Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netherlands-Spain

Netherlands-Spain preview

The 2010 FIFA World Cup™ Final promises to be quite an occasion, with the Netherlands pitting their wits against reigning European champions Spain. Both sides have produced some good football during their campaigns and have been rewarded with the chance to add their nation's names to the select list of former winners: Uruguay, Italy, Germany, Brazil, England, Argentina and France.

The match

Netherlands-Spain, Final, Soccer City, Sunday 11 July, 20.30 (local time)
    As a glance at the head-to-head record between the two nations shows, tipping a winner is no easy task. Both sides have won four of their nine meetings, with the other game ending in a draw. The Oranje have been here before, reaching the Finals at Germany 1974, with Johan Cruyff, and Argentina 1978, without him, and losing to the hosts on both occasions. For Spain, however, this is new territory, although their confidence at rising to the occasion will be high after ending a 44-year trophy drought at UEFA EURO 2008.

The Netherlands' record at South Africa 2010 could hardly be more impressive: six wins in six games with 12 goals scored and five conceded. For their part Vicente del Bosque's men have strung together five wins in a row after kicking off with a surprise defeat. But while the Spaniards have found goals hard to come by, scoring just seven in total, they have been far more miserly in defence, letting in just two so far. The winners will also end an old hoodoo, with no European side having ever won the biggest prize in world football outside the old continent.

Players to watch

Wesley Sneijder v David Villa
    The leading goalscorers at South Africa 2010, alongside Diego Forlan, Miroslav Klose and Thomas Muller, this in-form pair are in the frame for both the adidas Golden Boot and the adidas Golden Ball. Their goals have been vital to their sides' respective runs to the Final. Can one of them end the tournament with a winner's medal and two coveted individual awards? All will soon be revealed.

The stat

8 - Sunday's game will be the eighth all-European Final. In 19 FIFA World Cup tournaments, Europe has been represented in 16 Finals, a record that includes an unbroken run of 14 going back to Switzerland 1954. Only two showpiece games have been all-South American, with the remaining nine pitching together sides from the competition's two dominant continents.

What they said

“I don’t see David Villa as Spain’s most dangerous player. The ones you really have to watch are Xavi [Hernandez] and [Andres] Iniesta. They’re the players who set the tempo and make sure the ball gets to Villa. We have to stop them from playing and getting free. We need to mark them very tightly because if we give them the slightest space we’ll have problems,” Arjen Robben, Netherlands forward.

“I don’t think they’ll sit back and defend. They’ve got some quick players who are in terrific form right now. They’ll do what we do and stick to their style. I know Robben. He’s quick powerful and strong, and his shooting from outside the area is a concern for me. What we need to do is cut him off, although there’s more to the Netherlands than just Robben. They are powerful in defence and midfield, and [Wesley] Sneijder and [Dirk] Kuyt are just as dangerous,” Iker Casillas, Spain goalkeeper and captain.

Voice of the fans“The key battle will be between the Dutch defence and the Spanish midfield. La Furia Roja’s strength lies in their impeccable passing game, one that frustrates opponents. If [Mark] van Bommel and [Nigel] de Jong can interrupt Spain’s flow, the Netherlands will have a good chance of lifting the Trophy for the first time in their history,” FIFA.com user litowadowice (Singapore).

Have your say
    Will it be the Dutch or the Spanish who add their name to the prestigious list of FIFA World Cup winners?

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches...9/preview.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

As mi seh, based on the showing of the teams thus far - SPAIN!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Kempes: Spain have the edge

Kempes: Spain have the edge

(FIFA.com) Saturday 10 July 2010
      Getty Images

If there is one man who will always be associated with Dutch heartbreak in the Final of the FIFA World Cup™, it is former Argentina forward Mario Kempes. Having reached the title decider for the second successive final tournament, the Netherlands were again denied the Trophy thanks largely to El Matador, whose double strike at Buenos Aires’ Estadio Monumental on 25 June 1978 handed La Albiceleste a 3-1 success and earned him the top scorers’ award in the process.

The former Valencia goal-getter generously took time out from preparing to commentate for ESPN radio on the Final of South Africa 2010, which pits the Oranje against European champions Spain, to give an exclusive interview to FIFA.com.

FIFA.com: Mario, we’re just hours away from the Final between the Netherlands and Spain. Who do you think is in better form?

Mario Kempes: They’re both in very good form, though Spain are playing slightly better. Their players have excellent technique and defend well by keeping hold of the ball. They’re a great team. That said, we mustn’t forget that this is a final and there’s an added factor involved: adrenaline. With that in mind, it doesn’t really matter who's been doing better up to now. Spain have the slight edge, but it’ll all go down to what happens on the pitch.

