Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Ferguson Had Failed Before Season Even Began

By Mick Dennis

IT ENDED with a whimper and some bangs for Manchester United.
    On the pitch, there was a strolling victory in a half-hearted match. In the streets outside, there were smoke bombs and stink bombs, as protests about the American owners generated the only genuine passion of the afternoon.

And somewhere behind the scenes, a replica of the Premier League trophy – which had been taken to Old Trafford just in case – was discreetly kept out of sight as the real one was presented at Stamford Bridge. Sir Alex Ferguson summed up the defeated air of fatalism by doing...nothing.

Not once all afternoon did he get out of his seat to prowl the technical area to chide his players or berate the match officials. He certainly did not point at his watch, because he knew time had run out when news began arriving of Chelsea’s romp against Wigan.

At the finish, he joined his players in the centre circle, made a speech about “going again next season” then led the weary troops on a single, sad circuit of the pitch. Like another Scot who had hoped for another term at the top of the pile, Ferguson is inclined to blame events outside his control when things go wrong.

He attributes this season’s disappointments to what he called “one bad week” but was actually nine days in which a home Premier League defeat by Chelsea was sandwiched between the two fixtures with Bayern Munich which turfed United out of the Champions League.

The “typical Germans” of Bayern did not deserve to go through, according to Ferguson, and, of course, Chelsea only won at Old Trafford because of refereeing mistakes. But if there was really one period in which United’s season was truly damaged, it was the month before it began – when Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez both left and Ferg uson signed only the ageing, injury-prone Michael Owen as replacement.
    Too much attacking reliance was placed on Wayne Rooney. He willingly accepted the burden, but looked particularly forlorn yesterday as he limped off with yet another injury. Ferguson says he will “freshen up” the squad this summer.

Better late than never. And so now attention really does shift to the Glazer family. Yesterday’s protests included a light aircraft buzzing around the ground and towing a banner, the distribution of placards and calls to delay the renewal of season tickets.

The protesters were, like Ferguson, seeking someone to blame for this season – and were ignoring the awkward fact that, since the Glazer takeover in 2005, United have won three domestic titles, one European and one world title and three league cups, including this season.

But it is fair to ask whether they will sanction serious spending this summer. Stoke will have some extra funds. They will receive £8million in prize money for finishing 11th and deserve credit for defying “second-season syndrome”.

Stoke fans enjoyed their day, taunting United about Chelsea’s success – although their own team were dismantled 7-0 at Stamford Bridge recently. But the abiding image was of Ferguson walking off with his hands shoved deep into his pockets. The question is whether the Glazers will now dip into their own pockets.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/174158/Alex-Ferguson-had-failed-before-season-even-began/?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Really now? I guess all kinds of critics gonna appear out of the woodwork now.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      Really now? I guess all kinds of critics gonna appear out of the woodwork now.
      Yes!
      This one said, "BoyU will not win the EPL".
      ...so said, so it happened!

unnuh lucky unnuh was ongle 1 pint shart!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        Yes!
        This one said, "BoyU will not win the EPL".
        ...so said, so it happened!

unnuh lucky unnuh was ongle 1 pint shart!
        Come on ... that has been your wishful thinking every year. Grammar error, "unnuh unlucky unnuh was ongle 1 pint shart."

Tanks!

Comment

Lazie - you will recall I told you NOT THAT MANure would LOSE, but that it was CHELSKI's TITLE to lose. So said, so done. Your team needs another midfield class goal scorer to challenge. I am betting that's what you'll see next year. Valencia is a good balla, but doesn't score enough.
          "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
            Lazie - you will recall I told you NOT THAT MANure would LOSE, but that it was CHELSKI's TITLE to lose. So said, so done. Your team needs another midfield class goal scorer to challenge. I am betting that's what you'll see next year. Valencia is a good balla, but doesn't score enough.
            RAHTID .... Yuh alive bredren? Welcome back. MU lost the title suh yuh return?

I was telling Sass the other day MU didn't get enough goals from midfield, but because me a ball novice pon the forum dem tek mi fi eediat. Everytime me see Snjieder fi Inter mi vex.

Not only is a scoring/ creative mid is needed, a left winger and another stiker that is capable of playing as the loan man up front is needed. Wonder if Torres want to play Champions League next season?

Comment

How ironic it is that KOP and Arsenal fans, whose teams finished behind Man U, are taking on people about Man U not winning. Wow! Only Chelsea fans should be talking. Well Man U came second this time after winning the league more than 50% of the time and the remainder of the time came second, except for one or two occasions when they came third. How can KOP and Arsenal fans really open their mouths? Is it that they know that Man U is so good that the expectations for Man U are rightly higher than the expectations for their teams?
              "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

You were going alright until the Torres comment...facety ra**...fi u time will come. I am very much flying on one wing as my many obligations have me wukin' like a dog...
                "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Working...
                X