• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better to be fast than rich

Red Bulls 2, Galaxy 0

Better to Be Fast Than Rich as Red Bulls Win

By BILLY WITZ

Published: September 25, 2010

var articleToolsShareData = {"url":"http:\/\/www.nytimes.com\/2010\/09\/25\/sports\/soccer\/25soccer.html","headline":"Better to Be Fast Than Rich as Red Bulls Win","description":"For all the million-dollar players on the field, it was not the one with the thickest wallet who made the difference.","keywords":"Soccer,New York Red Bulls,Los Angeles Galaxy,Major League Soccer","section":"sports","sub_section":"soccer", "section_display":"Sports","sub_section_display":" Soccer","byline":"By BILLY WITZ","pubdate":"September 25, 2010","passkey":null};function getShareURL() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.url);}fun ction getShareHeadline() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.headline) ;}function getShareDescription() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.descripti on);}function getShareKeywords() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.keywords) ;}function getShareSection() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.section); }function getShareSubSection() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.sub_secti on);}function getShareSectionDisplay() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.section_d isplay);}function getShareSubSectionDisplay() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.sub_secti on_display);}function getShareByline() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.byline);} function getSharePubdate() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.pubdate); }function getSharePasskey() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.passkey); }

CARSON, Calif. — For all the million-dollar players on the field Friday night when the Red Bulls played the Los Angeles Galaxy, it was not the one with the thickest wallet who made the difference.

Enlarge This Image

Gus Ruelas/Associated Press

Galaxy defender Sean Franklin, left, tangled with Red Bulls midfielder Joel Lindpere in the second half.

The Times's soccer blog has the world's game covered from all angles.
    Go to the Goal Blog

It was the one with the swiftest feet.
    Dane Richards, one of the Major League Soccer’s fastest players, scored one goal and drew a penalty that Juan Pablo Angel converted as the Red Bulls earned a 2-0 victory over Los Angeles before a capacity crowd of 27,000 at the Home Depot Center.
    The Red Bulls (44 points) moved into a tie for the Eastern Conference lead with Columbus, which has a game in hand and plays at New England on Saturday. The Western Conference also tightened up. Los Angeles, which has led the conference since March, has clinched a playoff berth. But Real Salt Lake, which has not lost at home this season, can catch the Galaxy (50 points) if it can beat visiting Colorado Saturday.
    The win was more than just significant in the standings for the Red Bulls: it was a confidence booster. It was the Red Bulls’ first victory this season over a team considered one of the league’s best.
    “We have played Real Salt Lake, Columbus twice, the Galaxy at home, and we haven’t picked up a point against the big three teams,” Red Bulls Coach Hans Backe said earlier this week. “It’s a little bit special to play the cream of the M.L.S., which the Galaxy are, and see if we can compete.”
    The game, broadcast nationally, lost some of its spark earlier this week when the Red Bulls announced that Thierry Henry, the former Arsenal and Barcelona star, would be sidelined with a knee sprain.
    But it still had the four other highest paid players in Major League Soccer — the Galaxy’s David Beckham ($6.5 million) and Landon Donovan ($2.1 million), and the Red Bulls’ Rafael Marquez ($5.5 million and Angel ($1.9 million).
    Neither had as much of an impact on the game as Richards.
    He scored in the 36th minute, when he knocked in a rebound of Joel Linpere’s shot that had ricocheted off the post. Richards helped double the lead in the 60th minute, when he ran around Galaxy defender Yohance Marshall, who locked arms with him and pulled Richards down in the penalty area, drawing a penalty. Marshall, who was victimized on both goals, was replacing the suspended center back Omar Gonzalez.
    Angel easily converted the penalty when his hesitation move sent Galaxy goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts to the right and he calmly slotted the ball to the left.
    The Galaxy managed only three shots on goal — none until Beckham’s 35-yard free kick in the 65th minute.

S. Spurs, you just don't know how much I miss not being able to see those games A-Live. I think their new stadium opened the year i left NJ.

This week-end I was wearing my Red and Black MetroStars top....still love them:

On another note...your team got flogged by lowly WestHam. I would bet that all the local pubs in the West Ham end of the city were sold out of beer .....(as if that's possible).

See how Man City put licks on Chelsea?

Arsenal's getting ready to drop 2 in a row.

Chussssss mi.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
      S. Spurs, you just don't know how much I miss not being able to see those games A-Live. I think their new stadium opened the year i left NJ.

This week-end I was wearing my Red and Black MetroStars top....still love them:

On another note...your team got flogged by lowly WestHam. I would bet that all the local pubs in the West Ham end of the city were sold out of beer .....(as if that's possible).

See how Man City put licks on Chelsea?

Arsenal's getting ready to drop 2 in a row.

Chussssss mi.
      The new stadium is great, it's a real football stadium, if you are sitting by the corner flag you can seethe whole field including the corner kicker kick the ball. The food options are much better than the medowlands.

Only problem is parking, the lines to get into a lot are long and confusing, this because the main road leading in is a single lane.

Spurs will bounce back, we need some frill and flair...a yard baller who do them well

Man City

Comment

Working...
      X