RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

England learns from Ghana with a Jamaican leading ...YOUTHS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England learns from Ghana with a Jamaican leading ...YOUTHS!

Noel Blake

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Noel Blake Personal information
    Full name: Noel Blake
    Date of birth: 12 January 1962 (age 48)
    Place of birth: Kingston, Jamaica
    Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
    Playing position: Defender

Club information
    Current club - England Under 19
    Senior career*Years: TeamApps†(Gls)†
    1978–1979Sutton Coldfield Town
    1979–1982Aston Villa4(0)
    1982→ Shrewsbury Town (loan)6(0)
    1982–1984Birmingham City 76(5)
    1984–1988Portsmouth 144(10)
    1988–1990Leeds United 51(4)
    1990–1992Stoke City 75(3)
    1992→ Bradford City (loan)6(0)
    1992–1993 Bradford City39(3)
    1993–1995Dundee54(2)
    1995–2001Exeter City147(10)
    Total602(37)

Teams managed
    2000–2001Exeter City
    2003–2006Stoke City Academy
    2008–England U19

* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
    † Appearances (Goals).

Noel Blake (born 12 January 1962 in Kingston, Jamaica) is a retired footballer. He played in the Football League for Aston Villa, Shrewsbury Town, Birmingham City,Portsmouth, Leeds United, Stoke City, Bradford City and Exeter City, and in theScottish Football League for Dundee.[1]
    He was a member of two teams who won promotion to the old First Division – Portsmouth in 1987 and Leeds United in 1990.

He became Exeter's player-manager in 2000, but left in 2001.[1] He was the successful manager of the youth team at Stoke City.

A qualified coach, holder of the UEFA Pro Licence,[2] Blake was appointed in February 2007 as one of the Football Association's National Coaches to work with players in England's youth teams and to assist with coach education.[3]

[edit]References

Good news for England future

Post categories: Football
    Matt Slater | 18:06 UK time, Monday, 5 July 2010

An embarrassing climbdown? A victory for common sense? Or a calendar mix-up now resolved?

Whatever. The news that England will be sending a strong squad to the Under-19 European Championship in France is undeniably a good thing. It is also an indication that maybe, just maybe, we might have learned something from events in South Africa.

Confirmation of this encouraging development will come later this week when England U19 coach Noel Blake announces a squad that should be close to full strength.

The former Exeter City manager is losing his three best players (Blackburn's Phil Jones, Everton's Jack Rodwell and Jack Wilshere of Arsenal) to Stuart Pearce's U21s but he will not be too despondent, given the threat of widespread unavailability from his Premier League contingent.

That threat vanished, however, as the clubs watched the fallout from England's World Cup misadventures and decided perhaps now was not the best time to be on the wrong side of a club v country row. So what was brewing up to be a PR storm for the perfidious plutocrats of the Premier League has been transformed into a textbook example of good international relations.
    England U19 coach Noel Blake will travel to Normandy with high hopes of success

Some credit here should go to Harry Redknapp. With up to six of his young charges in line for a call-up, Spurs had by far the most to lose in terms of interruption to their pre-season plans, hence their reported reluctance to release players.

Redknapp was in South Africa on BBC duty, so he probably did not need a call last week from Sir Trevor Brooking, the Football Association's director of football development, to persuade him of the importance of age-group competition but he got one anyway and it certainly didn't hurt.

Redknapp got straight on to Spurs chairman Daniel Levy and suddenly the likes of John Bostock and Dean Parrett were free for the rest of July and waiting for Blake's nod.

With the Spurs six back in play (four are likely to make the squad), it seems other clubs quickly made their good young 'uns available too - Aston Villa's Nathan Delfouneso, Manchester United's Reece (brother of Wes) Brown and Chelsea midfielder Jacob Mellisshould all be on duty when England line up to meet Austria in their opener in Flers on 18 July.

This is a far cry from last summer when Spurs blocked Danny Rose's participation and Crystal Palace would not let Victor Moses go. This followed the high-profile withdrawal ofDavid Bentley from the U21s a year before, and the unfortunate harrumphing that surrounded Theo Walcott's decision to make himself available for U21 and senior action.

Good. Because England needs to start taking age-group football much more seriously.

Half of the German team we are currently raving about at the World Cup cut their tournament teeth whilst winning the U17, U19 and U21 titles in Europe, and Spain's transformation from dysfunctional under-achievers to potential world-beaters can be traced back to a glittering recent record in these competitions.

England's record, on the other hand, has been more in keeping with our 44-year hurt at senior level, although there are signs of progress of late.
    Last year's U19 vintage lost in the European final to Ukraine, whilst the U21s ran into that fine German group in their final and also lost (we now know that a 4-0 defeat at the hands of Thomas Muller and Mesut Ozil is nothing to be ashamed of). It was the second year in succession the U21s had finished runners-up in that competition.

England beat Spain to win the European U17 title in May

These near-misses were finally converted to victory this May when John Peacock's U17 team beat Spain 2-1 to end a 17-year wait for English success at any level. It was a triumph that probably didn't get the credit it deserved - the country can only deal with one golden generation at a time - as Peacock's players won all 11 of their games going back to qualification, scoring 32 and conceding only six.

