Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West African nations lack development of playmakers

West African nations continue to struggle to find skillful playmakers

Two decades ago, the general characterization of African football was that it was too undisciplined. Africa could produce great, powerful forwards and skillful midfielders, but it was let down by defensive inadequacies. The stereotype has proved hard to shift, but if it was ever true, African football left it far behind a long time ago.

The powerful forwards still exist, and they have been joined by great driving holding midfielders and defenders. In North Africa, there are skillful creators -- Egypt has Mohamed Aboutrika and Mohamed Barakat; Algeria has Karim Ziani; Morocco's Adel Taraabt shows great promise -- but in West Africa there is nothing. Even Ivory Coast, with its so-called "golden generation" of players, has lacked real flair.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

while the facts of the article maybe true for the most part...who was the creative midfield force behind italy in the their last world cup triumph?

defence carry di swing...with a team like brasil it is not always evident because they are so attacking. defence wins championships!

when italy had il divino they still couldn't win....france won because of a great defence and fantastic midfield....the forwards were so so...

the last german triumph similarly.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      while the facts of the article maybe true for the most part...who was the creative midfield force behind italy in the their last world cup triumph?
      Pirlo

Comment

he was a force? i mean that was his role...was he a force? italy won on defence, as usual

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yes. He was one of the best midfielders in the entire tournament and was responsible for many of their goals.

Comment

yes you are right...he was voted the 3rd best player of the tournament. they didn't have "many" goals but he contributed significantly.

so i have to agree with you that he was a force in the last world cup.

Comment

It would depend on what you call many. To me, 12 is enough to call many. To you, I guess not. We simply disagree on the metric.

Comment

having played what is it, 7 games? brasil and argentina scored 11 and 10 in 5 respectivley? what is more impressive was their defensive record of conceding only 2.

Comment

I simply said many of their goals. I am talking about an absolute value not a per match value. Even if argentina scored 10 in 5, they were just a goal or two off that pace. Either way, he was still responsible for many of thier goals.

I don't have to say their defensive record is more impressive. That is obvious. Cannavaro and Buffon were the best players in the tournament and the rest all played well.

Comment

not disputing his value to their output, i conceded that. just underscoring that the tournament is more about defence or not conceding goals....although poor switzerland didn't concede any and scored 4 but still got knocked out.

Comment

Working...
                    X