X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The JFF's decision lacks logic

The JFF's decision lacks logic
    Saturday, August 07, 2010

WE were stunned by the apparent mixed signals which emanated from the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) in midweek resulting from an incident involving one of its functionaries, former Reggae Boyz captain and current national goalkeeper coach Mr Warren Barrett.

For those who might have missed it, there was an ugly brawl involving Mr Barrett and match referee Mr Donat McKenley during the second half of the Sunday, July 25 Western Masters League semi-final game between Mr Barrett's Violet Tourers team and the Hanover Masters team at Jarrett Park in Montego Bay.

The allegations were that Mr Barrett physically and verbally abused Mr McKenley, which resulted in both men suffering injuries, forcing the premature abortion of the game. Two other games carded were cancelled, including a practice game by the national senior team and a St James Invitational outfit.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/edito...-logic_7861329

BLACK LIVES MATTER

What JFF decision? ASny body thjnks this was a decision gtaken by the JFF is badly misguided, this has Burrell written all over it but there will be fall outs as well, mark my word.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Go hike your @$$ into tha sea! If I laff I dead to rahtid.
      "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

tell me more, Sickko!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

How is the sea?
          "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Ahm...wet would be a fair guess, because I am not actually in it at this point!

What are your views on the Barrett thing?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Turmoil in St James FA

Published: Sunday | August 8, 2010 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

St James FA president George Evans - File

Adrian Frater, News Editor
              Western Bureau:
              Following in the wake of two recent incidents in which the directive of the board was ignored, casting an eerie shadow over the stewardship of President George Evans, the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]St [COLOR=blue ! important]James[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Football Association is said to be in turmoil with calls for the errant members to be booted out of the organisation.
              "The board has been severely compromised by issues surrounding the recent damage to the Urban Development Corporation (UDC) playing field and directive sent to the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR] Football Federation (JFF) in regard to the recent suspension of Warren Barrett," a board member told The Sunday Gleaner on Friday. "Based on the nature of the breaches, many of us, including the president, believed the authority of the board is being usurped."
              The UDC playing field, which was used as a car park, against the advice of President Evans, during the recent rain-drenched Reggae Sumfest, was left with a mountain of damage, which sparked public outcry.
              Instructions ignored
              "It was leased with strict instructions that it should not be used if it rained," Evans told The Sunday Gleaner in the aftermath of the use of the field. "It rained periodically throughout the festival but my instructions were ignored, hence the damage."
              The damage to the UDC field, which was upgraded at a cost of $2.3 million in 2006, so infuriated former JFF Western Confederation chairman Bryan Miller, who was once a vice-president of the St James board, that he has issued a public call for the resignation of the entire board.
              With the UDC situation still fluid and contentious, the board was again rocked by further controversy when news surfaced that it did not authorise a recommendation sent on its behalf to the JFF, recommending that former national captain Warren Barrett, who the FA slapped with a five-year ban and a $25,000-fine, be reinstated as national goalkeeper [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]coach[/COLOR][/COLOR]
              A fully authorised release outlining the sanctions against Barrett was sent to the media two hours after the FA's decision was made. However, another release from the board, which was reportedly unauthorised, was sent to the JFF requesting that Barrett be reinstated to his national duties. The recommendation was accepted by the JFF.
              "The JFF is satisfied that the action taken is far-reaching enough in that he (Barrett) has been fined, plus, he has been suspended from the (Masters) League for a period of time," stated a release from JFF boss Captain Horace Burrell. "This will not affect his national duties, as this is an entirely different competition."
              However, with the decision triggering off a firestorm of controversy with several pundits declaring the decision hypocritical, immoral and a bad example, several members of the St James board, including President Evans, have distanced themselves from the recommendation, saying they know nothing about it.
              "It is clear that it was sent by a board member, but the board gave no such directive and we have the minutes to prove it," said Evans. "I was very surprised when I heard about it and I feel badly compromised by the whole thing."
              Stung by the two breaches that have brought his leadership into disrepute, Evans has intimated that his stay at the helm of the board could become history shortly.
              Deeply hurt
              "I am deeply hurt by these two issues and it will be difficult for me to continue as president under such circumstances," Evans told The Sunday Gleaner on Friday. "I will be off the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]island[/COLOR][/COLOR] on family business for a while and during that time I will definitely make a decision about my future as president."
              However, The Sunday Gleaner has learnt that the vast majority of the board members want Evans to remain at the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]helm[/COLOR][/COLOR] and the errant members booted off the board.
              "The president is highly respected both inside and outside of football circles and, in addition, he is doing a fantastic job," a board member told The Sunday Gleaner yesterday. "Instead of stepping away, he needs to demand the resignation of those persons who are undermining his authority."

Share |
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
              X