• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few College youth well doing very well

Akron men's soccer: Mattocks, Tulloch key to staying on top
    By Michael Beaven
    Special to the Beacon Journal

POSTED: 09:06 p.m. EDT, Oct 12, 2010

Darren Mattocks and McKauly Tulloch grew up in Jamaica unaware of the University of Akron and its men's soccer team.
    They had no idea of UA's tradition of fielding successful soccer teams. Mattocks and Tulloch recently became familiar with the program through friends and coaches in Jamaica and when the Zips finished national runner up in the College Cup last season.
    This past summer, Mattocks and Tulloch joined the UA soccer team, and each player has contributed to the No. 1-ranked Zips, who play at Penn State at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
    ''I chose Akron because I heard they were the No. 1 team in the nation last year and they fell short, so I wanted to come and help the team win this year,'' Mattocks said.
    Mattocks, 20, leads UA (9-0-1) with seven goals and two assists.

''We needed him to be good,'' UA coach Caleb Porter said. ''We recruited him to take the place of Teal Bunbury. The last two years we have had strikers [Steve Zakuani and Bunbury] that have led the country in scoring. So, it was big shoes for him to fill. I would say at this point he is on track, hopefully, to be on the level those guys were.

''Obviously, he has still got to get a lot better, but he has seven goals in the first 10 games and we are very pleased with that.''
    Mattocks has started in all 10 games alongside junior Darlington Nagbe, who has three goals and five assists.
    ''The University of Akron is a very good team and Caleb Porter is a very good coach,'' said Mattocks, a native of Portmore, Jamaica.
    ''The season has been outstanding. We just have to stay humble and stay focused.''
    Tulloch, 19, has scored one goal for the Zips in seven games as a reserve.
    ''The first time I heard of Akron, I was more familiar with UConn and USF and some other schools,'' said Tulloch, a native of Kingston, Jamaica.
    ''I went on the Akron Web site and looked at their profile and their statistics from the past four years, which is great. So I said, 'OK this is a perfect spot for me,' and I knew another Jamaican was going to be here, which was also kind of exciting.''
    Mattocks and Tulloch said they have kept in touch with family and friends via phone calls, text messages and e-mails. Their loved ones also got to see them play on Fox Soccer Channel Sept. 4 when host UA defeated then-No. 2-ranked Tulsa 4-0.
    UA junior Kofi Sarkodie (four goals, two assists), freshman Perry Kitchen (four goals, one assist) and junior Michael Nanchoff (two goals, five assists) and senior Anthony Ampaipitakwong (two goals, four assists) also have been key offensively.
    ''The guys train hard and put in the work,'' Tulloch said. ''Coach Caleb Porter pushes us hard. He is never satisfied. He always wants us to go harder and harder. That is why we are performing so well.''
    Penn State (8-3-0) is ranked No. 26 nationally. The Nittany Lions have outscored their opponents 27-14 and enter Wednesday's game following a 2-1 win over visiting Michigan State this past Sunday. The Spartans were No. 18 and are now No. 21.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Watch out for a few more Jamaican college ballers in the MLS very soon. There are a few youths well who are playing very good this year.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Excellent! Mattocks I hear was a good student as well at Bridgeport High.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
      X