X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talking dis and talking dat about MLS football

Just 2 things are needed to improve the quality:

1. Change the format to a legue sytem i.e. relegating and promoting teams

2. Remove the ridiculous control of the finances of the clubs that the MLS has. Allow the clubs to run their own finances - increase that stupid salary cap.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

RE: Talking dis and talking dat about MLS football

North american sport will not support promotion and relegation. Its not in there culture and neither does it make it a better league if you ask me.What would happen for example if the New York Knicks were in the NDBL? would Madison square gardens still charge what they do for sinage, would the knicks still command what they do for broadcast rights? Would there not be an exodus of players. I just dont see the North American fans getting use to that. The MLS do need quality however.

Comment

It's because of how their big sport leagues are set up why they fool themselves into thinking that they are better than the rest of the world at their sports. World Series of Baseball, World Champions etc. when they only playing amongst themselves. It's a pleasure when I see them lose in baseball and basketball to other countries.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

OJ has a point and you cannot ignore it. Investors are not going to pump money into an MLS franchise to see the team relegated to the A League. Also, not very many A League teams are ready for MLS competition in my opinion. It is a cultural thing and relegation/promotion is not built into American sport. Teams will acquire players to get better if they under performed the previous season. They and their fans would not subscribe to playing in a division which is lower the next season.

Another thing why we cannot compare the USA (or as OJ says North America) with the competitions in the rest of the world is that in most of those countries you are trying o compare them with, their football has a long and rich culture. Some not only go back decades, but at times as much as a century and more. For example, England can have teams in sfive leagues with each league consisting of twenty teams. Such a system more caters to the promotion/relegation system.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
        X