X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazil coach Dunga faces World Cup selection challenge

By Daniel Gallas
    BBC Brazil

When Dunga was appointed head coach of Brazil four years ago, many of his compatriots were displeased.
    In a country where so many new talented coaches emerge every season, it seemed an odd choice to install a former player without any managing experience.
    It did not help that Dunga was seen as stubborn and hot-headed back in the days when he was captain of the national team.
    But by the end of 2009, the newspapers were full of praise for the man who had completed the difficult task of reforming the Seleção - bringing fresh new faces to a team formerly composed of ageing superstars.
    It was commonly held belief that Brazil had had such a poor performance in Germany 2006 - where they lost in the quarter-finals to France - because of the lack of interest of its well-established and highly-paid players, some of them who had already achieved everything one can dream of on the pitch.
    After Dunga had made some eccentric selection choices- like calling up the widely unknown Afonso Alves to replace stellar names like Ronaldo and Adriano - he eventually found the right new players.

Dunga's shake-up of the side saw Julio Cesar replace Dida in goal

Roberto Carlos and Cafu, who had held the full-back positions virtually uncontested for more than a decade, gave way to Andre Santos and Maicon.
    Juan and Lucio, both of whom had been in Germany 2006, kept their jobs and even seemed to improve their form.
    And Julio Cesar was a superb replacement for Dida in goal.
    But Dunga's most important achievement was in renovating the midfield.
    The problematic question of how to make Kaka and Ronaldinho, attacking midfielders so similar in style, play side-by-side was resolved in typical Dunga fashion during South American qualifying - he simply chose one and ignored the other.
    It helped that Ronaldinho's career seemed to have taken a sudden turn for the worse, while Kaka remained in top form.
    Brazil's best results were achieved with Felipe Melo and Gilberto Silva as defensive midfielders, and Kaka and Ramires up front supplying goals to Luis Fabiano and Robinho.
    So far, this year has been ominous for the coach's plans. Kaka and Luis Fabiano, arguably Brazil's two most important attacking players, were injured, along with a host of substitutes who were on Dunga's list. Even after recovering, they are yet to regain their best form.
    Dunga also seems to have given up on Andre Santos, and is now in search of a new left-back. There are no obvious choices for the vacancy.

But what is probably really troubling Dunga is the question of Neymar and Paulo Henrique Ganso.
    Last year, few paid attention to the Santos duo - a 17-year-old boyish striker and a 21-year-old midfielder who has already been compared to Pele.
    Since January, the pair have scored 36 goals between them in only 24 games for their club. Neymar has the impressive record of one goal per game this season.
    Santos have crushed many rivals since the beginning of the Brazilian season in January, including a merciless 8-1 beating of Guarani. Last weekend, Santos were crowned Sao Paulo state champions, with two goals scored by Neymar and yet another skilful exhibition by Ganso.
    With Neymar and Ganso playing as they are, Robinho - who made headlines after being loaned by Manchester City to Santos for a reportedly large sum in February - has been little more than an expensive sidekick to the talented duo.
    The press and the fans cannot get enough of Ganso and Neymar.
    There is huge pressure on Dunga to call them up next Tuesday, when he announces the final list of who will be going to South Africa.
    Last month, a TV crew filmed a whole show overnight in front of Dunga's house, prompting the understandably irritated coach to call the police. The main topic of the show was Neymar and Ganso.
    And then there is still Ronaldinho.
    Last season, when he was in poor shape, it was only regarded as fair that the former World Player of the Year should not be called up. This has changed dramatically since last October, when Ronaldinho regained some of his past lustre.
    When Kaka started to suffer with injuries recently, many saw that Dunga would not have any replacements quite up to the task, who have the same amount of experience and skill.

Ronaldinho's return to form makes him a viable swap for the injured Kaka

A recent poll among Brazilian fans says that Ronaldinho is still regarded as the man for the job, should it come to it.
    Dunga is a man who sticks to his principles and ideas. Throughout the past months, he has repeatedly said that his list was already drafted and that no-one should expect any surprises.
    More recently he has gone quiet, neither confirming nor denying that some of his original plans might need rethinking, because of the new circumstances.
    This has drawn a huge amount of criticism, with many pundits in Brazilian football chat-shows arguing that the coach is obliged to make changes.
    We will see whether Dunga has changed his mind when he announces the final 23 players who will make it to South Africa.
    And on 15 June, when Brazil play their first game in Johannesburg against North Korea, we will begin to see whether he will have made the right choices.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Dinho shouldn't even be in the equation. the santos duo should be in the squad. Neymar playing better ball than Robinho.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
      Dinho shouldn't even be in the equation. the santos duo should be in the squad. Neymar playing better ball than Robinho.
      Obviously yuh waan set off Jawge. Personally, if he doesn't make the squad I wouldn't be surprised.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Ronaldinho inna di mix again, him haffi re-consider kah, di ballah ah gwaan good. Plus him ah guh needed.

Comment

Ronaldinho - I'll win World Cup

Ronaldinho remains convinced that he will be part of the Brazil squad for this summer's World Cup finals in South Africa.
          The AC Milan playmaker was a key member of Brazil's successful 2002 team in the Far East and also played in the 2006 finals in Germany.
          However, he has yet to cement his spot in current Brazil coach Dunga's plans and there are suggestions he could miss out on this year's tournament.
          The two-time World Player of the Year is not fearing for his place, though, and believes he can be involved in another World Cup-winning squad for his country.
          He said in an article in Chi:"I will go to the World Cup and I will win it.
          "Recently I have had problems with the national team, but it hasn't been my fault.
          "I can't imagine a World Cup without Ronaldinho on the field. It seems impossible to me when I think of not playing.
          "I feel bad, really bad. Therefore, I can safely say I will make my country proud in the World Cup and, above all - with my team-mates - I'll win it."

