X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morgan pushing hard to launch career in Europe

Morgan pushing hard to launch career in Europe
    Published: Saturday | September 4, 2010 0 Comments and 0 Reactions
    Marvin Morgan chases the ball during a training session for the Reggae Boyz at St George's College. - Ricardo Makyn/Staff PhotographerRyon Jones, Gleaner Writer

There has been a plethora of speculation as to why Marvin Morgan Jr is not included in the national senior football team programme and is no longer a student at St George's College.

Morgan came to prominence last year as he had an outstanding schoolboy football season, playing a vital role helping St George's to retain their Manning Cup and Oliver Shield titles.

As a result of Morgan's outstanding performance during the season, he was invited to train with the national senior football team. He, however, left for a trial stint with English Premier League club Birmingham City in January this year, and has not returned to the national set-up since his return in March.

Head coach of the national senior team, Theodore Whitmore, believes only Morgan can speak to why he is absent from the programme.

"Marvin Morgan would be the best person to answer the question," said Whitmore. "We have called Marvin Morgan to the senior team and Marvin Morgan left the camp to go on trial. We made some enquiries about Marvin and he isn't even at the Manning Cup training, for reasons I don't know. It is not the Jamaica Football Federation or the coaching staff why Marvin Morgan is not here," he added.

His venture overseas for trial did not only affect his football at the national level, but also saw him not sitting his exams at St George's.

Made best decision

However, Morgan pointed out in a press release on Thursday that he believes he made the best decision for his career.

"I knew that this adventure would seriously conflict with my attendance at St George's College and that my examination programme would be interrupted," said Morgan. "This was a career decision and I was very aware of the risks.

"After careful deliberations and consultation with my family, close advisers and agent, I decided that I would accept and pursue a professional football career provided that education was combined and included in this career move," he added.

Morgan did well during his trial stint at Birmingham but was unable to obtain a work permit. His agent then arranged another trial for him at a club in Denmark. He should have travelled to Denmark in April but had visa issues. Some headway has been made where the visa is concerned and it is expected to be issued in a few weeks.

The 18-year old is grateful to all the persons who have helped to mould his career thus far.

Morgan said: "I feel a deep sense of gratitude to the St George's College community that strengthened my academic background, and coach Neville Bell, who has brought out the best football talents in many schoolboy student/athletes.

"I thank Carlton Dennis at Santos for the role he played in developing me as a footballer and person. I thank national coach, Mr Theodore Whitmore, for calling me to the national programme and allowing me the chance to become a professional footballer. I also want to thank the Boys' Town community and Andrew Price for further developing my career."

I see no problem with his decision! I wish him well with his drive to make it as a pro footballer. This is the right age to make a go of it. Hopefully ateam will pick him up.

And Tappa needs not punish him for leaving camp to go on trial.
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

me either. He is young, he still has a few years to recoup if things don't go as plan. The problem with Jamaica is there is no second chance for so many of these youngsters.

You think them woulda cuss Bill Gates too for leaving a good institution fi go start a little company name Microsoft?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X