A Plea To The Liverpool Faithfuls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Plea To The Liverpool Faithfuls

Fernando Torres has explained he could wait no longer for Liverpool to reclaim their place amongst the English elite, and he hopes that Reds fans will eventually come to understand that he has joined Chelsea to win trophies and further his career.

Torres, signed for a British record £50 million on transfer deadline day, was presented to the media at Chelsea's training ground in Cobham and added he would not celebrate against his former club if he scores in Sunday's Premier League tie.

His decision to force an exit from Liverpool in order to join a Premier League rival was badly received on Merseyside, where replica shirts bearing his name were burned in public. However, Torres hopes that Liverpool supporters will come to eventually accept that he needed to join a team that matched his ambition, rather than staying with a club currently nine points shy of a Champions League place.

"I only have good things to say about the Liverpool people and the Liverpool supporters," Torres said. "They made me feel really good there, and I have had three-and-a-half fantastic seasons there.

"I understand they will be angry and they will not understand my decision. I am sure in a few days, a few weeks or maybe not, I would like to explain to them all the reasons, but I would like to start talking about the future now. Thanks to them, thanks very much.

"I understand, because I was an Atletico Madrid fan, and when some top players left the club I did not understand. But with time I could understand they did the best for themselves, their families and their careers.

"So I am not asking them [Liverpool fans] to understand me, but I am sure with time they will see what I did there, and they will be fair, or they will be thinking a different way to they are thinking now. Football is like this - this is the life. The majority of Liverpool fans are not thinking like the ones you can see on the TV."

In 2007, Torres joined a Liverpool side that had just finished as runners-up in the Champions League, and although they challenged strongly for the Premier League in 2008-09, the striker ended his Liverpool career without any silverware to his name as the club declined sharply under the reign of former owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

"Things had changed a lot in the last year," Torres said of his time at Liverpool. "I think they have great ambition and they are doing the right things to get back but it will take time. I didn't have that time."
    Having won Euro 2008 and the 2010 World Cup with his country, a lack of success at club level is something Torres is keen to rectify at Chelsea. He admits Champions League glory is his top priority, as it is believed to be for Blues owner Roman Abramovich.

"The Champions League is the main thing," he said. "I know the ambition this club has about winning the Champions League, and it is the same ambition that I have. I think the ambition of this team is to keep winning trophies every year, so I have the same motivation. Talking about that, we are all thinking the same thing."

Torres admitted he had decided "ten to 12 days before the transfer window closed" that he wanted to leave Anfield in order to join Chelsea, and made his position very clear to the club. The striker saw an official transfer requested rejected by Liverpool just days before his transfer.

"As soon as I knew that Liverpool and Chelsea were talking about that, I told them that the decision was made," Torres said. "I was the first one to go to the manager and tell them."

Torres said he will not celebrate if he manages to score against his former side, but he is far from guaranteed a start, according to his new manager Carlo Ancelotti.

"Fernando is in good condition," Ancelotti said. "He is available to play against Liverpool, I don't know if he will start or maybe come on during the game. It is my decision, and I will take the decision before 4pm on Sunday."

ESPN Soccernet
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

My gut tells me that the KOP will beat Chelsea.
    "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Yuh gut right
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

The problem is that your gut is always wrong.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Westman View Post
          My gut tells me that the KOP will beat Chelsea.

My gut says otherwise ... no wait ... it a ask fi food. Torres gonna mek dem know who is boss. Who dem have gonna mark him? Drogba juss a wait fi remind ppl who is the bull in the pen.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

There you go again. If there is a man to call anything Liverpool wrong is X. You always make a miXtake whenever you make the call.

Comment

him should give up this prediction thing

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

him nuh see him parring partner Warlord nuh deh bout again?

Mi wonder if a predict them a predict or a pray them a pray?
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Quite an expensive waiting period and kick in the rear to get going if you ask me... cost him (Drogba)side 50 million quid!

We have to realize that football is first and foremost a business and there is not much room for sentimentality...I wish Torres all the best and God speed; just not this Sunday
                  Peter R

Comment

When has it been wrong?

Comment

KOP will win!

Comment

that would suit you folks just right! if we was playing Arsenal I would almost wish we wouda lose (did I say that?)...Chelsea loss de plot! so yes, licks fi dem!!
                        Peter R

Comment

u 2 dam parranyde. U imagining motives that have not been applied here. I just feel seh the KOP will come through this whole transfer windaw a hole heep betta than Chelsky. I still believe that Chelsky have the best teem pan paapa. But kemistree is fleeting for them. U and u damn bad mind self kyant imagine seh the rulers of the EPL universe kooud actually see KOP in a good lite sometime.

Watchya now, a long tyme me deh yah so. Ask Karl. Back wen did ting was form, me was the ongle wise Man Uniter bout dis place. Me one a bakkle genz balla, Livi (God rest his soul), Karl and other misguided before u cum bout yah wid u deliriousniss. It pleeez me fi see all the new enlitend ones bout yah. Lazie, Jawge, Sicckko, Jangle and more. One a deez day u gwine to come and kneel and beg we fi join because u gwine want fi dish manure and no longa ingest manure. I wi mek sure fi u initiatiation will be easier than fi x and muswiah.

Best of wishes against the oligarch's lads!

Comment

Originally posted by Westman View Post
                            It pleeez me fi see all the new enlitend ones bout yah. Lazie, Jawge, Sicckko, Jangle and more.
                            Where me come from, wi call dem "waggonists"
                            "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

me paranoid? my only point was i wouldn't mind losing to Arsenal as they do have a chance to catch your team, but as we can see from today's match, the battle will be a tough if not impossible one given the odds ... Chelsea lost their way and I don't see them deserving to get any rewards... they might even be unseated from the top four

Unuh up one areddi! yay
                              Peter R

Comment

Working...
                              X