Soccer will never be a dominant sport in America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you sah.

"Registered players" to rhatid. That alone says it all. I wonder how many NBA basketball players were "registered players" when they were 10 years old?

It is a middle class game in the US and nowhere else in the world is it a middle class game. Nothing is wrong with that in and of itself, but lets call it what it is.

Call me when the US have the most "non-registered players". THEN we will be unto something.
    Last edited by Islandman; June 25, 2010, 03:29 PM.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

And with all of that--the US has been to the last 6 World Cup.

I wonder what would happen if they took the game seriously.

Look at the growth of MLS that is what? 12-13 years old!!

FANTASTIK!!!!!
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
        The US ...and even most of the "registered players" you reference do not have the game in their hearts....it's a mere suburban pastime for most... that's the problem. So their vast numbers of players and manicured facilities don't equate to the quality that it would in a true football loving nation.

If ever I see young people in the US playing the game for the simple joy of it, OUTSIDE ORGANIZED LEAGUES...as they do widely with basketball for example.... then the US will be a force. They almost never do this...even in a soccer (sic) hotbed like Long Island.

Until then the US will merely create the best team BIG money, organization & a vast legion of people can buy...but not good enuff to be among the best....or not even good enuff to create 1 elite player.
        Maybe we (Jamaicans) should implement something similiar to what the Americans have. The fact of the matter is the system that doesn't "equate to the quality that it would in a true football loving nation" has put the USA in how many world cups recently ... bout 5 straight. The same system has put them in the finals of the confed cup, where has our disorganized system gotten us?

When I just came here and see how time is spent to teach the youths the basics of the game then I reflect on how it was growing up I had to wonder how Jamaica could have benefitted differently.

Back to the topic at hand, I have to agree with Sass ...the sport is growing in the USA. Maybe its because of where you, I-Man and miself reside why we not seeing enough games for the joy of it.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Different argument that. Yes there may be a lot we can learn from US soccer.

Love of the game is not one of them.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

but ..but...but Islan'man---Jamaicans prefer cricket ova football e'nuh.
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

you are easily impressed. given the available human and material resources the US is a woeful underperformer in the world's game
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

of course Jamaica needs more structure and resources committed to the game....as Iman said that's a totally different argument.

The US is in a very weak confed and should qualify comfortably for every quad...nothing special there for the world superpower.

I spent many years in Long Island with a son who just entered college which he represents in Div2 ...who started playing the game at 5 years old in LI leagues thru ODP. Have traveled all over the Eastern Seaboard with his various teams from age 10.

I'd say I have a fair idea of the game in the US....and a basis to have an opinion.

No red herrings today please.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

you are easily impressed. given the available human and material resources the US is a woeful underperformer in the world's game
                  Easily impressed ... seeing that they have a system that continuously provide a talent pool that allows them to constantly be playing WC football and be one of .... if not the best in concacaf.

Wait ... now lets see whats happening with our national team ... with our "abundance of talent"?
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

No sah. Don't agree.

When WI was good, they could draw a big crowd and JA in the regional tournaments wasn't too bad..

Club cricket? Nobody but a few rumhead and former players watch dat. School cricket? Very small crowd at most schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                      Easily impressed ... seeing that they have a system that continuously provide a talent pool that allows them to constantly be playing WC football and be one of .... if not the best in concacaf.

Wait ... now lets see whats happening with our national team ... with our "abundance of talent"?
                      it's not easy for me to argue with someone who concentrates on the vacuous ...but

The US has humongous human and material resources...Jamaica you would agree is the opposite.

For you to compare American apples with Jamaican oranges is ludicrous.........
                      But unsurprising

It is your right to be impressed with American footb....sorry soccer...please continue if you like

Comment

it's not easy for me to argue with someone who concentrates on the vacuous ...but

The US has humongous human and material resources...Jamaica you would agree is the opposite.

For you to compare American apples with Jamaican oranges is ludicrous.........
                        But unsurprising

It is your right to be impressed with American footb....sorry soccer...please continue if you like
                        How long are ppl going to be using the excuse of resources? Now that we're dominating T&F mi notice the excuse in that sport has been put on pause.

How many countries have less resouces that the USA yet are world power in football?

Instead of making excuses and feeling sorry for ourselves, how about taking the steps to address it? Not everything will take alot of money .... if any. As a teen my friends and I would have to play from 3-5 because when the 'big man' dem come we had to leave the field. In this country the youngster are given the needed instuctions to help them improve. What I would give to get such teachings when I was that young. Then again ... blind cyaan lead blind.

Comment

That passion you mention for soccer is similar in Jamaica where DCup is very supported but NPL is not and sometimes not even 4000 people you can get to watch a national team game.

There are some die hards but the average persons will only come aboard and support when the team wins. Even now the average Jamaican will tell you that the Jamaica team pop down and nah deal with nothing.

The fact is the sport is growing. Currently I can count 20 fields within a 10 miles radius of my house and more than 80 fields within a 20 mile radius of my house. The reason why the youth soccer is booming the way it is, it not because of the reasons you mention but because it is profitable. MLS has grown quicker than most young leagues and will only grow more. At the same time the women league is also growing and youths have knowledge of the game.

When you have organizations like the cub scouts having Soccer/Scout programs to attract minorities you know there is a reason. One of the major problem with football is the media. 20 years ago there was no source for soccer. Today it is on prime time on ESPN and they are making special prepartion for it and you have at least 2 major stations dedicated to it.

The more MLS become more profitable you will see the support grow. One of the big drawback was the teams need to have their own stadiums to make money as Red Bulls did.

My sister who never played the game in Ja and had no real interest I know called me asking me to give a lesson or two. She has joined a team and she said she didn't know what she was missing. She has now become a fan. There are many like her and nothing get support from a sport like a winning publicized team.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

im wish!
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Lazie;241902]How long are ppl going to be using the excuse of resources? Now that we're dominating T&F mi notice the excuse in that sport has been put on pause.
                              who is using excuses? I merely note the fact that the US underperforms in relation to its status....and comparison with Jamaica is ludicrous.

How many countries have less resouces that the USA yet are world power in football?
                              thanks for proving my point.

Instead of making excuses and feeling sorry for ourselves, how about taking the steps to address it? Not everything will take alot of money .... if any. As a teen my friends and I would have to play from 3-5 because when the 'big man' dem come we had to leave the field. In this country the youngster are given the needed instuctions to help them improve. What I would give to get such teachings when I was that young. Then again ... blind cyaan lead blind.
                              The discussion was about the US..not Jamaica. Jamaica's case as I-man pointed out is a different argument...why you continue with the juxtaposition is a mystery to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X