• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rbyz Revolt

Boyz ultimatum! - Ja players’ demands put Cup game in doubt
    Reggae Boyz game against Guadeloupe in doubt
    IAN BURNETT @ THE DIGICEL CARIBBEAN CUP in Martinique
    Monday, November 29, 2010

SAINTE-LUCE, Martinique — Jamaicans were up to press time last night left sweating over whether the Reggae Boyz would honour their 2010 Digicel Caribbean Cup fixture against Guadeloupe after the militant players gave the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) an ultimatum of agreeing to their financial demands or risk them not taking the field here at the Rivierre Pilote Sports Complex tonight.

The players have asked for US$1,200 in per diem, as well as 80 per cent of whatever winning prize monies for the 12-day tournament, in lieu of appearance, match and win bonus fees, which generally amounts to much more in incentives.

However, they told the media here last night that during a near one-hour meeting with JFF president Captain Horace Burrell inside the changing room after their victory over Antigua and Barbuda on Saturday night, they were told that all the federation could afford was US$500 in per diem, plus the 80 per cent winning prize.

The first place prize money for the Digicel Caribbean Cup is US$120,000, and Jamaica are well on their way needing a win today to cement their place in the semi-finals.

"We told them we won't lace up unless our requests are met," captain Shavar Thomas, one of four senior players who met with the media last night, said.

Thomas was accompanied by Luton Shelton, Rodolph Austin and Jermaine Taylor.

A team bus had come to the hotel to take the players to a training venue at 6:30 pm, but after waiting for over 40 minutes, the team's liaison officer ordered the bus to leave after she was told by members of the team that there would be no training session.

However, the Boyz had a loosening up exercise shortly after on the hotel grounds.

Head of delegation Raymond Anderson told the media immediately after their meeting with the selected players that JFF general secretary Horace Reid was scheduled to arrive at the hotel for a meeting with the entire delegation, for which the media was invited.

"The general secretary is coming here in a short while," Anderson said.
    He added: "Whatever we are doing we have to do it tonight. If we are going home then that has to be decided tonight... if there is a resolution, it must be tonight."

Thomas and his senior players in explaining how they arrived at their ultimatum, said the players have been asked for the past 18 months to make a sacrifice due to the financial circumstances.

He said they have done so willingly, but they believe it is now time for the JFF to give up something, though they are cognizant of the harsh economic climate.

"Ever since the fiasco of the last Gold Cup we have been playing internationals underpaid and under compensated, going far and wide without per diem, and before this tournament they asked us to make the same sacrifice again after about 12 games.

"We had a meeting with the general secretary and I personally asked him if the JFF can extend themselves to the players this time around. He asked me if I knew that the JFF had the money and was not paying us, so I said I believe the JFF doesn't have the money but I believe the JFF should extend itself and make the sacrifice this time around," Thomas revealed, explaining that they the players had done it for 12 games, so the JFF could do it for this tournament.

The players said they were not doing it for the money, as the only guarantee was the US$1,200, which is not a lot for most of them, but they want to be the group that takes a serious stand in how the players are treated by the JFF.

"We might be the last of the Mohicans," Thomas said. "There are a lot of younger player who are based at home who might need it more than us, but some of them have children and they need it," Austin added.

At press time Captain Burrell and Horace Reid had arrived at the hotel and started their meeting with the players, no doubt in a bid to avert any embarrassment, but the players had suggested that they would be mentally focused and prepared to play today if their demands were met.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz16fl5coSh
    Last edited by Karl; November 29, 2010, 10:05 AM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

With a 20-man squad the per diem would amount to US$24,000.00 Because the JFF are willing to pay $500 per player, that amounts to
    $10,000 with balnace of $14,000 which needs to be offset/underwritten.

I propose that members of this forum donate what they can so that the REggaeboyzsc Forum can come to the aid of the Boyz. If the administrators here are willing to organize this, I will be fully on board. What say ye all?
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

$1,200 US per diem? that can't be per player, has to be for the team... in which case assuming 20 on the squad that is $25 US a day a man, enough for a two piece and fries with a "biere ou deux" .

The tournament runs $Nov 26-Dec 5, ten days inclusive which amounts to $5,000 not including travel and prep days. So, is the JFF reasonable? the question is though, shouldn't this have been sorted out before? or are the players now trying to squeeze the Federation with an "unexpected" request?
      Peter R

Comment

The article and reporting is a little confused and confusing...if you want to quote a per diem it should be the PER DAY amount and not the total for the number of days they are there.

By the way the per diem is for 20 days? The tournament only lasts 10 days if you go all the way... so the prep and travel days amount to another ten?
        Peter R

Comment

I believe this Championship is the right to sit and talk to the JFF after a convincing first win. And I'm sure the Boyz would have still suited up for tonight's game against.
          But the most part I'm impressed with is this statement:

We might be the last of the Mohicans," Thomas said. "There are a lot of younger player who are based at home who might need it more than us, but some of them have children and they need it," Austin added.

Leaders in Jamaica tend to take their people for granted.

Comment

Why is it we have these problems? ...and so frequently?

We have past history to guide us. Where then is the planning to prevent repeat occurrences?
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

We keep having these problems because the JFF, scratch that, the Burrell led JFF is not learning...it happened in France and will happen again
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                Why is it we have these problems? ...and so frequently?

We have past history to guide us. Where then is the planning to prevent repeat occurrences?
                we have these problems so frequently because the JFF is frequently BRUK.

the planning to prevent repeat occurrences is non existent because the JFF is still BRUK.
                Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

Bad Move

these guys are a bunch of idiots.first of all if there is a problem about financial obligations this should be settle before they leave jamaica. they play one game and now want to hijack and embarrass the federation they planed this stuff and for that i hope they will never get another chance to play for jamaica ever again. i believe everyone should be paid for they work but these fools went about it the wrong way and for that i lost all respect for these fools. once they get on that plane and leave jamaica they should get on that field and play to win. i was a big fan of these fools but not anymore

Comment

So they should have played without a per diem? Buy their own breakfast, lunch and dinner. Typical Jmaicam management 101. I don't blame them at all. I wonder if the administrators expenses have been taken care of?

Comment

According to the article they did have a per diem, it was the amount that came under dispute. Frankly, by my math the per diem quoted would not be enough to feed big men, athletes, three meals a day.

But, before we jump to this conclusion, we need to know what the JFF was covering and whether the per diem was just brawta. Anyone know?
                      Peter R

Comment

will always happen without a proper players union. The JFF will always take advantage although we understand that a tuff times now but they should sit at the table with reps and iron out some of these problems.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

And I shall reiterate, lets organize a donation drive on this forum in order to offset this embarrassing shortage of funds.

And for the record: I support Shavar and and the Gang Of Four full-100. They might be the "last of the Mohicans' but a suh history set. If man nuh tek a stand bettah nah guh come.
                          "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

I read where the expenses for this tournament are over $6M Ja, which should include hotel, 3meals/day, and all transportation. Wha more dem want, I thought most of these players were professionals? Wha happen to dem national pride. If dem want more money then they should win the darn tournament and split de money up.
                            Six days I work for my children, on the seventh day they work for me.
                            Mitty

Comment

According to NNN, the JFF has agreed to the players' terms. Why I get the impression this is the last appearance for many of these players?
                              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
                              X