Soccer will never be a dominant sport in America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soccer will never be a dominant sport in America

(CNN) -- Millions of Americans are currently enthralled with the performance of our USA soccer team in the 2010 FIFA World Cup, as evidenced by the eruption of cheers that went up with when Landon Donovan scored a goal in the final minutes of the match against Algeria.
    His winning goal has been hailed as a watershed moment in American sports history, and "futbol" fans are predicting he will be talked about years from now in the same breath as Hank Aaron, Joe Namath, Bobby Orr and Wilt Chamberlain.
    Sorry folks, it's just not going to happen, -- despite the praying by CNN's United Nations correspondent, Richard Roth, to make it so.
    It's not that I detest soccer/futbol, but the reality is that Americans have not taken to the sport. As a native Houstonian, I sport the gear of the Houston Rockets, Texans, Astros and my Texas A&M Aggies (Houston has the largest concentration of Aggies), but the MLS (Major League Soccer) Houston Dynamo didn't make the cut.
    Every year I hear fans say that "it's just around the corner" or "this is the year" or "the moment has arrived" when soccer is accepted along the lines of football, baseball and basketball. To be honest, even the National Hockey League has suffered immeasurably, and judging by TV ratings, the lack of a major TV deal, and limited stars well-known to non-hockey fans, it's safe to say it is no longer viewed as one of four major team sports.
    There are myriad reasons why soccer hasn't caught on, but no one can say it's because of the a lack of interest among the nation's youth. Millions of kids nationwide play the sport, from inner cities to the suburbs. Yet once they become teenagers, soccer falls by the wayside and the interest shifts to baseball, football and basketball.
    There have been several attempts at launching a major professional sports league, and the latest is the MLS, which has been around since 1993. The league has valiantly tried to reach the big time, but it has struggled, largely catering to its small but loyal audience.
    If you walked into any sports bar in America, and those there had to choose which games to watch, the National Football League, the National Basketball Association, Major League Baseball, the PGA Tour or the National Hockey League, would all likely win out over MLS.
    Although I'm not personally a soccer fan, I've watched a few minutes of the World Cup. But it simply hasn't been a "must see" for me like the Ryder Cup or even the Olympics.
    And to be honest, the Olympics is probably the greatest comparison in terms of measuring the interest of soccer to American fans. Every four years we go nuts over our "amateur" athletic stars. We cheer wildly when the U.S. bobsled team wins gold; love to see our track stars fly around the oval; and are enthralled with gymnastics. But once the Olympic Games have ended, we store our "USA! USA!" chants for four years.
    I consider myself to be a huge track fan, and would love to see it on TV more, but the reality is that in other parts of the world, track stars are treated like Kobe Bryant and LeBron James.
    Yet if Usain Bolt walked through a mall anywhere in America, he might get a few stares, but he wouldn't be bombarded with autograph requests for photos, even though he is the Kobe of the track world right now.
    So soccer/futbol fans worldwide, don't take it as insult that Americans don't worship soccer the way you do. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. That's really just fine. You do you, and we'll do what we do.
    As for the World Cup, I'll be cheering for the Donovan-led U.S. team to do well, while flipping back and forth to the NFL and NBA cable channels, pining for my two favorite sports to return in the fall.
    It's just the American in me.
    The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Roland S. Martin.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

While I agree with him that it will not be a major sport in the US in our lifetime, why is it that we have to go through this discussion every 4 years?

If the US gets more interested in football, great. If not, thats fine too. But just shut the hell up and allow the other 5.6 billion of us in the world to enjoy the beautiful game.

This is exactly why I would hate for the US to win the World Cup. Fortunately thats not going to happen any time soon either.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

what Roland Martin doesn't realise is that he is a dying breed. I was watching sitcom recently and a Dad wanted to watch Football and the son put the channel on soccer and the argument started what is "real football".

