Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the World Cup is bad for South Africa

Why the World Cup won't make money

In South Africa, a third of the population lives on $2 or less a day.

In rural Nelspruit, where many of the locals live without electricity or running water, four World Cup games will be played in a state-of-the-art, 46,000-seat structure that was built at a cost of $137 million.

The South African government has spent an estimated $6 billion on World Cup-related infrastructure, from new stadiums to transportation improvements.

The justification for the monumental cost of hosting this summer's World Cup: an economic bonanza; a watershed moment for the African continent; an investment that will reap handsome rewards; an opportunity to attract foreign investors.

All these arguments are tenuous at best.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

is there any article suggesting that the world cup may be a boon to south africa?

i have not seen you post one article that says anything positive about the world cup being in south africa. are there NO such articles?!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

This South African fan disagrees and lists 9 reasons why the tournament will be great:

What the World Cup means to a South African
      "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
      - Xavi

Comment

There are some disturbing parallels between this football World Cup and the disapointment of the WI cricket World Cup though.

I am a bit concerned, it would be sad to see half empty stadiums at World Cup football games.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

true but didn't they say that 90/95% of the tickets were already sold especially after they opened them up locally for sale?

in fact many games are sold out.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

No empty seats at World Cup, FIFA promises

Yes, the latest from FIFA is that ticket sales are not a problem and we will not see empty stadiums:

No empty seats at World Cup, FIFA promises
            - Xavi

Comment

Well thats great news. I had seen an article that the tickets were going slowly and the familiar discussions about ticket price vs income of locals so i'm glad that didn't tuen out to be a problem.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

well SA can be kinda expensive to get to .... i was seeing airline ticket prices of $4,500 and up...coach!!!!

Comment

I went to the Pontiac Silverdome in 1994 to watch a WC match. Mind you, the expenditure may not have been as high as it is in SA, but money was spent.

Detroit has remained a dump since!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

you dumped on the place?!!

Comment

didn't have to!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                        Well thats great news. I had seen an article that the tickets were going slowly and the familiar discussions about ticket price vs income of locals so i'm glad that didn't tuen out to be a problem.
                        Full stadiums are important from an aesthetic standpoint because large sections of empty seats look bad for such a major event. But it won't necessarily mean financial success, since they have had to lower prices to sell many of them, and in some cases are even giving them away for free.
                        - Xavi

Comment

i dunno about FIFA but south africa will get a boon! it is a beautiful country and tourists will have a field day!

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
                            Full stadiums are important from an aesthetic standpoint because large sections of empty seats look bad for such a major event.
                            do the same thing the american stations do - pack all the people in one place and point the cameras over there!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

World Cup organizers: Budget is ‘tight’

The local organizing committee of the World Cup says its budget is “tight” and concedes that it is under pressure to stage the tournament without overspending.

“We are under a lot of pressure right now in terms of budget,” said Greg Fredericks, a top aide to committee chief executive Danny Jordaan. “We believe at this stage we are within budget. (But) I think it’s tight.”

Fredericks addressed a government committee on sports and culture in Johannesburg on Wednesday and updated it on the preparations of the Gauteng province, which includes host cities Johannesburg and Pretoria, where the opening and closing ceremonies, the opening game and the final will be played.

(continue)
                              - Xavi

Comment

Working...
                              X