Tyrone Marshall - file

Ryan Johnson

David Beckham

Thierry Henry

Lovel Palmer (left)

Omar Cummings

Rafael Marquez

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
    //Define: ContentSlider("slider_ID", [autorotate_miliseconds], [custompaginatelinkstext], [customnextlinktext]) ContentSlider("slider1", 15000) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 10000) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 3000, linktextarray) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 3000, linktextarray, "Foward") //OR ContentSlider("slider1", "", linktextarray) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", "", "", "Foward")

Gordon Williams, Gleaner Writer Scouts for top professional football clubs in [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]North [COLOR=blue !important]America[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] have quietly stepped up their search for Jamaican talent.
    Sources at several Major League Soccer (MLS) clubs, and even the lower-level United Soccer Leagues (USL), confirmed that Jamaican players have become prime targets, not just for their skills on the field - specifically speed, athleticism and technical ability - but their cheaper price tag.
    "(The clubs) are interested in Jamaican players," Tyrone Marshall, a national player in MLS for over a decade and currently with the Seattle Sounders, said recently. "They are coming to Jamaica."
    "Definitely, there is an interest (in Jamaican players)," added Reggae Boyz striker Omar Cummings, a star for MLS's Colorado Rapids.
    Currently, at least a dozen Jamaica-born players are in MLS. According to Jamaicans in the league, club administrators have told them of their ramped up interest in local-based players.
    "(They ask) just in general," explained Cummings, "like if they have a position open. They themselves will be looking at players that I don't even know about."
    SHIFT
    The renewed interest is a shift in approach, from when Jamaicans were bypassed because some clubs labelled them lazy and lacking professional attitude.
    "I think we've shed that (bad image) quite a while back," said Marshall. "Those old traditional coaches had attached that stigma to the Jamaican players. Now they see Jamaican players work hard like anyone else, or harder. So that stigma is no longer there."
    The scouts are now being ordered to look closer at talent from Jamaica and the wider Caribbean, but without public fanfare. According to Marshall, MLS scouts quietly flocked to the last Digicel Caribbean Cup, which Jamaica won two years ago. The case of striker, prolific Digicel Premier League goalscorer Devon Hodges, who is currently at Tivoli Gardens FC, is a recent example of a Jamaican drawing heightened interest from MLS clubs.
    "Quite a few teams sent someone there to look (at Hodges)," said Marshall.
    Hodges, along with other Jamaicans, have earned tryouts with MLS clubs in recent years. The striker had a stint with the Rapids. Lovel Palmer, formerly of Harbour View, signed with the Houston Dynamo this season. Khari Stephenson, who started his pro career in MLS, recently returned to the league with the San Jose Earthquakes after time in Europe.
    IMPACT
    Jamaican players like Cummings, Marshall, Stephenson, Shavar Thomas of the Kansas City Wizards, Andy Williams of reigning champions Real Salt Lake, Earthquakes' Ryan Johnson, plus newcomers O'Brian White of Toronto FC and Shaun Francis of Columbus Crew have been selected in the MLS draft by clubs out of North American universities. Most have made solid club contributions. Cummings is third among scorers in MLS this season with 12 goals, while St James native Jeff Cunningham of FC [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Dallas[/COLOR][/COLOR] tied the record for most career MLS goals with 132 on October 2.
    "The majority of the MLS teams have a Jamaican playing in the starting eleven," said Reggae Boy Nicholas Addlery, a former MLS player now in USL with [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Puerto [COLOR=blue !important]Rico[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Islanders.
    " ... So you can see that the impact of Jamaicans is coming more to the forefront of these leagues, and it's becoming more important."
    Yet, while the search for Reggae Boyz talent has been extended deeper, it appears the clubs are not eager to advertise their interest in Jamaicans or their scouting missions to the island.
    "They want to come in under the radar," explained Marshall.
    Clubs do not want to alert rivals of their interest in a particular player, cautious not to spark a bidding war over the price for his services. Scouts also want to observe players in their natural environment, without them knowing they are being watched, to get a better idea of their attitude.
    "It's a character issue as well," said Marshall.
    discreet enquiry
    Earlier this year, a scout from one MLS club, who is also an assistant for a [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]national [COLOR=blue !important]team[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] in CONCACAF, discreetly enquired where he could watch top Jamaican players during a visit to the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]island[/COLOR][/COLOR]. A trend appears to be forming.
    "I remember a year ago ... I was talking with the GM (general manager) and he was down in Jamaica scouting," said Johnson recently. "These are things they are telling me after the fact. So they're doing their homework in Jamaica."
    According to Johnson, who left Jamaica as a child and grew up in the US, American players generally do not have the physical talents Jamaicans do, and North American clubs may have recognised that some of those assets cannot be coached.
    "Just the natural speed," said the striker. "Speed is the first thing. Speed is one big thing that Jamaica has. That's one thing that a lot of people come down (to see), and just the natural skill level of certain players that you just pick up from when you are young."
    Some MLS players, for example, David Beckham, Thierry Henry and Rafa Marquez, earn millions of dollars in salary per year. Jamaicans can hope to command only a small fraction of that if they join the league, although the gap in talent between them and the trio is no longer wide. Jamaicans are relatively unknown quantities in world football, especially in MLS where name recognition is a key to generating fan support and revenue for the club.
    Yet, although the low price tag makes them attractive, the increasing influx of Jamaicans in North American leagues could raise the Boyz's profile appreciably in the next few years, especially as the US bids to host another World Cup. Word is spreading.
    "It does get around the league that Jamaica has some talent there," said Marshall.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

You cannot teach speed but you can coach how to utilise it ? In that department Jamaica has failed misereable.Our wingers and left/right backs are under utilised in terms of speed.

Wingers dont beat down that wing and the left/right backs dont overlap .John Barnes is a classic example of what can happen when speed is utlisied, and i bet Barnes would tell you he wasnt the fastest boy at Jawges in his age group.
    Last edited by Sir X; October 16, 2010, 01:23 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

never thought of Johnny as a speedster per se.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Thank God for di MLS , the mexicans will soon be following as H.L says chuss mi and then the bidding war will start .Anyone who knows our style of play its physical and (individually) fast we like to run at defenders tek on a man , we have a million Drogba, ronaldos , romarios going to waste .I see what Tappa is trying to do in putting that Jamaican style on our game. I hope he finds that balance , a midfield general is lacking , no too strange to me because that requires a thinking brain or a man with vision , considering we are just addressing our natural asset of speed , how long will it take to impart the knowledge of being a midfield general?

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Typo above : (individually) fast we like to run at defenders tek on a man

Comment

The fact is the future is bright because have about 8-10 players in college with the possibility of going to the MLS in the next 2-3 years.

Shelton brother just move to a D1 college, is either cleveland or Cincinnati. MLS will have a bigger roster in the next year and at least 2 more teams coming in so more oppurtunities.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

the future is always bright , it comes down to what you make of the present.

Comment

well it brighter now. There is brighter, brighter, brighter and Brightest.

Comment

hopefully we have ZERO freddy adu's.

would they say that there is an abundance of TALENT?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                  X