Arsene Wenger targets bargains at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arsene Wenger targets bargains at home

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger targets bargains at home as Manchester City and Chelsea take their riches abroad

By Sportsmail Reporter
    Last updated at 4:41 PM on 5th May 2010

Arsene Wenger admits it might be easier to find bargains in England as he prepares to enter the transfer market this summer.
    The Arsenal boss has made a reputation from unearthing little-known foreign stars, but he admits it is harder than ever to dip into the global talent pool.
    Shopping in the domestic market has traditionally been viewed as coming at a premium, but Wenger said: 'It is changing a little because the market will be lower.

Hidden talents: Vermaelen (right) went from unknown to household name at Arsenal

'It looks to me like the big teams with big financial potential like Manchester City, like Chelsea might go abroad. So if they move abroad the internal market will be a bit cheaper.'
    Wenger's most recent signings from English clubs were Mikael Silvestre from Manchester United and Aaron Ramsey from Cardiff in 2008.
    Goodbye bargains: Wenger

France defender Silvestre was a free transfer, while Wales midfielder Ramsey, who has yet to win a regular first-team spot with Arsenal, cost about £5million
    Wenger has not been hugely active in recent transfer windows, preferring to rely on players from the club's youth teams. His only high-profile signing last summer was Belgium defender Thomas Vermaelen from Dutch club Ajax.
    'I had known Thomas because he played against us and I had a picture in my head that was good,' said Wenger said. 'But it was still a gamble because I liked him when he played against us.'
    Wenger has helped relatively unknown players such as Patrick Vieira, Cesc Fabregas and Nicolas Anelka become world-class players at Arsenal but told Arsenal's website that such a policy may be outdated because other clubs have emulated his scouting network.
    'It is not any more as it was 15 or 20 years ago,' Wenger said. 'Everybody knows everybody now. It is more about shrewd buying now in taking a gamble than in discovering somebody.'
    Wenger has already indicated that he intends to bolster his squad during the off-season and hopes to announce at least one signing before the World Cup starts on June 11.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Morocco striker Marouane Chamakh 'counting the days

Marouane Chamakh is set to complete his free transfer move to Arsenal. Photograph: Matthew Impey/Empics

The Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh says he is "counting the days" until completing his free transfer to Arsenal, and says he will prove he was worth the wait.
    The Morocco international has been a long-term target for Arsenal, having almost moved to the Emirates Stadium last summer. The 26-year-old, who has 15 goals for the French club this season, is expected to sign a £50,000-a-week contract.
    "I count the days, 11 short days. As time passes, it feels weird. I feel many emotions," Chamakh told the French newspaper L'Equipe.
    "I am delighted to join the English football atmosphere, it is something amazing. I love Arsenal's game. I know I will have to adapt but I know the short passing game.
    "In February, I made my decision. A departure clause [in a potential new Bordeaux contract] was not logical after refusing Arsenal last summer."
    Chamakh has been with Bordeaux for a decade and helped them reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League.
    "For my last matches with Bordeaux I can feel a lot of emotion, but I am leaving for a new challenge. At Bordeaux I was the club's child. In London, I won't be a kid anymore. I have grown, I have things to prove and I am motivated to achieve it."
    The forward maintained he had rejected several other offers to sign for Arsenal. "There were approaches from Liverpool, Tottenham and crazy offers from Russia which were much greater than those from England, but I was focused on playing in the Premier League," said Chamakh.
    "I took a risk to stay with one year left on my contract, but I never cheated, I gave myself thoroughly"
    Should Manchester City and Spurs draw tonight, then Arsenal would be guaranteed third place, and with it automatic entry in the group stages of next season's Champions League. Nevertheless, the Arsenal manager knows he faces a challenge to strengthen the squad in key areas over the summer.
    Chamakh's arrival will take care of the attack, and may even lead to the departure of Eduardo, while the Nice striker Loïc Rémy has made no secret of his desire to join the Gunners.
    The goalkeeping position has come under scrutiny in recent weeks with Lukasz Fabianski a target for Blackburn. The Manchester City keeper Joe Hart has been linked, and the Italian veteran Gianlugi Buffon has indicated he would be open to a switch to England were the chance to arise.
    In defence, meanwhile, Wenger has yet to resolve contract issues with William Gallas, Mikaël Silvestre and Sol Campbell.
    Wenger accepts his squad does need additions, but maintains pulling off another transfer success like last summer's purchase of the Belgian centre-half Thomas Vermaelen will be no easy task.
    "It is not any more as it was 15 or 20 years ago – everybody knows everybody now. It is more about shrewd buying now in taking a gamble than in discovering somebody."
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
      Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger targets bargains at home as Manchester City and Chelsea take their riches abroad

By Sportsmail Reporter
      Last updated at 4:41 PM on 5th May 2010

Arsene Wenger admits it might be easier to find bargains in England as he prepares to enter the transfer market this summer.
      The Arsenal boss has made a reputation from unearthing little-known foreign stars, but he admits it is harder than ever to dip into the global talent pool.
      Shopping in the domestic market has traditionally been viewed as coming at a premium, but Wenger said: 'It is changing a little because the market will be lower.

Hidden talents: Vermaelen (right) went from unknown to household name at Arsenal

'It looks to me like the big teams with big financial potential like Manchester City, like Chelsea might go abroad. So if they move abroad the internal market will be a bit cheaper.'
      Wenger's most recent signings from English clubs were Mikael Silvestre from Manchester United and Aaron Ramsey from Cardiff in 2008.
      Goodbye bargains: Wenger

France defender Silvestre was a free transfer, while Wales midfielder Ramsey, who has yet to win a regular first-team spot with Arsenal, cost about £5million
      Wenger has not been hugely active in recent transfer windows, preferring to rely on players from the club's youth teams. His only high-profile signing last summer was Belgium defender Thomas Vermaelen from Dutch club Ajax.
      'I had known Thomas because he played against us and I had a picture in my head that was good,' said Wenger said. 'But it was still a gamble because I liked him when he played against us.'
      Wenger has helped relatively unknown players such as Patrick Vieira, Cesc Fabregas and Nicolas Anelka become world-class players at Arsenal but told Arsenal's website that such a policy may be outdated because other clubs have emulated his scouting network.
      'It is not any more as it was 15 or 20 years ago,' Wenger said. 'Everybody knows everybody now. It is more about shrewd buying now in taking a gamble than in discovering somebody.'
      Wenger has already indicated that he intends to bolster his squad during the off-season and hopes to announce at least one signing before the World Cup starts on June 11.

..............and therein lies Arsenal's/Wegner's failure.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
      X