Ghana minus Agogo for World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghana minus Agogo for World Cup

ACCRA, Ghana -- Ghana forward Junior Agogo will miss the World Cup following knee surgery.

Ghana's Football Association says the 30-year-old, formerly of Major League Soccer's Chicago Fire and Colorado Rapids, will be sidelined for six months. He currently is with Apollon Limassol in Cyprus.

Agogo missed this year's African Cup of Nations in Angola because coach Milovan Rajevac said he was not fit enough. Ghana lost to Egypt in the final.

Agogo starred at the 2008 African Cup in Ghana, scoring the winner in the quarterfinals against Nigeria and three goals overall as the Black Stars finished third.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

... and there is the possibility of Essien not making it or being fit enough.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      ... and there is the possibility of Essien not making it or being fit enough.
      Essien awaits injury news

Michael Essien will learn whether he is fit enough to feature in Ghana's World Cup campaign within days.
      The Chelsea midfielder has been out of action since injuring his knee on international duty in the African Cup of Nations in January and has been struggling for fitness ever since.
      Essien has remained at Chelsea's Cobham training ground carrying on his rehabilitation and the 27-year-old will know shortly whether he has a chance of playing in the South Africa finals.
      "The plan right now is to have a detailed meeting with the Ghana FA and with Chelsea as well in the next few days," said the former Lyon performer.
      "We are organising that as we speak so everyone will be fully informed about the situation and the progress on a daily basis.
      Fingers crossed

"We felt it was best to leave it until now so as not to disrupt Chelsea's league and cup plans and also it is the best time for the Ghana FA as the team will be getting ready to meet up now.
      "I have to keep working hard to be fit. Once I am fit I hope to feature in at least one trial match before the World Cup starts.
      "I haven't played since January so I will need games before the real thing starts. However even if I don't get any trial games, as long I am declared fit by the medical team then I will be in South Africa for sure.
      "At the moment I am carrying on with my rehabilitation programme. Chelsea have allowed me to carry on until the end of May at Cobham and my fitness will be assessed by the experts as the days go by.
      "I feel a lot better than I did a few weeks ago so I am keeping my fingers crossed that all will be well."
      On Chelsea's historic success in the 2009-10 season Essien added: "It's a good feeling to be double champions and in actual fact we are treble winners because we won the Community Shield at the start of the season so it has been a very successful season."

Comment

Working...
      X