U5 soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U5 soccer

My two kids will be starting U5 soccer tomorrow. YMCA is sponsoring it. They have over 4000 kids in their soccer program.

I am a voleenteer coach, first time at this level. Each Sat for the next 2 months the kids train for 30 minutes and play a 30 minutes game. The teams are named after world cup team, I will be coaching Mexico .

I am showing how organize these people especially since Sickko and other don't believe in starting competitive sports this young.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

'ssasin...a keep axing you--which country the kids are going to run out for..........

You are in a quandary. The Kids will be eligible to wear the English jersey, the USA jersey and the Jamaican Jersey...

A have feelin' I know which shirt you want them to represent.

But so true,the level of organization that exists here for soccer is unprecedented. Kids from a early age learn the many disciplines of the sport here in the US.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I am showing how organize these people especially since Sickko and other don't believe in starting competitive sports this young.
      At that age it is not competitive Sass, more like recreational. It would not be good to let them start being competitive at such a young age until they have an understanding of the game.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Tilla while they have to be some recreational, The teams are named after world cup countries, and the parents are involved. One Parent from another U5 program tell me how the parents are involved and there comes the competitiveness, they want their kids to WIN.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I have done the coaching thing in the past too Sass so I understand the parent involvement thing. When I coached however, it was under-18 boys, so it was a little different.

I do not care what they name the teams or what parents think, at age 5, the kids are learning the game and how to play with others in a team setting. The important thing here should be letting them develop an understanding and love for the game, not about winning.

If it is all about winning, the you could lose some kids who play on losing teams as they feel they are no good at the sport and want to try something else. Coaches have to know how to quell the enthusiasm of parents for the better of the team, the game and the kids involved.

I hope you as a coach are not jumping on the bandwagon with parents and seeing this as the second coming of the World Cup in 2010.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

T, you are right for most part and I have no problem with what you are saying. For me it is about the kids learning the game. There are so many kids. I usually coach at a higher age group. From what I saw this morning most of the kids will have to develop a love for the game but the fact is the management level is so loose and most of the coaches are left up to their devices.

Some parents are competitive and if the see other teams winining the will want their kids on it, as they think that is the only way to measure performance. What strikes me is that you have to have a competition every week against another team.

Comment

Working...
            X