Football experts....!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football experts....!!!

The disallowed goal (by Mexico) described as off-side had me somewhat puzzled.

Can a forum expert please explain why this was an off-side--when a SA player was clearly in front of the MexTican player holding the goal post..

Thanks in advance.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

In essence the keeper became the "last man" outfield player and the outfield player on the line became the goalkeeper for Offside definition purposes. Since the Mexican Striker was behind the keeper (last man) when the pass was made, he was offside.

Comment

To avoid Offside, you need to have TWO players behind your deepest man when the ball is played. Normally the GK is one of the 2. If the goalie lives the filed, you outta luck. You then need 2 outfield players deeper than your man to avoid offside.

Comment

Pretty stupid if you ask me...and yes i know what the law says...

Comment

Yuh have space pon the Argie bandwaggon. Mi can hold mi nose and hop aboard.

Heart sez Brazil and head seh Albiceleste.

Comment

Thanks a lot both!
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

One more seat left..hurry up...

Comment

You a laugh now. What a thing when the madman decide fi make Palermo lead the attack. LOL

Comment

You sure you nuh lick you head?

couldn't let that one pass Willi
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Offside - easily explained

Originally posted by HL View Post
                    The disallowed goal (by Mexico) described as off-side had me somewhat puzzled.

Can a forum expert please explain why this was an off-side--when a SA player was clearly in front of the Mexican player holding the goal post..

Thanks in advance.
                    A: 1st your answer:

i) A player is not off-side if there are two opposing players nearer to their goal-line than he is when he receives the ball.

The Mexican player - At the moment he received the ball had only one opponent nearer to his opponents' goal-line than he was...! - OFF-SIDE!

ii) ...there is an over-riding situation where he could have been NOT OFFSIDE!

Here it is, but first remember that firstly this game is all about THE BALL.
                    ...OK, here we go:

If the ball is nearer to the opponents' goal-line than an attacking player that player can never be deemed to be off-side (or in an off-side position).

B: Next let's move away from your question to OFF-SIDE easily explained:
                    Just remember these things:

i) If at the moment the ball is played to the attacker by his teammate the ball is nearer to the opponents goal-line than the attacker - NOT OFF-SIDE!

ii) If at the moment the ball is played the attacker was in his own half of the field - NOT OFF-SIDE!

ii) If the attacker receives the ball directly from a goal-kick (matters not if the goal -kick is by the defending team or the attacking team)- NOT OFF-SIDE!

iii) If the attacker receives the ball directly from a corner - NOT OFF-SIDE!

iv) If the attacker receives the ball directly from a throw-in - NOT OFF-SIDE!

v) If at the moment the attacker receives the ball from his teammate there are at least two opponents nearer to their own goal-line than he is - NOT OFF-SIDE!

vi) If the ball was passed/played to the attacker by an opponent - NOT OFF-SIDE!

...so OFF-SIDE demands certain conditions be met that are outside of those mentioned in "B i-vi" above.

...you are now good to go!
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                    X