• Show
Clear All

• No apology, no football - Western Referees Group halts play

No apology, no football - Western Referees Group halts play
    published: Tuesday | January 9, 2007
    <DIV class=KonaBody Ar6jv="true">

Adrian Frater, News Editor

Western Bureau:

Unresolved differences between the Jamaica Football Fede-ration (JFF) Western Confederation (JFFWC) and the Western Referees' Group (WRG) has left the 2006-07 Captain's Bakery Western Super Football League in limbo as last weekend's scheduled games were not played on account of the impasse, which dates back to last season.

Explaining his group's decision not to officiate in the scheduled games, WRG chairman Texchus Nembhard, said the group is strongly opposed to derogatory statements made last year by confederation chairman EvertonTomlinson and vice chairman Sheridan Samuels, and wants them to apologise.

Top of list

"We have discussed the matter as a group and we have taken a decision not to do any games unless we get written apologies from both men," said Nembhard. "There are other issues of concern that we would like to have resolved but the apologies top the list."

However, when Tomlinson was contacted, he declared ignorance of the charges of the WRG and said their action came as a surprise to him. He further hinted that the WRG's disagreement might have stemmed from the JFFWC's decision to exercise its right to bring in outside referees for last year's Super League semi-finals and final.

"I know we have had disagree-ments with the WRG over our decision to use outside referees for our semi-finals and finals last year but I thought that was behind us," said Tomlinson. "I can recall making a statement that Mr. Nembhard objected to during one of our meetings to discuss the referee issue and I can remember issuing an immediate apology."

Monies owed

Nembhard, who said his group is ready to take up their whistles once the apologies are made, has written to the JFFWC requesting a meeting for tomorrow to discuss the non-payment of monies owed to the group, the decision to bring in outside referees and the apologies.

Tomlinson welcomed the meeting, saying he is ready to sit down with the WRG in the hope that they will arrive at an amicable solution. In fact, he hinted that he was ready to apologise if the group can prove that he has offended them.

"I am prepared to sit down and listen to their concerns," said Tomlinson. "If they can provide the evidence to show that I have done something wrong I would gladly apologise, in the best interest of football."</DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X