• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuller says lack of continuity affects his Jamaica game

Fuller says lack of continuity affects his Jamaica game

Published: Tuesday | May 18, 2010 3 Comments and 0 Reactions

Jamaican international Ricardo Fuller.

André Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter

Jamaican international Ricardo Fuller was among the hundreds of spectators who turned up at the Edward Seaga Sports Complex to show their support for dethroned Digicel Premier League champions Tivoli Gardens, who not only lost their title, but also Sunday's match 2-1 to new champions Harbour View.

The 30-year-old, who scored eight goals this season to help Barclay's Premier League

[COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR]outfit Stoke City to 11th place in world's most popular league, was pleased with many things, such as the development of the local league, his and Stoke's performances in the BPL, and in particular, his brace that ended Arsenal's ambitions in the FA Cup.

Lack of continuity
    He did, however, concede that Jamaica has not seen his best whenever he dons the national colours, but blames that on a lack of continuity in the national programme.

"I'm in a totally different mindset when I'm in England for 10 months, and so to come here and face new players and a new system on a constant basis is difficult," said Fuller.

"Continuation is important for any team, and that's what we need to do here. Keep the thing going, keep the squad together and work on the team chemistry, and that will get the best not only out of me, but other players," he added.

The former Tivoli Gardens talent is happy to be back home among his family and friends, but was disappointed not to be witnessing a Tivoli Gardens celebration. Fuller was also delighted with the way the league has improved since he last played in 2002.

"I'm happy to be back home from a long, hard season in England with Stoke City.

"I'm a bit sad because Tivoli Gardens did not win the title this time around, but it's good to be watching local football

[COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR]and hopefully, the league will continue to improve," Fuller cited.
    "What I've seen so far was quite good. The teams seem to be playing well and the surface is definitely better and 40 per cent of the game is down to the surface. The domestic football can help the national programme,

[COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR]so this is welcome."

Fuller received the plaudits of many English football fans [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]and commentators and the skilful striker was pleased with his contribution to his team's improved season. He is now eying an extension to his current deal with Stoke City.

"Last season, we had a very good season, but this season was actually brilliant because we managed to improve in every area," said Fuller. "I finished with eight goals and even though I had 11 last year, I played a lot better than I did last year. My performance was a lot higher and consistent this year, and it's proven in the league stats and the respect that I get from other managers. So it goes to show that I have improved and how highly they look up to me."

Fuller continued: "I have two more years left on my current contract, but we will have talks when I get back. I have done really well, and right now a lot of other clubs are interested and are knocking on the door, so I'm looking forward to these talks when I get back in July.

"I'm happy at Stoke City, even if you can't be too happy, but if the talks go well maybe I'll get another two-year deal and maybe finish my career there."

And what about that memorable Arsenal game?

"To be fair, we knew that if we roughed up Arsenal and got in their face then they would always try to duck and dive, [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR]so we managed to do this. We know that and especially at our Britannia Stadium - that is out fortress - I managed to get the chances and I scored. Once I get them, I'll score them," said Fuller of his two-goal performance.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X