• A long time mi a seh the youth is the best keeper at the clu

Wojciech Szczseny is now Arsenal’s No.1 goalkeeper - Arsene Wenger

Pole has done nothing to persuade boss he deserves to be benched

By Andrew Kennedy

28 Jan 2011 18:38:00

3 Share

Photo Gallery
    Zoom

Wojciech Szczesny - Arsenal, (Getty Images)
    Related Links

Teams
    Players
    Find the best odds and bet on the Premier League.

Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Wojciech Szczseny is Arsenal’s number one goalkeeper, moving ahead of Manuel Almunia and Lukasz Fabianksi in the pecking order.

The 20-year-old Polish keeper has been favoured by the Arsenal boss in recent weeks, featuring in the north London club's 3-0 semi-final second leg victory over Ipswich Town on Tuesday at the Emirates.

Speaking at Friday’s press conference, Wenger said: “At the moment Wojciech is number one, he's done nothing for me to take him out.”

However, the Pole, who recently signed a five-year contract with the Gunners, may not feature in Arsenal’s fourth round FA cup tie against Huddersfield.

“I can rotate the goalkeepers – in the cups I sometimes play different ones, but Almunia has not played for a long, long time”, said the Arsenal boss.

“I am happy that he’s here, I don't feel that any player is happy not to play. But he's under contract and as long as he is at the club we're happy to have him. I like him as a man and as a player and I have shown that in my decisions.”

Wenger also confirmed that he is in no rush to add to his squad in the transfer window, despite currently looking for defensive reinforcements with recent injuries to Sebastien Squillaci and Thomas Vermaelen.

“I would not see it as a missed opportunity,” he said.

“I focus on my squad and I feel we have 22, 23 outfield players who can cope with what we need.

“Vermaelen looks to be making good progress, Squillaci is back available, so that was the only position we were short, at centre-backs.

“If I don't make any signings it is because I have not identified a special player who could strengthen our squad at the moment.”

While he earlier came out in support of fellow boss Ian Holloway following Blackpool’s £25,000 fine by the Premier League for fielding a weakened side, Wenger criticised the idea of a commission clause in manager’s contracts – which the Seasiders coach admitted to on Friday.

“That is down to the chairman and to the board to decide that,” he explained.

“Personally I am not in favour of it, but if the chairman wants that and if the club agrees with that [then it’s fine].

“I personally always tried to keep my contracts not involved in this kind of clauses because it can be misinterpreted and I never wanted that.”
Working...
X