X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omar Cummings: Possible move abroad won't distract

Possible move abroad won't distract prolific Rapids star

MLS Playing a special MLS Cup edition of “Jeopardy!”, the answer is:

“Fast, powerful Jamaican product of college soccer who rose up from the MLS reserves to his national team, and might end his current stay in American soccer with a league championship and move to a foreign club.”

The correct question is, “Who is Omar Cummings?”

Right now, he’s a key element in Colorado’s quest for its first MLS Cup, to be decided Sunday (TV: ESPN2, Galavision, 8:30 p.m. ET) against FC Dallas at BMO Field in Toronto. By next month, he could be packed up and gone, bound for a European, Mexican or Central American club enticed by a player imbued with size, strength, speed and a lust for goals.

“We nearly lost him in the summer window and we sat down with Omar and talked about that possibility with him,” says Paul Bravo, technical director of the Rapids. “Given how well he’s done down the stretch, to be quite honest, I don’t know what we’re going to do. We’ll do our best to keep him around but if there’s an opportunity for the kid that’s good for both, we’ll look at that as well. A lot can happen once that window opens.”

As a hedge, Colorado acquired Macoumba Kandji from the Red Bulls just prior to the Sept. 15 trade deadline. Cummings hasn’t seemed distracted during the Rapids’ playoff run though he has yet to net. He leads the league in postseason shots (13) and has registered two assists, one of which enabled Conor Casey to score a vital late goal that knotted up the conference semifinals series with Columbus at 2-2.

By prevailing on penalty kicks, 5-4, Colorado advanced to the conference final, in which Cummings again helped decide the match, this time without actually touching the ball. He barreled into the Quakes goalmouth and his lunge-and-miss so distracted keeper Jon Busch that Kosuke Kimura’s curving ball snuck into the net for the only goal of the Eastern Conference final.

Cummings also hit the crossbar and failed to put away two other chances that might have iced the game, but still he’ll be closely monitored on Sunday, as will his forward partner.

“I think they have arguably the best two strikers in the league with Casey and Omar,” said FCD coach Schellas Hyndman in a teleconference call Monday. “One is big, strong, and very, very courageous, Conor Casey has the first-to-the-ball mentality on head balls. Omar Cummings is one of the fastest and most powerful players in the league.”

Scoring goals consistently is reason enough for a team to snap him up, yet Cummings is also a wonder to watch. He plows through tacklers or races by them, angles sharply between defenders on the dribble or in pursuit of a through ball, and crashes the far post for crosses. He can score the spectacular: in September, he blasted home a goal for Jamaica from outside the penalty area in a friendly against Peru, and a few days later nailed a strike from more than 30 yards at Red Bull Arena.

That ability to score from distance adds yet another variable to the Colorado attack. Casey (6-foot-1, 170 pounds) is a monster in the air as well as on the ground, yet Cummings (5-foot-10, 165 pounds) is nearly the same weight and strong enough to jar defenders off stride. They are different yet about as complementary as a pair of forwards can be.

“I think that it's a lot how we play,” says Cummings of how their strengths can test FCD. “Whether we're going to put the ball on the ground and try to move it or whether we're going to be putting balls in the air where a player like [George] John could just pick them off in the air and head them out.

“I think a key would be for us as players or as a team, the way we play, to move the ball quickly, to make runs off the ball and give them some trouble.”

The partnership of Casey and Cummings has occasionally been disrupted the past two seasons. At times, Gary Smith elected to play Cummings on the right side of midfield. Those experiments have been curtailed. Casey’s rugged, robust challenges tie up defenders and open up space, which Cummings exploits with dribbles and short, sharp passes. They combined during the regular season for 27 goals and nine assists. Last year, they rang up 24 goals and 13 assists.

Unfortunately for Rapids fans, the best time for the club to sell Cummings is now. He signed a four-year deal prior to the 2009 season and with two years of that deal remaining, he can command a decent transfer fee. His 14 goals this past MLS season are a career best, and nudged Casey for the team lead by a goal. Last year, he led the team in assists with 12 while also scoring eight goals.

Smith believes the bond between Casey and Cummings and their consistent scoring are emblematic of a team-wide cohesion that has carried it to the brink of a title.

“I think form is confidence,” said Smith. “It's confidence not only in your own game, but it's confidence in your teammates, as well, and building those relationships and that rapport within the group, just having that understanding.

“Omar is sitting in front of me here, but the understanding with Conor has moved forward from even last year where they were very, very productive, and they just look like they're on the same wavelength.”

Only four seasons after Cummings left the University of Cincinnati via the SuperDraft (third round, 31st overall pick), his current stint in MLS could be about to end with a glorious title or bitter disappointment.

His focus isn’t blurred by next week or next month, nor the opposition deployed to stop him on Sunday.

