Van Marwijk had 'no option' but to drop De Jong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Van Marwijk had 'no option' but to drop De Jong

Nigel de Jong has been dropped from the Netherlands squad for two upcoming Euro 2012 qualifiers, with Oranje boss Bert van Marwijk claiming he had "no option" after the Manchester City midfielder's "wild and unnecessary" leg-breaking challenge on Hatem Ben Arfa.

De Jong has been roundly criticised for the tackle, during his side's 2-1 victory over Newcastle on Sunday, which has left Frenchman Ben Arfa with a broken tibia and fibula, and he has developed a reputation for his uncompromising approach to marshalling the midfield.
    Last season, he risked ending the World Cup hopes of Bolton's USA midfielder Stuart Holden after breaking his leg, while he launched into a chest-high challenge on Xabi Alonso during the World Cup final.
    Van Marwijk himself appeared unimpressed with the clash with Ben Arfa, telling Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad: "I've seen the pictures back. It was a wild and unnecessary offence. He went in much too hard.
    "It is unfortunate, especially since he does not need to do it. The funny thing is that the referee did not even show a yellow card for it. Apparently, there are other standards. But I have a problem with the way Nigel needlessly looks to push the limit. I am going to speak to him.''
    Van Marwijk revealed on Monday that he had left De Jong out of the Netherlands squad for the upcoming Euro 2012 qualifiers against Moldova and Sweden.
    "I just told the players," Van Marwijk said. "I told them that I saw no other option. In the future I will agree with Nigel to talk. Now I want the staff and the players to concentrate on the next two important qualifiers."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...ro2012&cc=5901
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

This De Jong fellow is a one man wreaking crew. There are games where his closing down the opponents is amazing, but ************************ man, sometimes its as if he belongs in the NFL.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

foot to the chest is illegal in the nfl btw...it would be more approriate on one of those extreme kickboxing type reality shows...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

He must be a Ninja because referees never catch his fouls in real time.

Comment

In a March friendly vs. the USA he broke Stuart Holden's leg. Then there was the chest-kick in the World Cup final. Now he's broken Ben Arfa's leg.

De Jong is on par to make 2010 his most thuggish year ever!
          "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
          - Xavi

Comment

Working...
          X