Rooney signs five-year Manchester United deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooney signs five-year Manchester United deal

Wayne Rooney has made a shock U-turn and agreed a new five-year contract at Manchester United just days after announcing his intention to leave.

On Wednesday the 24-year-old striker said concerns over the club's squad strength were behind his original decision not to sign a new deal.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson said: "I'm delighted Wayne's agreed to stay."

Rooney stated: "I said on Wednesday the manager's a genius and it's his belief and support that convinced me to stay."

He added: "I'm delighted to sign another deal at United. I've spoken to the manager and the owners and they've convinced me this where I belong.

"I am signing a new deal in the absolute belief that the management, coaching staff, board and owners are totally committed to making sure United maintains its proud winning history - which is the reason I joined the club in the first place.

"I am sure the fans over the last week have felt let down by what they have read and seen.

"But my position was from concern over the future.

"The fans have been brilliant with me since I arrived and it's up to me through my performances to win them over again."

The agreement ends a period of intensive discussions at Old Trafford after Rooney issued a statement in which he revealed that United chief David Gill had not given him the assurance he was seeking about the future squad.

"It's been a difficult week but the intensity of the coverage is what we expect at Manchester United," Ferguson told the club's website.

"Sometimes, when you're in a club, it can be hard to realise just how big it is and it takes something like the events of the last few days to make you understand.

"I think Wayne now understands what a great club Manchester United is.

"I'm pleased he has accepted the challenge to guide the younger players and establish himself as one of United's great players.

"It shows character and belief in what we stand for.

"I'm sure everyone involved with the Club will now get behind Wayne and show him the support he needs to produce the performances we know he is capable of."

United supporter Liam Bradford, who is the assistant editor of the Red News fanzine told Radio 5 live: "I'm completely flabbergasted.

"It's been one of those weeks. It's been completely mad.

"I don't know whether this has been planned all along and this was just some elaborate mind game that Sir Alex Ferguson was playing with Wayne Rooney on board or whether it has just been completely surreal for the last seven days.

"At the end of the day, he is a world-class footballer and I really wouldn't want to see him anywhere else. I think I'm more relieved that anything he is not going across the city to the team that plays in blue."

Rooney moved to Old Trafford from Everton in 2004 for £25.6m and helped the club win three successive Premier League titles from 2007-09.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

What are we missing here? Was this an attempt to get the press to focus on something other than his scoring with prostitutes?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

You can exhale now yute...we never waan yuh poop inna anyway suh relax...

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
        You can exhale now yute...we never waan yuh poop inna anyway suh relax...

Really? Haven't you been reading what the MU poop inna at Man City been saying?
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Master move by fergie to give Rooney breathing space from the prostitution thing , master bloody move , now when he returns on the pitch , its not as a solicitor of sex but a solicitor for trophies.

Dis bredda wasnt going anywhere.
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
            Master move by fergie to give Rooney breathing space from the prostitution thing , master bloody move , now when he returns on the pitch , its not as a solicitor of sex but a solicitor for trophies.

Dis bredda wasnt going anywhere.
            Well it certainly cause panic in the organization. The youth could walk away and MU would get nothing.

All the reports I'm reading, I have to wonder if Fergie is really that cunning?

Comment

Genius!!!! Now we'll see a MURDEROUS Rooney!!! BRICKY......Apache WHO.........?????
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

mourinho to united. nuff said!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Rooney agents tell him how much money he can get but when he saw how he was going to be a villan in England for the rest of his career they realise that it was not worth it. Him better start behaving himself now and start playing some ball.

You wonder why England can't win nothing? Them go a world cup and most a the top ballers a worry bout contract and money including Rooney, Milner and others.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Rooney done get exposed!

Tevez at least showed he had cojones.
                    Peter R

Comment

Yuhseeit...no man cyaan bad up di Apache...

Comment

Working...
                      X