“Well, I think they have some good guys back there,” he said of the FCD defense. “They have speed. They have strength, and they're very aggressive when they do play. But again, I think we have to focus on us, us as a team, us as an attacking lineup, and that's all I'm worried about. I'm not worried about their defense.”
    link
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Colorado Scoring Tandem Takes Third Run at Dallas Defensive

November 20, 2010
    Colorado Scoring Tandem Takes Third Run at Dallas Defensive Duo

By JEFFREY MARCUS

TORONTO — The tandem of Conor Casey and Omar Cummings was the most productive in Major League Soccer this season. The Colorado Rapids strikers combined for 27 goals — the most by two players in team history — and their partnership is peaking with a championship at stake here Sunday in the M.L.S. Cup.
    Their remarkable efficacy, borne of experience and determination, was thwarted twice this season by F.C. Dallas, which employs its own dynamic defensive duo in George John and Ugo Ihemelu, who will again be asked to lock down the Dallas backline.
    “It’s a battle game in and game out,” said John, a 6-foot-3 defender who has surprisingly wide range and is good in the air. “We’ve played them twice this year, so you kind of build a relationship with these guys. It’s always forwards versus the center backs.”
    Ihemelu has a particular close relationship with his foils. He was teammates with Casey and Cummings for three seasons in Colorado from 2007 through 2009.
    “I played with those two guys while I was in Colorado and trained with them every day and I’m friends with both of them,” Ihemelu said. “They run well off each other. I think George and I are going to have to be on the same page to deal with those two.”
    Casey and Cummings, who have played together since 2007, improved their cooperation this season when Colorado Coach Gary Smith deployed them together regularly in a two-pronged attack. With two proven goal scorers, it could have been difficult, but as one scored, so did the other.
    Casey had 13 goals; four of his six assists were to Cummings, a fleet Jamaican.
    “Omar is so quick,” Smith said. “He gets away from his marker, he finds the area, the delivery is normally a decent one, then we find ourselves in a very good position.”
    Cummings was inventive and opportunistic, scoring 14 goals. He had the longest goal-scoring streak (five games) in the league this season.
    Goals are likely to be at a premium Sunday at a windy BMO Field off the shore of Lake Ontario. In a 1-1 draw in July, Colorado gave Dallas an own goal and scored from the penalty spot. Last month’s rematch finished tied at 2-2. Casey and Cummings were held to one assist between them in the two games. John and Ihemelu anchored the third-best defense in the league this season, giving up only 28 goals in 30 games. Dallas (12-4-14) never gave up more than two goals in M.L.S. play and lost by more than a goal only once.
    Still, Dallas Coach Schellas Hyndman said that Casey and Cummings posed a more difficult challenge than any two players in the league.
    “They’re different types of players,” Hyndman said. “With Cummings, you have got power, speed, attacking skills, and he can finish. Casey is powerful, courageous, strong in the air and can finish well with his head in the box.”
    John will primarily have to contend with Casey, a battering-ram forward who wills himself to score goals. He has been particularly motivated since he was left off the United States World Cup roster last summer.
    Casey scored two crucial goals at Honduras in World Cup qualifying last year to earn the United States a trip to South Africa, but Coach Bob Bradley selected strikers in better form at the time of the roster decision in May. It was a demoralizing blow for Casey. But he responded by scoring on a chip shot over Seattle keeper Kasey Keller in a 1-0 victory against Seattle in his next game.
    It was his first goal of the season in the run of play, having only scored from the penalty spot before that. Casey, refocused, scored 10 goals in the remaining 20 games of the season after the World Cup snub.
    Ihemelu will call on his own speed and athleticism to keep Cummings in check.
    “Omar is really getting his game going,” Ihemelu said of his former teammate. “He’s at full stride right now, playing the best I’ve seen him play.”
    Evenly matched, the difference in the game will be slight, players and coaches said.
    “If you look at any league in the world, any pairing in the world, the likelihood is that when goals are scored, mistakes are made,” Smith said. “Tomorrow night, we’re probably going to see more mistakes than you’ve seen before. If our guys can capitalize on them, we stand a good chance.
    “This game is based on forcing players to make mistakes. If you take them outside their comfort zone, they make mistakes. We all do.”

Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

where is he rumored to be going.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Last year a Mexican club and a championship club came after him but wouldn't come up with the money MLS wanted. This year I think it is going to be different.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Club Necaxa from the Mexican top league was showing interest but could not finalize a deal with MLS. I am not sure of the others.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
            Club Necaxa from the Mexican top league was showing interest but could not finalize a deal with MLS. I am not sure of the others.
            MLS man dem too ard. Dem buy cheap...except Henry and dem mman deh...and sell high!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

yeah..pay a lot of money for "past prime" players and stingy with the young talent!

stock market .... buy low sell high ... except...wait deh...is what did cause di stock market fi crash di odda day?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
              X