Unfortunately, we are probably going to hear more about the likes of Ipswich striker Conor Wickham and Chelsea defender Nathanial Chalobah than their clubs and the FA would like over the next year or two, but expectation is part and parcel of being an England player. What's different about this lot is their all-round ability.

"We've had some good groups before," Brooking told me. "But this is the first team we have had when all 10 outfield players could play proper possession football.

"Too often in the past the good teams have been able to identify the weak links in our team, the players who will play the long ball or just give it away under pressure. But this group has quality and depth."

Listening to the former West Ham maestro talk like this about young players is one of the most frustrating aspects of the current debate about England's malaise. We do have decent players and we have got administrators who recognise what is needed to help them flourish: getting them together is the problem.

Brooking, who has been the FA's development chief for seven years, published his most recent plan, the Future Game document, just before the World Cup. His challenge will be to make sure this does more than gather dust in academies and centres of excellence up and down the land.

In it he outlines his belief that English football must close the coaching gap with its main rivals, invest far more in youth development and develop a coherent style of play throughout the academy system. He also raises the pertinent question of where the U17 stars will get their first-team experience.

These issues, and many more, have to be part of the post-World Cup debate.

In the meantime, I intend to enjoy England's attempt to claim a first European U19 title since 1993. It would be a small step towards our stated goal of World Cup glory but a step forward nonetheless. And Germany didn't qualify.

As well as my blogs, you can follow me when I'm out and about at http://twitter.com/bbc_matt

Last edited by Karl; July 18, 2010, 08:54 AM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

He would possibly be an ideal candidate for Jamaica's TD.....developing a strong youth system and working with/grooming promising coaches (like Whitmore, Davis, etc.)

Comment

Definetly , but yuh know how we stay ...if the english FA rate im , we nuh want im ...lol.

But seriously the author of the article references to spain and germany as examples to develop , sarcastically I captioned Ghana, we must take note that of all the african nations in the WC france included(sarcasm).Ghana was the only one that had a heavy dependence on youth.

Jamaica take note.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Jamaica failed to take FULL advantage of their relationship with Brazil, leading up to the '98 WC, as the administration didn't have coaches and administrators go to Brazil for extensive training and certification. This was evident as the "program" went into free-fall after Simoes and his staff departed in '99.
        Based on the information you posted, it seems that Blake could help develop a strong and lasting ReggaeBoyz program (GOOD youth system and WELL trained and certified coaches).

Comment

Its a holistic approach that will help us , The Blakes , Earls, Barnes , Tappa, Burells , Boxhills , PNP &JLP coming together and investing in a program, our problem is lack of unity, the vision is there.

Comment

I wish him sucess and I will be keping an eye on dis bredda.The JFF should too.

Comment

What is the ROI on a proper program ?

I assume it will take a good amount of cash to care..

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                Definetly , but yuh know how we stay ...if the english FA rate im , we nuh want im ...lol.

But seriously the author of the article references to spain and germany as examples to develop , sarcastically I captioned Ghana, we must take note that of all the african nations in the WC france included(sarcasm).Ghana was the only one that had a heavy dependence on youth.

Jamaica take note.
                Im sorry but I don't buy into the Ghanian team's "youth". lol Africans are notorious for falsifying their indentification documents and claiming they are younger than they are. The Ghanian team looked "mature" lol. That striker Gyan is suppose to be 21 but looks about 41 lol. Not buying it.

Comment

gyan is not supposed to be 21....he's supposed to be 25 he was in the last world cup too.

anyway..i hear that he is freddy adu's grandson.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by MissLondon View Post
                    Im sorry but I don't buy into the Ghanian team's "youth". lol Africans are notorious for falsifying their indentification documents and claiming they are younger than they are. The Ghanian team looked "mature" lol. That striker Gyan is suppose to be 21 but looks about 41 lol. Not buying it.

true the africans do it all the time , they sent men to youth tournaments
                    from u17 - u23 .
                    Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
                    United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
                    happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
                    Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                      gyan is not supposed to be 21....he's supposed to be 25 he was in the last world cup too.

anyway..i hear that he is freddy adu's grandson.
                      Yes your right, he is suppose to be 24 going on 25. I must of been thinking of another "mature" looking player on the Ghanian team who they claimed was 21! lol. However, he doesn't look like a 24/25 year old either (although there really isn't much of a difference especially when you are black!).

Comment

uh oh...she said it! they all look alike right misslondon?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                          uh oh...she said it! they all look alike right misslondon?
                          Huh? Black people generally age better and don't show signs of ageing as young (in comparison to white people). A black 25 year old generally looks no different to a black 21 year old. My point is whether Gyan is suppose to be 21 or 25, he looks much older than both ages lol. He doesn't look like he's in his 20s imo. Now I could be completely wrong, but at some schools in London you have African children of 12 and teenage years claiming they are 8 .

Comment

my bad...i thought you would recognise a good joke when you saw one...I WAS KIDDING .....

Comment

Working...
                            X