Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darren Mattocks on Goal.com Freshmen First Team

Darren Mattocks (Akron) 22 games played, 18 goals (6 GW), 4 assists
    Who would have thought that a freshman would be the leading scorer on the Zips at the end of the regular season? The Jamaican youth international has slotted in seamlessly with the Akron attack. His combination of speed and positioning has let him lead the goal scoring race for the Zips with 18 on the season. With fellow Akron attackers drawing attention, Mattocks has punished defenses relentlessly for leaving him too much space. Prior to Akron, Mattocks played for U21 Waterhouse F.C. in Kingston, Jamaica.

College Soccer Professor: End Of The Season Freshmen Awards
    Last Year’s Gatorade Player of the Year, this year’s Freshman of the Yea
    r

By J.R. Eskilson
    Dec 2, 2010 1:24:00 PM

Freshman of the year: Soony Saad, Michigan 22 games played, 19 goals (6 GW), 5 assists
    It is only once in a blue moon that a player like Saad comes along. And he came along in a season where freshmen stole the show for many teams. In fact, six of the final eight teams remaining have a freshman (or a few) who play crucial roles in the success of the team.

Saad led the way with 19 goals in 22 games, a Michigan school record. He picked up the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Tournament while leading the Wolverines to the title.

It wasn’t a soft schedule either for the Wolverines and Saad. Along with the difficult conference schedule that included five teams who made the second round of the NCAA tourney, Michigan also took on Akron and Notre Dame. Saad scored the lone goal for the Wolverines against those opponents.

The difficulty of opposition, the goal scoring abilities, and the potential to take over a game at any moment made Saad the choice for Goal.com freshman of the year.

More
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

I tell you this we have a lot of college youths burning up the college schene. Spoke a two coaches and they game me some names but just never have the time to follow through.

Congrats to Mattocks, remember Tollouch is also at the same school too as a freshman as well.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
    X