge upfront. But as usual most organization in Ja think in the country's interest everyting should be free. Actually the mayor did his job. Now you a go say a through him a labourite why mi support him.

I know I will never win with you.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Nice pre-emptive strike, Sass. Well, nice attempt!

I simply called you out because you seem unable to determine where the buck stops. In all of this U-17 fiasco, you seem unable to realise that the buck stops with the JFF or with the minister of sport. You want to blame the people on the ground.

Politics hve nothing to do with this. But nice try!

And that goes for Manatt as well. Bruce is the buck-stopper. He needs to go!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

First where did I say Bruce shouldn't go????? In politics you have oppurtunity and Bruce use methods to stay instead of going. I have said he should go but the longer it takes the harder it gets if you don't realise. I notice you choose not to comment on the "commission" post but wait to bring it up in another topic.

The fact is I call it how I see it. If we have people doing the grounds and can't get it ready in two weeks they are simple not ready to be doing stadium work. In my opinion they should bare the most of the blame. Yes the Ministry which employ them have to take action but don't tell me you expected the ministry or the JFF to make sure the field was ready. Tell me how the could have done that if the man them over fertize the field or didn't do the job they said they could accomplished?

Sometimes you act as if the our people on the ground do no worngs. Try mixing up everything, no deal with them one at a time. I call it how I see it and I have no special hate or love for Bruce or Burrell.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

no need to explain again, sass. i understood the first time.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

No but me want you tell me how they could have gotten it done when two weeks ago the groundsmen promised it would have been done. Reid was there and they said it was no problem. It is not hard for a reasonable person to think it would have been done.

Comment

i don't know about you, Sass, but if I were in charge of this thing, if the grounds could not be 100% ready at least one month before the kick-off, den mi woulden bodda wid it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

But if we wan sport tourism and major tournamemts are we going to have field that sit for a month?

The fact is everywhere else people can get field ready in a short time period so why do we have to take one month?? Is one month enough to grow cow pasture??? The field would have to be cut in that time as well so the same thing could have happen in the last week.

Comment

Just A Simple Question....

Why did JFF NOT get a written quote or sign a contract with Catherine Hall before all this nonsense went down?

Comment

As I said with Catherine Hall I blame the JFF. That is simple not the way to do business. With Trelawny stadium i couldn't give them most of the blame.

At the same time don't you think they should have the cost upfront from the people who renting it? There should be no last minute surprise from either side.
                      Last edited by Assasin; February 13, 2011, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Assassin you do know that Burrell is a Labourite, right? he was actually being mooted to run for the JLP in a past election. and he has been known to make significant financial contributions to the JLP as well.

The ONLY reason the Mayor was chosen to be the chairman of the LOC was simply because they thought he would have lapped his tail like everyone else and simply given them the stadium for free.

Thing is the Mayor is not the only person on the committee and there are two former St JFA presidents George Evans and Lennox Wallace who are not afraid to stand up to Burrell and/or the JFF.
                        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

The simple answer is that they thought it would be for free...why would they need a contract if things are for free?

This is how the JFF and to some extent JCA works, they come to MoBay, use the venues then dissappear.

The JFF STILL owes Parish council for use of Jarrett Park for the Digicel Cup games they played there two years ago and they wont get it for free again...
                          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

Why does the Canadian Embassy in Kingston like The Captain's donuts?

They make great hockey pucks.

Comment

Field Completely Re-Sodded In One Week

During the 1996 NFL playoffs, the field at Lambeau Field in Green Bay was completely re-sodded in one week in the dead of winter at a cost of USD $150,000, paid for by the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X