X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benitez blasts Bolton

Benitez blasts Bolton

By Peter ORourke - Created on 1 Jan 2007

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has launched a scathing attack on Bolton's tactics ahead of their New Year's Day clash.

The Spaniard has been locked in war of words with his Bolton counterpart Sam Allardyce over their physical approach.

Benitez was unhappy with some of Bolton's play in their 2-0 win at The Reebok Stadium in September.

Graham Poll is the man in the middle for the game at Anfield and Benitez has called on him to be strong in his performance.

"Bolton have their style, they have played it for years and they know what they are doing," said Benitez.

"They could not play this way in Spain. Every free-kick, every corner, every throw-in would be a foul. But in England referees allow it and they take advantage of all these things.

"So we need a strong official to be aware of all the blocks they make and the players who are diving.

"It happens at all the set-pieces. Pepe Reina is really good in the air but you can always see two or three players around the keeper trying to block him.

"It's up to the referee to be aware of this and say it's a foul because the rules are there for everybody and maybe then it would be easier to play football.

"It is up to my players to show character. We have players who can deal with it but a lot depends on the experience of the referee.

"Graham Poll is a very experienced referee and, for me, he is OK. But he must be aware of these things."

Benitez also accused former Liverpool star El Hadji Diouf of being a diver as he prepares to return to Anfield.

"Diouf and Anelka are good players but one of them is really proud of diving and I don't like this," added Benitez.

"If we are killing players who dive I cannot support it when someone comes out and says he is proud to dive because it is good for him and for his team.

"Once again it all depends on the referee to be aware of this."

In-form Bolton striker Nicolas Anelka is looking forward to going back to Liverpool and insists he would have joined the club only for Gerard Houllier.

"The Kop applaud me and know I wanted to stay," said Anelka. "I would no doubt be at Liverpool now if Gerard Houllier had taken up the option to buy me.

"Everything about them fascinates me - the team, the very British stadium, the fans, the city, the red of their shirts.

"And I was flattered by what Stevie Gerrard said about me in his book. He is a player who can do everything on the field.

"Going back to Anfield always gives me a thrill and I do have success on the pitch.

"I have scored three times there with Manchester City."
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi
Working...
X