Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica Jamaica

Gillings not playing a numbers game <DIV class=KonaBody yJQdZ="true">

By Nodley Wright, <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Freelance </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Writer</SPAN>

Wadadah's National Premier League forward Markeino Gillings wearing No. 2. - contributed

In a time when some people are refusing to even say the number two, choosing instead to say few or second, it takes a brave person to don that number on the football field and to do so with pride.

One such person is Wadadah forward Markeino Gillings who has sported it at least twice so far this season coming on as a second-half substitute for his team.

On the second occasion it was against Reno in early December in a <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">match</SPAN> played at Jarrett Park.

"I am not looking at a number as any big deal. A number is just a number and I think I could have stuck out for my right number (nine) but I did not want to spoil anything for the team. I was just trying to blend in," Gillings explained at the end of the drawn game.

Taboo

In <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Jamaica's</SPAN> the number two is taboo in this homophobic society where people have convinced themselves that the number represents homosexuality with even a <A class=kLink oncontextmenu="return false;" id=KonaLink3 &#111;nmouseover=adlinkMouseOver(event,this,3); style="POSITION: static; TEXT-DECORATION: underline! important" &#111;nclick=adlinkMouseClick(event,this,3); &#111;nmouseout=adlinkMouseOut(event,this,3); href="http://www.jamaica-star.com/thestar/20070102/sports/sports1.html#" target=_top><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; PO
    SA 2010: Reggae Boyz coming home!

RE: Jamaica Jamaica

Oh, my beautiful, ignorant people!

sigh

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (1/2/2007)Oh, my beautiful, ignorant people!

sigh
      I would not say ignorant. It is more like childish.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

This is comical.. imagine goint to ncaa d1 college and tell the manager,, cant wear dem number deh.. why... a ****man thing that!!

Comment

2 = SHORTY MALCOLM !

I am surprised that jersey number 2 was not retired in honor of Shorty Malcolm, or his jersey number 2 was not mentioned in the article.

I can understand some people not wanting to wear jersey number 13 (tridiskophobia or something like that.

Comment

FYI - US College and High School Basketball:

All jerseysMUST have numbers with digits 0,1,2,3,4, and 5. Numbers with digits 6,7,8 and 9 are prohibited.

Comment

Number 2 means taking a poop.

Johnny Carson told a joke that when California had a drought, the residents could only flush after "number two". They could not flush after "number one" (pee)

When the drought subsided, Carson said, "Now,the residents canfush after number one and number two, but the homosexuals are angry because they can't flush after number three."

Comment

a suh you know Nodley have nothing to write about

waste of space
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

FIFA does not allow the retiring of numbers. When you go to the world cup finals, numbers have to befrom 1 to 22. If Jamaica decided to retire the #2 and they made it to the World Cup finals, then they would have to bring it out of retirement. At CONCACAF level numbers could be retired however.
                  "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
                  X