X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goal to R. Johnson, JA 1:0 over Costa Rica

We have been playing ok so far but a good goal by Johnson

Comment

Team playing a bit better later on in the game.

A rasping free kick from about 30 meters out by D. Philips tested the Costa Rican Keeper.

However, we are not keeping the ball in posession

Comment

Final score Jamaica 1 - Costa Rica 0.

Still not impressive with our passing game. We have a serious problem with possession football. Ryan Johnson reminds me of Lowe, but not as dangerous with the shot, nevertheless he is a good forward. I have seen better games from Dane, didnt Phillips held on to the ball too long sometimes

Comment

Game over: JA 1:0 over Costa Rica

Not a bad game overall.

Costa Rica played more composed throughout the game and had much better ball possession game.

JA played a better 2nd half. The Jamaican team was mainly counter attacking to have effective moves forward. But they were not able to effectively play any kind of possession ball game throughtout.

Man of the match for me was the goalkeeper D. Miller. He was very composed and assured in his handling of the ball and the defense. One good thing about the team play was not giving the Costa Rican any time on the ball. Team play in the midfield always pressuring the ball was very good. I think we have a good defensive midfield play overall. The defense was a bit loose especially with marking. We need to know how to keep the ball late in the game and not give over possession so easily.

Other standouts were R. Johnson, R. Edwards and D. Richards.

Respect.
          Mac

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
            Just saw the last 7 minutes of the half... can't even get a sniff of the ball and pure long passes that not clicking... oh well...
            It was not a well played game!
            ...but we won!

...and performed in a manner that will ensure most of our friendly games will have a stadium that is less than full! ...the players and the TEAM just not up to acceptable standard!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              It was not a well played game!
              ...but we won!

...and performed in a manner that will ensure most of our friendly games will have a stadium that is less than full! ...the players and the TEAM just not up to acceptable standard!
              Could it be blamed on the coaching?

I know you will say no as Tappa is your boy and can do no wrong. But seriously, do you think a better coach would have had the team playing better and to their strengths?
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post

I know you will say no as Tappa is your boy and can do no wrong. But seriously, do you think a better coach would have had the team playing better and to their strengths?

tappa must not be blame .
                Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
                United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
                happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
                Probably forthcoming...

Comment

There isnt much tappa or any other international coach can do with there respective teams, as coaches dont have much time to implement there brand of football on the players. What we need is more players, playing at the higher level been exposed to quality coaching, faciltiy and league

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post

I have said here many times that the coaching per se is not our problem. None of the coaches will be blamed by me. Some will be lauded.

...and as you try to touch my corn I shall reply, Tappa's record as Jamaica coach in winning percentage is 2nd to none.

..but back to our problem. I have pointed out that most of our 'big players' play poor football abroad...most in lower divisions. ...and those in the top divisions have difficulty holding down their places.

The only two players we have had since 1998 who regulalry played top class football are Bibi and Willi Boo. I think that tells a story.

Our coaches at the junior levels and up to our NPL create the problems. Just look at the results when we play in the CONCACAF club championships. Well it is the same lack of shape = lack on technical aspects of the game our players put on display when playing for us.

We continue to give the ball away with alarming frequency in matches.
                    We have great difficulty scoring goals.

Giving the ball away! - This game is all about use of the ball.
                    %age of game you had it. ...and when you had it what you did with it.

When you do not have it, how sensibly you worked to get it back...and failing that getting it back, how well you worked to prevent the opponent using it to score goals!

So we must control the ball - have it in our possession for the majority of the game...huge majority of the game...
                    ...and we must deny the opposition scoring chances.

Unfortunately on both of those we are doing a poor job!

Back to your question: How much blame can you put on a national coach when the material to build TEAM is poor. You cannot take a player who "loses the ball" 2 out of 3 times he receives it into a Cesc Fabregas. You cannot take defenders who run under the ball or who are afraid to head the ball in players who aid your team in keeping possession. You cannot turn slaow ruinners into hares.

Give the national coaches good material and then we can raise hell if there is no good TEAM!
                    Last edited by Karl; September 5, 2010, 11:05 PM.
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

So back to answering my question. I take it you say the coach should not or cannot be blamed? Thanks for the exposition, but I was looking for a simple yes or no answer.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

be careful saw Canada had a whole heap of meaning less possession agains peru and loose 2 love. its what you do with the possession.

Comment

i watched the game and i do not share the pessimism (what's up karl?). the defence was solid, defensively the midfield was not bad BUT we lack a serious creative midfielder, someone to hold the ball and create passing lanes and capable of making that killer pass.

crosses are poor but our forwards need to to GET INTO the box.

slowly () we are learning to play with speed and are utilising the speed of our players.

cannot say anythng about iller because he did not have much to do.

on a last note demar held on to the ball too long too many times.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                          X