Why The U.s Won't Go Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why The U.s Won't Go Far

When my editors asked me to write about the Americans' chances of winning the World Cup, I felt I should check in. I thought I'd read it wrong. See, the question this time around isn't whether the Yanks can win the Cup -- the question is if this bunch can get out of their group.

That's not going to sit well with the diehards and dreamers who correctly surmise that this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance for the Americans. They have been gifted their easiest group draw ever and are playing on neutral ground (since they cannot win in Europe, that's a must). The last time they had a combo like this -- in 2002 -- the Americans went all the way to the quarterfinals. Why can't the same be true this time?
    Because the Americans are an average side. Not good, not bad -- average. There's no shame in this -- the fact that the U.S. has come far enough to experience what every other team in the world goes through is a triumph in and of itself. But that's not going to help come June.
    The truth is that the Americans aren't good enough to win the Cup. Among the other truths is that England is among the favorites, Slovenia is exactly the type of Eastern European team the USA historically struggles against, and Algeria can't be dismissed. In a group where you need at minimum four points, this looks like a tall order for the Yanks.
    Why aren't they good enough? The U.S. has problems with tactics, talent and depth. Also, through no fault of their own, the Americans have conceded the biggest advantage they once had.
    That advantage was stealth. The Americans are no longer flying under the radar. People know them, and pay attention to them. Their best players take the field -- or, too often, the bench -- each week in Europe, so other countries have lots and lots of tape to scout (and despite what the English media tell you each week, people started taking the Americans as a serious threat right after they KO'd Portugal in 2002). Again, this is a sign of growth. It's a good thing. It's just not a good thing right now.
    Every once in a while, of course, foreign complacency sets in. You saw that last summer against Spain (don't think Fabio Capello is going to show his guys that one? Think again). But American fans have a selective memory as well. Yeah, the USA got to the finals last summer, albeit in a friendly tournament. That's great. But they also got a lot of help after playing two dreadful games when Italy gave up three goals to punt them into the semis. If this seems like a pattern to you, you're not mistaken. In 2002, the U.S. got a lot of help to get into the knockout round from South Korea; people always forget about that American howler against Poland.
    In truth, the real meaningful result at the Confederations Cup, and the one more fans should be paying attention to, was that 3-2 loss to Brazil. That was a game that showed the USA works hard, and can take advantage of you -- but lacks the skills and international experience needed to close out big games.

FOX SPORTS POLL

• How will the England-U.S. match end?
      • England wins
      • The U.S. wins
      • Draw

; $(document).ready(function() { new fsMedia.Poll('#poll_11275032'); });
    That lack of that knowledge is a killer, and the finger has to be pointed at the coaching staff. Manager Bob Bradley has not demonstrated he's capable of doing anything more than pointing the guys in the direction of the field and wishing them the best. The team has proven incapable of adjusting under pressure, and seems to only employ one set of tactics -- work hard, and play the full 90 minutes. That's more of an ethos than a game plan, however, and it can be exposed pretty quickly.
    Let's talk talent. The U.S. does have three field players who could start regularly on top-level teams. Those men are Landon Donovan, Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey. The U.S. also has three very good goalkeepers to choose from, and even though the best one's at home in Birmingham, both Marcus Hahnemann and Tim Howard enjoyed good seasons. That's four positions capably filled.
    What about the other seven? That's the rub. Most of the guys who would slot in either had miserable years, are untested, or are coming off injuries. We believe a couple of them could be pretty good -- Jay DeMerit and Oguchi Onyewu -- but given a lack of full-fitness and playing time, it's hard to be certain how either of them will fare.
    A number of men that the Americans will have to rely on had miserable years. Of course, Onyewu and DeMerit are in that group, alongside DaMarcus Beasley (dropped by Rangers), Jozy Altidore (sent packing by Hull), Jonathan Spector (miserable season, miserable team), Stuart Holden (injury) and Maurice Edu (injury). Charlie Davies, so inspirational in qualifying, didn't make it after failing to fully heal from a car crash.
    That's a good number of key players we just talked about, and the U.S. doesn't have the depth to cover them. The choices -- Clarence Goodson, Jonathan Bornstein, Robbie Findley -- are unappealing. But that's what the Americans and the coaching staff have to work with.
    Finally, history is against the Americans. They do play better on neutral ground, but they also play in a frustrating pattern at Cups: one good game, one bad game, one mediocre game. Sometimes (1994, 2002) that's enough to go through. Other times (1998, 2006) it's not.
    Bottom line is that all the signs point to the Yanks struggling to get to the knockout stage. They can make the round of 16. But for now, dreams of hoisting the Cup seem set to remain just that.
    -- Jamie Trecker

I stopped reading at talent and M.Bradley. This kid was coopted into the squad. was freddie allowed the same (allowed to make major f ...ups but continue to play and learn). What would be is chances if his dad wasn't the coach? would bora pick him? would Bruce pick him?

