• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I got to get a contract...to take care of my family"

Darby thankful after near-death experience
    BY DANIA BOGLE Observer staff reporter
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010

FORMER Under-20 football captain and Portmore United player Andre Darby is grateful for being alive following a July car crash which left him in a coma at hospital for several weeks.

Darby, with a long, jagged scar to the left side of his face from mid-forehead to eye, was in the stands at Ferdie Neita Park on Sunday watching as his team blanked Village United 3-0 in a Digicel Premier League encounter. He was welcomed to rousing cheers by the match announcer.

DARBY... still struggles to walk
    1/1

He told the Observer it was a little over a week since he had left hospital and his recuperation was expected to be slow, with doctors' prognosis being anywhere between a year and 18 months.

However, this seems not to deter Darby, who was all smiles throughout the game.

"I'm feeling better than before... before, I couldn't breath. I couldn't even talk, but now I'm just coming along, so it's going to take a while," he said.
    "I said (to myself) 'look how I could have died... a player could have gone'," he added.

The 21-year-old Darby, who suffered a fractured skull in the accident which took place on the Hellshire road in St Catherine, will start therapy this week.

He said he had got a lot of support from the Portmore United family.
    "They came to the hospital to look for me — my manager Mr (Clive) Marshall, Mr (Horace) Reid and showed me their full support," he explained.

Darby, who still struggles to walk, added that life had changed for him, but said his primary focus was making a quick recovery and getting a contract as soon as possible.

"I got to get a contract as I get back soon because I have to take care of my family," he said.
    Last edited by Karl; September 15, 2010, 12:11 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

He should forget about a contract and focus long term on his education.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

yuhseeit! but who is going to tell him that? who will take the time to convince him of that?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

right now no need for that, he probably needs that incentive when undergoing his physical therapy.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

not your cleint?

Comment

the sooner reality sets in, the better. his physical therapy needs to take place alongside his mental therapy, imo.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

no.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

it's a delicate balance but, he must come to terms that he will not physically be able to compete for a contract ..... it makes no sense writing that off with him until he has tried ..... many a oerson out there who were told you will never...etc again and through sheer will and determination surpassed expectations.

at the this stage he needs to be encouraged with his rehab, everything else will fall in line. if he reains in a wheelchair for 2 years without progress and still harbours those intentions THEN there are OTHER problems.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

true, i would not write him off. i would never tell him he will never play again! but the sooner he begins to look for other options from which he may support his family, the better. if he gets back to playing ball, great!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Also while in rehab he can seek to further his education on a part time basis.
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                      it's a delicate balance but, he must come to terms that he will not physically be able to compete for a contract ..... it makes no sense writing that off with him until he has tried ..... many a oerson out there who were told you will never...etc again and through sheer will and determination surpassed expectations.

at the this stage he needs to be encouraged with his rehab, everything else will fall in line. if he reains in a wheelchair for 2 years without progress and still harbours those intentions THEN there are OTHER problems.
                      Considering he had brain injury...serious brain injury he needs to stay away from heading a ball for a long, long time!
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                      X