• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A GUNNERS' Fan rant!

Newcastle United vs Arsenal, 4-4: Full time analysis and player ratings
    Written by Chris on February 5, 2011 – 21:30

The Game

This is not easy and hours later I still cannot believe how we let Newcastle produce such a comeback, a record in the history of the English Premier League.

But, the hours I spent trying to wake up from this nightmare allowed me to properly assess the game and reach one conclusion: things in football are to change and are to change quickly because if sad individuals like Joey Barton are still allowed to step on a football pitch, then I’m afraid this is no longer a “sport”, it’s no longer football, but it’s something I prefer to avoid.

After the game, in the chat room, I was upset and blamed Abou Diaby for not taking all three points back home this afternoon. I was wrong, and I understand many will just say that I defend Abou through thick and thin but I kindly ask you to rewind the tape of the game, stop it on minutes 47:10 and 52:30 and come back here telling me with a straight face that you wouldn’t have done the same.

Make no mistake, this doesn’t mean I accept the draw with a big smile on my face because if Joey Barton commits a terrible foul on Andrey Arshavin in the 47th minute, gets away with it and you see Abou Diaby racing to get his revenge which could have easily been a red, then I’m afraid you have to wonder what our manager told his player at half time.

I mean, Abou looked like one who simply could not accept Barton’s behaviour out there so our manager, with us comfortably leading the game by four goals to nil, had to make a move to avoid the unavoidable. He didn’t and we paid the price. Football is all about taking the right decisions at the right time and Arsene saying “Abou was too nervous in his reaction” after the game doesn’t help.

To make things worse, when the unavoidable did happen, Johan Djourou had to be replaced and the tenacity, never-die attitude and composure we showed only days ago against Everton were all gone. Laurent Koscielny committed a foolish tackle in the penalty box to give Newcastle hope in the 68th minute, Gael Clichy yet again demonstrated how poor he is in the air minutes later and from then on, it was all too easy for the Magpies.

The home side had a fair goal ruled out for offside and went close to register a major shock when a Kevin Nolan effort went inches wide but that would have been harsh on us.

To conclude and to wrap up, things are no longer as bright as they were days ago. Abou will serve a three-match ban for violent conduct, Johan Djourou could be out for a week or two and I’m more than sure Cesc Fabregas will have a word or two to say to Abou after the game. All I know is that recovering from this will not be easy although Manchester United’s defeat will surely ease the pain.

As always, whether you agree with my ratings or not, submit your own at Arsenal Interactive and make sure to share them on Twitter and Facebook.

http://www.thegunninghawk.com/2011/0...layer-ratings/
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Well, what ever you say bout Barton, cant say his strategy to upset Arsenal didnt work.

Comment

Working...
    X