The discussion is on right now and the World Cup for America made even people who had no interest had to look. The more people see the game and their kids involved the more they like it. It will not happen overnight but soccer is going to be a major sport. It doesn't have to be as big as baseball or football to be a major sport.

People might not just all over Bolt but the Stadium them cork for now and he is on commercials etc. Everybody know who is Wayne Gretky(sp) and after the World Cup a whole host of people going to know who Landon Donovan is. As Berres would say "Step Aside now" them argument no hold water no more. When ESPN a give so much time and without Ads in the middle of the game, you know you have growing.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

If hosting the World Cup did not do it, nothing will except the slow and gradual process of immigration.

In 1994 American kids loved the game. How old are they now and are they still playing ? No.

I expect it continue to be a second tier sport that gets some attention every 4 years.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

No Iman. There are many fact. More kids are playing soccer at the local level and learning the game. Because of this parents who can't kick a ball are taking interest.

The fact is there is a big grassroot swell going on. There are more soccer field in Georgia than any other sport field. Even when it was hosted the TV coverage was not the same and right in the middle of the game there was nothing but negitive comments.

There is a difference as having an image to support rather than stadium is a big difference. This team will be seen as an herotic team that "bears the American spirit and remember US will be hosting another in the next 12 years.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Ok if you say so.

All I know is I have seen this script before in 1994 when they got lucky and beat Columbia.

I know it is growing, but i don't expect it to be a sport that the average American adult follows throughout the season.

I expect it to be about like T&F. If you call that a major sport in the US then I agree with you.

Comment

The thing is, it is a major sport in terms of youths and parents involved. Maybe even bigger than football at that level. So far it has not translate to the stands but there is a big undercurrent which can make a big shift at anytime. In that sense it is bigger than Track and field.

Comment

i actually agree that soccer will not be a major sport in america... at least anytime soon... it will continue to grow and will be a niche sport, just not a major sport... there will heightened interest but as a major sport, not in our lifetime... too many entrenched major sports...
                'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

The writer is discounting one key fact

The risinghispanic population growth. they will be the majority in the near future.
                  “Pele should go back to the museum,” Maradona

Comment

It a grow with the white people too. The last people fi log on a the black American them. Maybe because they dominate so many other sports.

Comment

btw; the country is ColOmbia.

the problem with people like the writer above is that they sense a threat to their "americanism" when football (the real one) rears its head; they fear that they will "lose" something if football becomes more popular in America. They have tried to export American football but failed; basketball, hockey and baseball have their niche outside of America; fact is globally, footbal will always rule, Americans like the writer can either join the party or shake dem head and wonder what the fuss is all about. No biggie.

peter
                      Peter R

Comment

You are right about that Assasin.

The sport of soccer is growing.

I am quite impressed by the level of organization in kids soccer in my area.

The fields are well equipped and cared for; the kids are properly attired, they go through drills;........ even the refs are properly attired. In the distance is the ambulance.

The US has the most registered soccer players in the world.
                        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Not in our lifetime. Possibly by the end of the century.

Comment

Fiddem loss.

Wirl Cup is one of the sweetest carnivals that exist.

It is one big party and lasts a month.

One big exec where I work is dutch and Soccer mad. First name is Marco as well. Everyone knows not to look for him on Monday at 4pm. He just wont be around. It is understood.

Comment

The US ...and even most of the "registered players" you reference do not have the game in their hearts....it's a mere suburban pastime for most... that's the problem. So their vast numbers of players and manicured facilities don't equate to the quality that it would in a true football loving nation.

If ever I see young people in the US playing the game for the simple joy of it, OUTSIDE ORGANIZED LEAGUES...as they do widely with basketball for example.... then the US will be a force. They almost never do this...even in a soccer (sic) hotbed like Long Island.

Until then the US will merely create the best team BIG money, organization & a vast legion of people can buy...but not good enuff to be among the best....or not even good enuff to create 1 elite player.
                              Last edited by Don1; June 25, 2010, 03:16 PM.
                              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X