Yes the team lacks talent at every position except goalkeeping but they are hard working and efficient at breaking you down in the middle (if you allow it) you cannot take them lightly. To me it's the Bradley circus

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
      I stopped reading at talent and M.Bradley. This kid was coopted into the squad.
      I said it before and I'll say it again:

At just 22 years of age Michael Bradley has already had a better club career than Tappa ever even came close to having.

Doesn't that just burn you up?
      "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
      - Xavi

Comment

Better than Roger Milla too , lets see if he has a better WC than Tappa.

I hope the USA goes far for concacaf sake .I hope you continue with your negativity on the site , we need a little reality check every now and then to remind of evil exist.
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

not me ..... i don't think i could possible care less...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
            Better than Roger Milla too
            No. Milla played for over a decade in the French League.
            "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
            - Xavi

Comment

Milla benched for over a decade in the french lower leagues , injury plaqued him.

Keep the almshouse flowing yuh mek wi know whey we stand.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I see soccer taking off in the USA in the next 2 WC , i have seen a rise in knowledge of the game, players , teams , nations , clubs , gears etc.

You remember the idiot USA reporter saying FIFA would beg them to host it again, I will absoultely state after the next 2 WC , the USA will rage war to host it.

That bad!

Comment

Milla benched for over a decade in the french lower leagues , injury plaqued him.
                  You don't know what you're talking about. Read his stats.
                  • Once he made it out of Valenciennes' reserves he played 11 seasons in France; three were in Division 2, the rest were in Division 1.
                  • Played 312 league games for an average of 28 games per season. This does not include Cup or possible European competitions.
                  Let's give the man some credit, please!
                  - Xavi

Comment

Gimme a source Almshouse ?

Roger Milla (born Albert Roger Mooh Miller, May 20, 1952) is a Cameroonian former football forward. He was one of the first African players to be a major star on the international stage. He played in three World Cups for the Cameroon national team. He achieved international stardom at 38 years old, an age at which most footballers have retired, by scoring four goals at the 1990 World Cup, the most memorable of those goals being in the match against Colombia when he dispossessed Colombian goalkeeper René Higuita 35 yards from goal, eventually going on to score leaving the Colombian goalkeeper stranded. He helped the Cameroon team reach the quarter-finals. He was named one of the 125 greatest living football players in 2004 by the legendary Brazilian football player Pelé.
                    Contents [hide]
                    1 Club career
                    2 Career statistics
                    3 National team
                    3.1 1990 World Cup & Goal Celebrations
                    3.2 1994 World Cup
                    4 Post-playing career
                    5 Best African Player of the century
                    6 References
                    [edit]Club career

Born in the Cameroonian capital of Yaoundé, he moved constantly as a child because of his father's railroad job. He signed for his first club in Douala as a 13-year-old. At 18, he won his first league championship with another Douala club.
                    In 1974, by which time he had moved to Tonnerre Yaoundé and was awarded the African Footballer of the Year award.
                    In 1977, he was lured to Europe by the French club Valenciennes. However, he was kept on the reserves for two years. In 1979, he joined AS Monaco, but shuttled between the reserves' bench and the injury list. The next year, he joined Bastia, but still did not flourish. He finally found stardom at Saint-Etienne in 1984; he then starred for Montpellier from 1986 to 1989, and became a member of the club's coaching staff after retiring from French football.

He was 25 years old by the time he arrived @ As monaco , which year he played in a WC again ?

Kiss teeth........ almshouse!

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                      I stopped reading at talent and M.Bradley. This kid was coopted into the squad. was freddie allowed the same (allowed to make major f ...ups but continue to play and learn). What would be is chances if his dad wasn't the coach? would bora pick him? would Bruce pick him?

Yes the team lacks talent at every position except goalkeeping but they are hard working and efficient at breaking you down in the middle (if you allow it) you cannot take them lightly. To me it's the Bradley circus
                      You're wrong bredren! Have to admit I had the same attitude towards him when he played for the Metrostars, but lets be honest, the youth has improved significantly and deserves to be in the team.
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

The WC will tell..lol

Comment

Lazie...you-a deal with knowings. The rest-a them just-a deal with guessings.

I recall you and I watched this youth developed on the bench while his father was coach.
                          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

The WC will tell..lol
                            Really? The youth was instrumental in getting his country to qualify, so I don't see what you're laffing at. Secondly, what will the WC tell? When France finished last in their group in 2002 what did that WC tell you about Zidane, Henry, Viera etc?
                            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Unnuh join the fantasy league ,Almshouse , H.L & Lazie , time fi unnu shut up and put up !

http://worldfantasy.soccernet.espn.g...app/start.jsp?

Comment

Working...
                              X