Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scout says J'cans impressive at DigiCup

Friday, December 10, 2010

FORT DE FRANCE,Martinique — As Jamaica continue to celebrate their Digicel Caribbean Cup 2010 win, many footballers from the final eight teams are being called up for trials for foreign clubs.

Former player Ali Lukunku who is currently an official scout for Belgian club Sporting Charleroi and Premiership side Stoke City spoke exclusively to www.digicelfootball.com about the talent in the region and what are his requirements for his clubs.

I am an official scout for the Belgium team, Sporting Charleroi, and English team, Stoke City, and so I travel wherever I feel there is an opportunity to spot talent.

"It's quite an exciting time for Charleroi in particular — where there is a new regime in place — and we are looking for a very specific type of player, ones who are experienced.

"In return, these players are brought to Europe and exposed to a new style of football — as well as having the opportunity to move around to different clubs.

"In terms of talent, for me it's simple. There are one or two players from each team who are very good. However, if we're talking about potentials for Charleroi, then I see many of the Jamaican players as having the right attributes," he declared.

The Reggae Boyz caimed their fifth DigiCup title after defeating Guadeloupe 5-4 on penalties in the final last Sunday in Martinique.

According to Lukunku, "They (Jamaicans) have the technique and, while they are still young — some are 25 or less — they are talented, they are intelligent and collectively, they play well together.

"Also, because football is not just about the quality and ability — but also brain — the Jamaicans are smart players and this is very important for us.

Players from the US Major League and Scandinavian leagues complemented a core of local-based players representing the Jamaicans at this year's tournament.

Said Lukunku: "In the region in general, you have some teams like Martinique, for example, who are not there yet and then you also have Jamaica who have an unbeaten record so far.

"So while there are different levels, if you look at the semi-final match between Jamaica and Grenada, this was a good level of football and a great match.

"Grenada have some good experienced players and (Luton) Shelton for Jamaica, who is only 25 years old, has played 58 games for his national team — and this is so important.

"The Digicel Caribbean Cup is a very important tournament for players to get crucial international experience. Also, it is great for them to get exposure as many scouts are here.

"Scouts like this style of tournament as they get to see all the teams play many times over a short period. The teams play every two days, which might be difficult for them, but the very best players will stand out — so it's good for the scouts.

"The players who are physically very fit will shine through. In Europe, this frequency of play would be unheard of — so the reasoning is, if they are good in this tournament, they will be physically able to play in Europe with ease.

"European football is more physical and tactical. The quality of player is different because the structure is different. In Europe, there is more focus on the individual footballer's needs. I think the Jamaica team plays similar in style to European football. But for me, the Caribbean is like African football used to be.

"When you see African players who came to Europe and then returned to play for their country, you see how the standard has improved and over time this will happen here in the Caribbean.

"For example, most of the Senegal, Ivory Coast and Zaire players play in France, Belgium and England. When they come together, of course they must show their ability, but also play as a unit — and show the identity of their nation.

"When I talk about intelligence in football, I'm talking about understanding what the coach wants and then converting that and applying it on the field easily — switching from club style to country style.

"There was a great atmosphere during the DCC semi-final and the final was also fantastic. Going forward, I think it's important that all the individual Caribbean federations really want to win this tournament and then, over time, we will see the performances improve and the profile of the tournament increase.

"Projects such as the Digicel Kick Start Clinics are a fantastic initiative as bringing on youth football is extremely important. The established, older players who come back to teach young people and possibly give a chance to one or two talented aspiring young footballers begin a circle of giving back to poorer nations, which is fantastic," he said.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

These idiots running up them mouth again...sign them if them so talented then...did he say they are SMART?

Comment

you sure them a talk bout the "dumb, three turn Jamaican team"?

As mi say only when foriegner talk we listen, we can't big up our own.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What you want him to say? If he is so impressed why not sign the lot?

Comment

Remember Pan Am games?

Comment

Years now and di European dem cyaan teach Luton fi control di ball..?

Wha use dem have den ?

Comment

wha bout the PAN AM games?

Jamaica have more than a decent amount of professional players.

If we give our players some more exposure then they will move up. Imagine if we had keep that PAN AM team as a unit for 2 years. You think the man them want pay massive money for a player they just see one time. A dis morning mi friend a ask me where is all the player from the last under 20 team.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

But Maudib, maybe the environment Luton is in does not place that much emphasis on controlling the ball. Yes, it is necessary to be able to controll the ball but, more importantly, their game seems more centered on speed, running onto the ball and shooting into goal.

One of our best ball controller was Deon Burton but Luton, with his style of play, has managed to score more goals for the Reggaeboyz than Burton did in his international career. Go figure!

That said, it would certainly be a plus if Luton could hone his controlling skills.
                "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Maudib don't realise that they see he has problem controlling the ball so they move him wide on the wing which will give him more space and ability to move. They have worked on his crossing and he is doing very well with that.

The goal is not to get people to do what they can't do but to improve their strength.

Comment

My point is we heard all of this after the Pan Am games...yeah these guys are great we are gonna sign them to play in Brazil...4 years later...**crickets chirping**

Comment

you ever consider part of the problem maybe ours?

It is not like there is no talent but how we go about it and how much we want as well.

If you don't know the MLS currently sent a team of Rookies to play La Leagua 2nd teams.

Our youth program is a big turn off. We have one or two games a year. Interest maybe their but that is something else.

Comment

His crossing is still horrendous.

Comment

100% better than 2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                            100% better than 2 years ago.
                            Yeah right. Crossing a ball into the stands directly behind the goal when aiming for the 18 yard box is not 100% better than 2 years ago. It is just as bad.

Comment

you can talk about one but on average he is doing a lot better. You didn't see him crossing any to his fellow teammates?

If you say no it make no sense we continue.

Comment

Working...
                              X