What type of game do you think we’ll see?

I’m expecting the Final to be quite open, because Spain don’t play defensively or man-to-man mark. The Netherlands also play good football and will set out their stall to attack. Let’s hope there are plenty of goals.

The last time the Oranje reached the Final in 1978 you scored twice in a 3-1 Argentina win. What do you remember from that game?

Lots of things! The Dutch had us pinned back in our own half for the first 15 minutes. We couldn’t get a foothold in the game, they were passing the ball around well and were dragging us all over the place. But as the minutes went by we settled down and started to get our house in order.

I’m expecting the Final to be quite open
      Mario Kempes, Argentina legend.

How does that Dutch team compare with the current side?

They’re nothing like each other. The current side relies more on individual brilliance than playing as a team. They’ve got very good players like [Arjen] Robben and [Dirk] Kuyt up front, [Wesley] Sneijder in a creative role and [Mark] van Bommel and [Nigel] de Jong in the centre of the park, cutting out everything that comes their way. Not for nothing are they on a 25-game unbeaten run. They’ve gone about things the right way and proved they’re a selfless team with a strong character.

Why do think the Netherlands have never lifted the Trophy, despite the great players and teams they’ve had over the years?

Often the slice of luck you need (to win titles) doesn’t come your way. In the 1974 Final they took the lead within five minutes and ended up losing the match. I think the goal hurt them more than it did the Germans! They had another opportunity in Argentina and couldn't take it. In fact, it was us who got a bit lucky when their shot hit the post right at the end of normal time (with the score at 1-1). But this team’s different, they have a different mental approach. That may serve them well but, on paper at least, Spain are stronger.

You know Spanish football very well. Do you think they can keep playing their distinctive style of football even in a decisive game like this?

Yes, of course. Even when they played badly against Switzerland all they were lacking was a goal. Though it’s true that only [David] Villa is having a truly excellent tournament, bringing Pedro into the side has changed the look of the team and given it more speed and freshness. Pedro is hard to contain and creates danger, so he’ll be important to them. What matters is that Spain will never sacrifice the style of play they’ve had for over two years now.

Villa and Sneijder are both battling it out for the adidas Golden Boot. Who do you think has the best chance of winning that award?

I think whoever plays for the team that wins the Final will take it, as you’d expect. They’re two great players though they play in different roles. Sneijder is more about making runs from midfield into scoring positions and Villa has great movement and can play across the front line. Spain are dependent on him, while the Netherlands have other players who can chip in with goals. Nor can we rule out [Diego] Forlan or [Miroslav] Klose (in the race for the Golden Boot).

Is that award the ultimate accolade for a striker?

Only winning the world title is better. At an individual level, it’s a lovely award. And even more so the way I won it, which happened almost by accident (laughs). I was way behind and ended up winning it thanks to my goals in the latter stages.

And finally, can we have your prediction for the Final?

Of course, I think Spain will win 3-1.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ne...pain+have+edge

Comment

I get nervous when all the "experts" pick a winner...it's as if they put a curse on that country... but I have to go with the flow and say Viva Espanya !!!
        Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          Lots of things! The Dutch had us pinned back in our own half for the first 15 minutes. We couldn’t get a foothold in the game, they were passing the ball around well and were dragging us all over the place. But as the minutes went by we settled down and started to get our house in order.
          Maybe midfielder Rene Houseman had something to do with that?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

They’ve gone about things the right way and proved they’re a selfless team with a strong character.
            Selfless?
            Ooooh, excepting Arjen Robben. ...and he gets many, many touches - sooooo?????

The all player selfless ( errrrr??? errrr??? TEAM! ) Spain will benefit tremendously!

Comment

Netherlands will be crowned world champions today.

Comment

Good going!
                Spain it is!

Comment

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

bwoy Gamma, if me ever inna chubble wid the law a you me waan fi represent me. Damn, yuh not only build the man coffin , but yuh dig the hole and cover it back to. yuh relentless sah. I wonder if Warlord have any predictions for the new season.
                    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                      bwoy Gamma, if me ever inna chubble wid the law a you me waan fi represent me. Damn, yuh not only build the man coffin , but yuh dig the hole and cover it back to. yuh relentless sah. I wonder if Warlord have any predictions for the new season.
                      lawyer build coffin now? sound like a funeral hime director and grave digger to me!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

recession....haffi eat a food any we can!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                        X