Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adebayor: Arsenal will be unstoppable

Togo
    <SPAN class=art-title2>Adebayor: Arsenal will be unstoppable</SPAN> <TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=5 width=150 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
    </TD></TR><TR class=paddingall><TD vAlign=top> <SPAN class=textblack11px_normal>Emmanuel Adebayor, who wasted little time in getting among the goals for his new club, Arsenal, gave a candid and exclusive interview to FIFA Magazine about his on-field hopes and off-field problems.
    </SPAN><SPAN class=textblack11px_bold>FIFA Magazine
    </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">(FIFA.com)</SPAN> <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">08 Jan 2007</SPAN>

<SPAN class=art-text>Emmanuel Adebayor is just 21 and already one of Africa's top players.Thetalented and controversial striker recently took time to speak to FIFA magazine about the future forTogo's national team, his current club, Arsenal, and why he is considering retiring from international football soon.

FIFA magazine: What is it like to bear the responsibility of being Togo's most high-profile footballer?
    Emmanuel Adebayor:
    I am very happy and proud that I am carrying the responsibility. When I was very young, I had idols likeNwankno Kanu, Abedi Pele and Kalusha Bwalya. These were the footballers I wanted to emulate and I am happy with where I am today. I love the way the people at home have shown me love for what I do. When you consider the fact that I am barely 21 years old and I have had such good fortune in my life, having already featured at the World Cup finals, the African Cup of Nations and in a team that reached the UEFA Champions League final, I cannot but be pleased with the direction in which my career is going.

<TABLE id=SLIVER cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 summary="" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

If anyone had told you, when you were playing street football in Lome, that you would achieve these things would you have believed it?
    To be honest, if I had been told five years ago that I would reach this level, I would never have believed it. For me and my friends watching players like Dennis Bergkamp and Nwankwo Kanu on television, being like them was just a fantasy. But now that I am at Arsenal, I have a lot of things to prove and I will show what I am capable of.

Your physique and playing style have been likened to those of your idol, Kanu.
    That's true. People keep telling me that I play like him. In fact I was nicknamed Kanu at the start of my career. But I didn't mind that because I was proud to be compared to him. I am not saying this because I am now at Arsenal, but Kanu has been my hero and will continue to be so until the end of my career.

You're quite young but you always seem to be carrying the expectations of the whole country when you play for Togo. How do you cope with that?
    I thank God that he gives me the ability to handle this but I must say that I get a lot of support from my colleagues and the coaching staff too. I am proud to represent my country and am aware that I must do my best at all times. It is important that our people are happy when they see us defending Togo's honour.

Your parents come from Osun State in Nigeria. Did you ever think that you could have featured for the Super Eagles instead?
    Of course! When I was younger, I did think of playing for the Super Eagles. But I played football in Ghana as well, as I went to school there. When I went to France, the Togolese national side called on me when I was 16 and I decided to accept the invitation. I knew that it would be difficult for me for me to make the Nigerian team, I would have had to be playing at a very high level, as the competition for places in the team is very tough as they have so many top
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Adebayor: Arsenal will be unstoppable

Don't mek Shatta see this or Bora get fired, Keshi is on the way

"<SPAN><SPAN><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl1_lblFullMessage><SPAN class=art-text>What happened at the tournament is an old story. But when I think of things now, I behaved badly by not respecting his decision. I am a player and I have to accept what the boss says, but I was desperate to play at the tournament and prove that I am one of Africa's top players. Our overall performance was quite disappointing and I hope that we will do better at the 2008 finals in Ghana. Keshi is like an elder brother to me. He was certainly more than a boss. It will always be a pleasure to keep in contact with him and know how he is faring.</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN> "
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

This Bredda sound like Lowe , I thought it was Onandi alone that give these problems in dem youthfull age.I wonder how many other african youths go through this, keep in mind he is one of the millions aspiring ballas.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

When you beat Liverpool, you do feel no one can stop you. (Clap)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You call that beat? Unuh got treated like pizza dough.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie (1/9/2007)You call that beat? Unuh got treated like pizza dough.

:Laff:
            No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

treated like pizza dough? yuh mean "kneady"?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

x, i thought the same thing... the only difference isadebeyor's ability to effectively articulate his thoughts...

oh i wish more of our youths could develop that skill... there is nothing likethe ability toexpress thought...
                'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh>Liverpool 3-6 Arsenal </DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><DIV class=mvb><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=416 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom><DIV class=mvb><SPAN class=byl>By Sam Lyon </SPAN></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
                  </DIV>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV> <DIV class=cap>Baptista celebrates his second goal in a clinical Arsenal display</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Julio Baptista notched four as Arsenal routed Liverpool to seal a Carling Cup semi-final clash with rivals Tottenham.

Jeremie Aliadiere ran on to Kolo Toure's pass to score the first, before Robbie Fowler flicked in to level.

But a Baptista free-kick and tap-in either side of Alex Song Billong's smart finish made it 4-1 at half time.

Two more from Baptista, the first from 20 yards, sealed it after he had missed a penalty, though Steven Gerrard and Sami Hyypia notched late consolations.

<DIV class=avinline>It was a remarkable contest and one that few would have predicted when, against expectations, it was revealed before kick-off that Rafael Benitez had opted for a weakened starting XI. </DIV>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sib606><DIV class=sihf><DIV id=q2></DIV><BR clear=all></DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV class=mva></DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Despite the Reds' weekend FA Cup exit, only Gerrard and Jerzy Dudek survived from the team that lost 3-1 to Arsenal on Saturday, and the selection proved key to the hosts' downfall, with Lee Peltier and Gabriel Paletta in particular exposed in defence.

The hosts' cause was not helped by the fourth-minute withdrawal of winger Mark Gonzalez, who sustained a serious shin injury in an innocuous challenge on Theo Walcott.

And, despite the early threat of Craig Bellamy, the writing was on the wall from the moment Aliadiere tapped home the opener, finishing at the second attempt after showing fine skill to pull down Toure's long pass.

Liverpool were level minutes later, Fowler clipping home his 31st League Cup goal behind his legs from Luis Garcia's cross-shot, but Arsenal's youthful pace and endeavour continued to cause the Reds all sorts of problems and the game was beyond doubt before half time.

Firstly, Baptista curled home a free-kick from 25 yards for only his second Arsenal goal, and then in injury time the Londoners scored two in quick succession to stun the hosts.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV> <DIV class=cap>Gonzalez's injury was indicative of a disastrous night for Liverpool</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Song Billong made it 3-1 from close range after benefiting from a ricochet off Sami Hyypia and then Aliadiere was controversially ruled onside before pulling back to Baptista, who slid into an empty net to cap a remarkable end to the half.

A resolute start to the second half from the hosts lasted just 10 minutes as Arsenal continued their rampant display, and the Gunners could even afford Dudek's penalty save from Baptista after Hyypia had clearly hauled down Aliadiere.

No sooner had the Anfield crowd found their voice again, that Aliadier
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Very good interview! He handles himself well. I am proud of him. (tup)
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
                    X