X, Peter - Tonight's Game Highlights Roy's Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X, Peter - Tonight's Game Highlights Roy's Problems

Liverpool's win tonight did nothing but highlight for me Roy Hodgson's problem and the extent of the dilemma at my beloved club. Roy started the game with first team squad members Torres, Cole, Rodriguez and increasingly marginalized Ryan Babel sitting in the stands and first team regulars Gerrard, Skrtel and Lucas on the bench. All understandable considering their clash with Chel$kum on Sunday.

The starting lineup included 5 "regulars" - the indomitable Pepe Reina (one of those fantastic signings Rafa never gets credit for), Carragher, Konchesky, Johnson, and Mierles. Regular first team subs Kyrgiakos, Jovanovich, Poulsen and Ngog also started along with fringe players Spearling (21 y.o.) and Shelvey (18 y.o.).

Also on the bench - 20 year olds Martin Hansen (GK), Nathan Eccleston (S), Martin Kelly(D) and 19 year old Danny Wilson (D) - all with a combined total appearances for Liverpool this year of 5...wow, talk about reinforcements!!

This is the first of our problems - no depth. By contrast, City, in their loss to Lech today, started with Given, Lescott, Bridge, Richards, Zabaleta, boyata, SWP, Viera, Milner, A. Johnson and Adebayor with Hart, Kompany, Kolarov, Barry, Silva, Jo and Balotelli on the bench. What!!?? Yep - that was their bench. Throw Gerrard out of the mix and Silva alone is worth more than the rest of our reinforcements. Granted, their next game is against WBA, but you get my point.

To say that Napoli schooled our Reds in the first half was an understatement, taking a well deserved 1-0 lead in the 28' which held up at halftime. Ngog, Mierles and Jovanovich all had decent chances that went wasting.

This is the second problem - none of our first string midfielders are goal scorers. Even Ngog (our top goal scorer this year) couldn't buy his way into a top flight team in any of Europe's major leagues. None of the today's starters looked likely to score. It makes you wonder why we allowed Benayoun to leave for 6M pounds (Rafa's decision). We could have still gotten Cole for free, but I suspect the wage bill was problematic.

Roy had no choice but to call on skipper Steven Gerrard at half time as Liverpool looked like a team without purpose. And it worked. Gerrard's presence immediately upped the Liverpool tempo, embarrassing his team mates to a point where I could only put my head in my hands and ask "why can't they all play with his desire?".

This is our third problem - No on-field leadership without Gerrard. After a determined run by Shelvey that forced a horribly weak back pass from former Liverpool man Andres Dossena, the skipper's lunge barely beat Napoli goalie DeSanctis to put Liverpool level in the 75'.

As stated in Soccernet "Salvatore Aronica's 88th-minute trip on Johnson presented the captain with a penalty to double his tally and he duly obliged. In the directors' box Henry punched the air but he had barely sat down before Gerrard completed his hat-trick and sealed the victory, cleverly dinking the ball over De Sanctis from substitute Lucas Leiva's through-ball."

Great win. It puts Liverpool at the top of Group K. However, the Liverpool faithful should be well and truly worried about the task in front of Roy and newly appointed Director of Football Strategy Damien Comolli. Without Gerrard, the team is completely deplete of purpose. There is no desire, no winning mentality, no aggression, no tempo whatsoever. One has to wonder how Roy will fix this.

I worry that the Chelsea's visit on Sunday will lay bare for the world to see the gulf in talent that exists between Roy's squad and the table toppers. Unless and until Liverpool bring in some seriously determined and experienced players who have a will to win, goal scoring ability and hearts as big as their bank accounts, we're in deep dire straits.

We can only call on Super Skipper Gerrard for so long and hope that Roy is up to the task.

YNWA.
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Tonights game ? you mean every game ? Boss roy could have chelsea squad , Man U squad , Arsenal squad , Man City squad and the game would look ugly , win, loose or draw.

Its not coincidence that Agger is sidelined ,when he spoke up about the Kick the ball up field tactic , Gerra and Carragher should be shot.They both think they are bigger than pool , pity Gerrad! His stock now is down to 15 mill and falling he wanted freedom in the midfield to run wild , he got it , Carragher wanted to boot the ball up he got it.

My boy Roy !
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
      Tonights game ? you mean every game ? Boss roy could have chelsea squad , Man U squad , Arsenal squad , Man City squad and the game would look ugly , win, loose or draw.

Its not coincidence that Agger is sidelined ,when he spoke up about the Kick the ball up field tactic , Gerra and Carragher should be shot.They both think they are bigger than pool , pity Gerrad! His stock now is down to 15 mill and falling he wanted freedom in the midfield to run wild , he got it , Carragher wanted to boot the ball up he got it.

My boy Roy !
      X - I think you have to give Roy a chance. You may not like his football, or his tactics, but in truth, he requires time. He has a very thin squad as I highlighted compared to the teams challenging for the title. If NESV can fix the funds issue, then it will be up to Roy to find the right players - midfielders who can score, players with passion, and an heir apparent to Gerrard. We'll see.
      "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
        Liverpool's win tonight did nothing but highlight for me Roy Hodgson's problem and the extent of the dilemma at my beloved club. Roy started the game with first team squad members Torres, Cole, Rodriguez and increasingly marginalized Ryan Babel sitting in the stands and first team regulars Gerrard, Skrtel and Lucas on the bench. All understandable considering their clash with Chel$kum on Sunday.

The starting lineup included 5 "regulars" - the indomitable Pepe Reina (one of those fantastic signings Rafa never gets credit for), Carragher, Konchesky, Johnson, and Mierles. Regular first team subs Kyrgiakos, Jovanovich, Poulsen and Ngog also started along with fringe players Spearling (21 y.o.) and Shelvey (18 y.o.).

