Damion Stewart makes shock Robins move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damion Stewart makes shock Robins move

QPR defender Damion Stewart has completed a shock move to Bristol City.
    The Jamaican international told your favourite local paper last week that he was keen to earn a new deal in west London.
    But Rangers boss Neil Warnock told the 2009 player of the year that he was surplus to requirements at Loftus Road.
    He made 168 appearances for QPR, scoring 13 goals, before penning a three-year deal with the Robins this afternoon.

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/lon...2029-26965611/
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Damion Excited By Challenge

DAMION EXCITED BY CHALLENGE

Posted on: Mon 02 Aug 2010
    New signing Damion Stewart says he is "really excited" about the challenge ahead of him at Ashton Gate.
    The six-foot, three-inch defender signed a three-year deal with City today after arriving from Queens Park Rangers for an undisclosed fee.
    PLAYER: Damion Stewart video exclusive

The Jamaican international - who describes himself as "an old-fashioned type of defender" - is now fully recovered from a horrendous fractured skull injury which kept him out of most of the 2009/10 season.
    And the 29-year-old is keen to help fulfil manager Steve Coppell's ambitions of promotion.
    He told Player in his first City interview: "I'm really excited about the new challenge. I've been in London with QPR for the past four years but I'm looking for a new start and new challenge, and I feel Bristol is somewhere I can really focus on my football.
    "It's a very ambitious club so hopefully I can come in, show what I can do and repay the gaffer's faith in me.
    "My mate [and fellow Jamaican international] Jamal Campbell-Ryce is here and says it's a good place.
    "City have been there or thereabouts in recent seasons so hopefully we can go one better this year.
    "It's a very ambitious club so hopefully I can come in, show what I can do and repay the gaffer's faith in me."
    Damion Stewart

"Steve Coppell says he has ambitions to go up and is trying to build a team that can do that."
    Damion was voted QPR's player of the year in 2008/09, and skippered Rangers during his four-year spell.
    Many City fans may recall his last-minute injury-time goal which denied City victory on their first game back in the Championship in August 2008 - which Damion remembers well.
    "Yes, it was a last-minute goal in a 2-2 draw - hopefully the fans have forgiven for me for that now!" he quipped.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

2009 player of the year is suddenly a surplus? Interesting.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Gleaner has a different spin - Lucrative three-year contract

Lucrative three-year contract for Stewart

Published: Monday | August 2, 2010

Stewart(L)

Ryon Jones, Gleaner Writer
        Jamaica international Damion 'Stew peas' Stewart has signed a lucrative three-year deal with Football League Championship outfit Bristol City.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports7.html
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Romel not ramping with the PR.

Comment

A better deal!

A better deal!
            Stewart explains switch from QPR to Bristol City in English Championships
            By Howard Walker Observer staff reporter walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com
            Tuesday, August 03, 2010

The inability to agree to terms of a contract extension culminated with Reggae Boy Damion 'Stew Peas' Stewart leaving Queens Park Rangers (QPR) for fellow Championship outfit Bristol City for an undisclosed fee.
            Stewart, who turns 30 on August 18, told the Observer yesterday that Bristol City came knocking with a three-year deal after he couldn't agree personal terms with QPR.

STEWART... QPR gave me a chance to talk to Bristol and they were more willing to give me what I really wanted

STEWART... QPR gave me a chance to talk to Bristol and they were more willing to give me what I really wanted

1/1

"It's not like one asked for a transfer, but I was in the last year of my contract with QPR and we were in negotiations... we weren't agreeing terms at the time then Bristol came in with a bid," Stewart explained.
            "They (QPR) gave me a chance to go and talk to them, so I spoke to Bristol and they were more willing to give me what I really wanted," he noted.

"The deal was done by a little agent by the name of Romel Wallen... he is our home grown Jamaican agent in England and I just wanted to big him up," praised Stewart.

According to Stewart, he played alongside Wallen for Jamaica at the Under-17 level and wanted to pay his respect to the Wolmer's Boys' past student, who is now a player's agent in England.

Stewart, who played more than 150 times for QPR since 2006 and earned their Player-of-the-Year honours in 2008/09, said the QPR fans have no animosity towards him leaving because they understood his move.

"The fans on Facebook sent me messages saying they didn't want to see me go and wished me all the best. They are really hurt, but at the same time they knew what's going on and this is really an opportunity to push my career forward," Stewart pointed out.

The former Harbour View stopper said he felt welcome at his new club and has settled in well among his new teammates.

"It is alright so far because when you move from one team to another they always try to welcome you and try to make you comfortable."

Stewart, who is entering his sixth year in English football since joining Bradford city in 2005, thinks he has a live shot at qualifying for the premier league under new coach Steve Coppell, who also signed England first choice goalkeeper David James.

Said Stewart: "When I spoke to the gaffer (Coppell) it was like listen, 'we are not really strong at the moment, but we are gonna be strong with some signings'. After we had a sit down talk I liked his plans and he really played a big part in my coming here. A few seasons back he was in the premier league with Reading and he has the know-how to get us out the division."

He continued: "If you look at the Championship, all 24 teams think they have a chance. Look at who got promoted last year, Blackpool! This is a very unpredictable league, so whoever put a good run together will be up there, so hopefully we can start the championship on the right note and keep ourselves at the top part of the table."

Stewart, who will link up with fellow Reggae Boy Jamal Campbell-Ryce, passed his medical last Thursday and played a friendly on Saturday.
            In April, Stewart suffered a terrible head injury, but luckily he recovered without the need for surgery and is now fully fit and raring to go.

"That's a thing of the past and in my life I live by the saying... my grandfather always says, forward ever and backward never, so I don't really think about that. I give God thanks that I survived that horrific injury without even doing a surgery. I am back to 100 per cent and ready to go," he emphasised.

But the hard-tackling defender will not be taking anything for granted and will be putting in his hard work to ensure a starting spot.

"Well, he bought me and when a coach comes and gets you, he really wants you to play and he knows what I am about. I think I will get the chance to start, but it is really up to me to keep my position. If I am not performing up to scratch there will be people who want your position, so you have to keep on playing (well)," said Stewart.

The imposing centre half standing at six-feet, three-inches, who was part of the Harbour View team that won the premier league title in 2000 and the Caribbean Football Union crown in 2004, thinks he is a much better player since moving to England in 2005.

"In my eyes, yes I have grown. I used to be erratic, I am not erratic now. I play with more of my brain than my aggression now. I am still aggressive, that will never go, but I think of the game now," he noted.

Stewart played for Jamaica at all levels and made his senior international debut for Jamaica in 1999 against Ghana. He has so far played approximately 55 games and scored three goals.

His most notable performance at club level came when he scored the only goal as QPR knocked premier league outfit Aston Villa out of the 2008/09 Carling Cup with a 1-0 victory at Villa Park.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...stol-City-in-E
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
            X