Comment

King Binho done mek dat side. How much Wc Dunga play? Dunga knows the WC is mental tourney where only a selected few players can shine. The bigger the crowd, the more important the game; binho shines. No coach would rest their WC hopes on untried players. WC is mortal combat not club ball.

Now I see brasil is prepared for the African challenge but I fear that if a team such as england get to score first, Brasil will need a creator to dig them out. This is where Dinho comes in. England has a good coach (master tactician), Brasil need all their weapons to reach the finals (notice I didn't mention threat from S.america because there is none) Granted if they meet spain, Spain will be destroyed. I won't say the same for England (seeing that Brasil starts slowly at times, and Capello will look to take advantage). I really hope the Dunga takes Dinho. senor Dunga kaka is great when there is SPACE matter of fact Kaka is a closet forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
              kaka is great when there is SPACE matter of fact Kaka is a closet forward.
              Kaka creates his own space!

Funny! People always cuss why teams leave Maestro unmarked in the DPL. Is not dat him unmarked. Him just good!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                Kaka creates his own space!

Funny! People always cuss why teams leave Maestro unmarked in the DPL. Is not dat him unmarked. Him just good!
                "Maestro" ... never know Beenie Man a play ball now.

Comment

Beenie Man name Maestro now? Nuh King of Dancehall him name? Or Girls Dem Sugar. Not Maestro!! Is one man name suh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Boss yuh nuh hear fi stap blen up Tappa name Iyah. Most time yuh use to ketch mi wid dat Maestro ting, an mi ah say what tappa ah do now an him nat even ah play ball nuhmore. Cho.

Kaka don't create no space when the defenders are discplined.

Comment

Ronaldinho misses Brazil cut

Ronaldinho and Adriano will both miss the World Cup in South Africa after being omitted from the 23-man Brazil squad named by Dunga on Tuesday.

GettyImagesRonaldinho (L) is out, but Robinho is in.

Wolfsburg striker Grafite is the surprise inclusion at the expense of Flamengo's Adriano, while Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes is one of the three keepers named.
                      Dunga explained Adriano's failure to make the squad was a rational, rather than emotional decision after the former Inter Milan forward was granted numerous chances to impress and failed to do so.
                      "Adriano was given several opportunities," said Dunga, who lifted the World Cup as captain in 1994 and will now bid for the Selecao's sixth World Cup win. "There was a moment when we made a decision about the group.
                      "The group always welcomed Adriano, but there is a moment when reason talks louder than the heart."
                      The 30-year-old Ronaldinho, who was the FIFA World Player of the Year in 2004 and 2005, has been in good form for AC Milan this season but has missed out on Dunga's squad for the finals in 2010, denying him the chance to add a second World Cup crown to the one he won in 2002.
                      One of his team-mates in 2002, former Manchester United midfielder Kleberson, has made it into the squad after rediscovering his best form back in Brazil with Flamengo.
                      The coach also opted to leave out Santos duo Paulo Henrique and Neymar. Dunga revealed the duo failed to impress enough while on international duty.
                      "I have to test the players when they are in the national team," he said. "I follow their form in their clubs, but why didn't you (the media) want them in the squad in December or January?
                      "These players are enormously talented, but I cannot prepare a national team for 2014 if I have to win today."
                      AC Milan's Alexandre Pato has also failed to win selection after a less-than-impressive season in Italy.
                      Inter Milan trio Julio Cesar, Maicon and Lucio will be three of the most important players in the squad after helping the Nerazzurri clinch a berth in the Champions League final against Bayern Munich.
                      Brazil have been drawn in Group G alongside North Korea, Ivory Coast and Portugal and Dunga called for the fans to back the team, regardless of their thoughts on him as coach.
                      "I beg the Brazilian fan that they support us," he said. "If they don't like me or any other thing, that's fine, but I want him to support us, to be a patriot."
                      Brazil squad:
                      Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Inter Milan), Doni (Roma), Heurelho Gomes (Tottenham)
                      Defenders: Maicon (Inter Milan), Dani Alves (Barcelona), Lucio (Inter Milan), Juan (Roma), Luisao (Roma), Thiago Silva (AC Milan), Gilberto (Cruzeiro), Michel Bastos (Lyon)
                      Midfielders: Gilberto Silva (Panathinaikos), Felipe Melo (Juventus), Josue (Wolfsburg), Elano (Galatasaray), Ramires (Benfica), Kleberson (Flamengo), Kaka (Real Madrid), Julio Baptista (Roma)
                      Forwards: Robinho (Santos/Manchester City), Nilmar (Villarreal), Luis Fabiano (Sevilla), Grafite (Wolfsburg).

Comment

Brazil will not win this world Cup. Archive this. A team playing like Brazil should will. I really beleive the amount of salad and pile Dunga get from Dinho a pollute him brain.

Comment

Dunga a fool, how him fe lef out the big balla?
                          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                            Dunga a fool, how him fe lef out the big balla?
                            People been second guessing Dunga from Day 1 ... and he continues to prove them wrong.

Comment

Brazil will not win the World cup without the general Ronaldinho!

Comment

Working...
                              X