Also on the bench - 20 year olds Martin Hansen (GK), Nathan Eccleston (S), Martin Kelly(D) and 19 year old Danny Wilson (D) - all with a combined total appearances for Liverpool this year of 5...wow, talk about reinforcements!!

This is the first of our problems - no depth. By contrast, City, in their loss to Lech today, started with Given, Lescott, Bridge, Richards, Zabaleta, boyata, SWP, Viera, Milner, A. Johnson and Adebayor with Hart, Kompany, Kolarov, Barry, Silva, Jo and Balotelli on the bench. What!!?? Yep - that was their bench. Throw Gerrard out of the mix and Silva alone is worth more than the rest of our reinforcements. Granted, their next game is against WBA, but you get my point.

To say that Napoli schooled our Reds in the first half was an understatement, taking a well deserved 1-0 lead in the 28' which held up at halftime. Ngog, Mierles and Jovanovich all had decent chances that went wasting.

This is the second problem - none of our first string midfielders are goal scorers. Even Ngog (our top goal scorer this year) couldn't buy his way into a top flight team in any of Europe's major leagues. None of the today's starters looked likely to score. It makes you wonder why we allowed Benayoun to leave for 6M pounds (Rafa's decision). We could have still gotten Cole for free, but I suspect the wage bill was problematic.

Roy had no choice but to call on skipper Steven Gerrard at half time as Liverpool looked like a team without purpose. And it worked. Gerrard's presence immediately upped the Liverpool tempo, embarrassing his team mates to a point where I could only put my head in my hands and ask "why can't they all play with his desire?".

This is our third problem - No on-field leadership without Gerrard. After a determined run by Shelvey that forced a horribly weak back pass from former Liverpool man Andres Dossena, the skipper's lunge barely beat Napoli goalie DeSanctis to put Liverpool level in the 75'.

As stated in Soccernet "Salvatore Aronica's 88th-minute trip on Johnson presented the captain with a penalty to double his tally and he duly obliged. In the directors' box Henry punched the air but he had barely sat down before Gerrard completed his hat-trick and sealed the victory, cleverly dinking the ball over De Sanctis from substitute Lucas Leiva's through-ball."

Great win. It puts Liverpool at the top of Group K. However, the Liverpool faithful should be well and truly worried about the task in front of Roy and newly appointed Director of Football Strategy Damien Comolli. Without Gerrard, the team is completely deplete of purpose. There is no desire, no winning mentality, no aggression, no tempo whatsoever. One has to wonder how Roy will fix this.

I worry that the Chelsea's visit on Sunday will lay bare for the world to see the gulf in talent that exists between Roy's squad and the table toppers. Unless and until Liverpool bring in some seriously determined and experienced players who have a will to win, goal scoring ability and hearts as big as their bank accounts, we're in deep dire straits.

We can only call on Super Skipper Gerrard for so long and hope that Roy is up to the task.

YNWA.
        Make an offer form Yaya Torre and see if Spurs will give up G. Bale. Take Jamaica's Mitchily Waul - fast, tricky, goalscorer and all about team - needs to be stronger but smart and TEAM all the way. ...also needs a 2 more good central defenders.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Word is he is trying to get the Fulham defender and Shaun Wright Phillips.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            Sass, you are kidding - right!? If so , if not

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              Make an offer form Yaya Torre and see if Spurs will give up G. Bale. Take Jamaica's Mitchily Waul - fast, tricky, goalscorer and all about team - needs to be stronger but smart and TEAM all the way. ...also needs a 2 more good central defenders.
              I'll give you Torres for Tevez and A. Johnson. Keep Waul fi nex' year.

Comment

the Merican dem nah leggo nuh money.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

SWP?
                  He has to be patient. It is not a stretch to say SWP has not played regularly for 3 - 4 years. Travesty for such a good player to spend so much time in the boondocks!
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

the Merican dem nah leggo nuh money.
                    Then that means that they will sell Torres. If so, they should use that money to buy any 2 (or 3) of the following:

Luis Suarez (Ajax); Steven Defour (Std. Liege); Dzeko (Wolfsburg marksman); Schweinsteiger (Bayern - they are in bad shape like us); Danny Alves (Barca - they will be off loading players); Forlan (old, but effective); Ganso (Santos - young and promising, but will probably want to go to spain instead); Cardozo (Benfica front man); Lopez (Lyon - player of the year in France last year); Sanchez (Udinese - young, but very quick striker).

We desperately need more speed in the team, especially in the midfield. Our left back Konchesky too slow as well. Pace, pace, pace!!! High tempo football is the only way to go!!

Comment

roy is a negative coach, and mi did tink rafa did negative, him probably tink him still coaching fulham

Comment

the Boss not selling no stars, if him buying is youth, Arsenal style him have in mind

Comment

You have to give Roy time , Roy will screw up the funds , if what he did this summer is an indicator.That squad he has inherited should not be in a relegation battle.

Roy has to be shipped out before christmas , giving him money to spend would be a real disaster.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Paul listen to yourself man , yuh talking on par wid a midtable man on how to build a BIG SIDE?

Yuh nuh see sumting wrong ? SWP and a defender from fulham ?

Comment

Paul ask yourself this , if Rafa was at the Helm this season would we be fighting a relegation battle ?

Consider the transfers ((in & out )) Roy made this season , would you really trust him with funds to build a squad ?

Is he on par with Rafa as it relates to tactical acumen ?

When you put the factors of tactical acumen (relegation ) and tranfers over the summer , what time are you giving Roy to achieve what ?

Comment

Working...
                              X