J'can trio turns out for Sheffield reserves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J'can trio turns out for Sheffield reserves

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>BY KAYON RAYNOR Observer staff reporter
    Wednesday, December 20, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>JAMAICAN players Demar Stewart, Jason Morrison and Rafe Wolfe - all of Portmore United - will get a chance to impress the management of English Premiership club Sheffield United in a reserve match against Championship side Leeds United today.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The game, set to take place behind closed doors, is to be played at Sheffield's Bramall Lane Stadium.
    The Jamaicans, who travelled to England last Friday for a one-week trial, do not qualify for a work permit from the British Home Office, having not represented their country's senior team in 75 per cent of their FIFA accredited 'A' games over the past two years.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Stewart and Morrison are currently national senior team players, while Wolfe has represented Jamaica at the Under-17, Under-20 and Under-23 levels.
    But on Monday, football agent Phillip Graham told the Observer that the players could still secure deals to play in Europe through a special arrangement that Sheffield United have with a top Belgian club (Sparta Rotterdam).<P class=StoryText align=justify>"Sheffield United have a feeder club in Belgium, and the view is these three players are not going to qualify for work permits so there is no chance of (them) getting a contract with Sheffield United.
    "However, Belgium is a lot easier than England to get into, therefore, if they impress during this trial period, the idea is to farm (loan) them to Belgium," he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>According to Graham, the players could thereafter return to England, having completed a naturalisation process.
    "If they stay there (Belgium) for three years, they get European passports and if they're good enough, then Sheffield United will have first option to sign the players," Graham explained.<P class=StoryText align=justify>In the past, numerous Reggae Boyz who failed to meet the criteria have been denied work permits by the British Home Office. The incident which saw Luton Shelton failing to ink a deal with English Championship side Burnley in 2005 is one of the most recent cases.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Nevertheless, the experienced Graham, who has successfully negotiated contracts with English clubs for several Jamaicans, hinted that he was using available loopholes to get more local players overseas since he knows the system "as well as anybody".<P class=StoryText align=justify>Meanwhile, quizzed about the Belgian club, Graham could not provide any details, but noted that he would learn more in the coming days.
    "I am going to the game with the chairman (Kevin McCabe) of the club, Sheffield United, and with the manager (Neil Warnock) and after that I'm better off giving you more information then," he said.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

RE: J'can trio turns out for Sheffield reserves

According to Graham, the players could thereafter return to England, having completed a naturalisation process.
    "If they stay there (Belgium) for three years, they get European passports and if they're good enough, then Sheffield United will have first option to sign the players," Graham explained.
    I ask again, where did Keith Kelly go wrong. Why did he leave Belgium to come home and sit trying to play for Arnett Gardens. It seems as if he had it all lined up for him, but. . .
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Talent is one thing, dedication, motivation, ambitionand commitment is another story. Players with less talent will achieve much more.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

How many A-Levels do you need to be a journalist. Or is geography one of those subject that should be mandatory in high school. I tend to believe Sparta Rotterdam is in HOLLAND.

Comment

True Talent only gets you through the door.

Comment

Good to see yuteman ina demyah times get ah chance in life fe kick ball ina professional capacity. When i used to roll ball back ina de 70's, i was told fe leggo dat &amp; tek up me books.Maybe iam right to seh nuff talent perish my da wayside cos of dis lack of opportunity.........Lovely indeed.

Comment

<DIV>
              OJ (12/20/2006)How many A-Levels do you need to be a journalist. Or is geography one of those subject that should be mandatory in high school. I tend to believe Sparta Rotterdam is in HOLLAND.
              </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>And Leyton Orient is not in China! </DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

it might be a tad difficult foir KK to go on any trial right now seeing he is still recovering from a broken foot that is taking some time to heal.

He has been plagued by one injury after another since coming back but I dont think his return was by choice meaning his stint was up and was not renewed, hence he was forced to come back here and start over or build on what he had accomplished
                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

I was not saying that Kelly should go on trial now. I am saying that when he was at PSG, he was for a time on loan to a club in the Belgian league. What is he had a way to extend his stay with that or some other club there? It is possible he could by now have a European passport and be able to go anywhere he wants to play.

Comment

Working...
                  X