I think this award belongs to Drogba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think this award belongs to Drogba

Manchester United hero Wayne Rooney picks up PFA gong and insists: I'll be fit for World Cup!

By Matt Lawton Chief Football Correspondent
    Last updated at 12:30 PM on 26th April 2010

Wayne Rooney, who has been named the PFA’s Player of the Year, has given England coach Fabio Capello a boost by declaring he will overcome his groin injury long before the World Cup.

Capello had been sweating on the fitness of his two most important players — Rooney and captain Rio Ferdinand, who continues to struggle with a combination of back and groin problems.

But Rooney said: ‘The groin will be fine for the World Cup, there are no worries about that. I’m hoping to play for United in the last game of the season.’

And the winner is: Rooney and Milner pick up their awards

PFA team of the year

Joe Hart (Birmingham), Branislav Ivanovic (Chelsea), Richard Dunne (Aston Villa), Thomas Vermaelen (Arsenal), Patrice Evra (Manchester United), Antonio Valencia (Manchester United), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), James Milner (Aston Villa), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Didier Drogba (Chelsea)

Both Rooney and Ferdinand missed Manchester United’s victory over Tottenham on Saturday. Rooney injured his groin as a result of over-compensating to protect the ankle he damaged in the first leg of United’s Champions League quarter-final tie with Bayern Munich.

Capello got another fillip when Ashley Cole returned to Chelsea’s starting line-up yesterday after finally recovering from a broken ankle, easing the national coach’s concerns about left back, and in particular whether Wayne Bridge can be persuaded to change his mind about missing the World Cup.
    The England coach has enlisted the help of Roberto Mancini and Manchester City’s England players in trying to convince Bridge that he should travel to South Africa despite the hurt of John Terry’s affair with his ex-fiancee, Vanessa Perroncel.
    In the PFA vote Rooney’s selection, ahead of fellow nominees Cesc Fabregas, Carlos Tevez and Didier Drogba, means that Manchester United have supplied the winner of the prestigious award for a fourth successive year.

The 24-year-old, who has scored 34 goals for United and eight for England this season, said: ‘It’s a great feeling to win the award because it’s voted for by the players.

I'll be fit: Rooney has assured Fabio Capello he will be fit for the World Cup

‘I remember coming here in 2005 and 2006 to win the young player of the year. I saw the players winning the main one and it’s something I’ve aimed for since.’
    PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor said: 'Wayne has been absolutely phenomenal once again and, in his new role this season, has created even more havoc for opposition defences.

'When Cristiano Ronaldo was at United, Wayne played more of a supporting role, but as the No 1 striker and goalscorer he is now one of the best in the world, not just in this country.
    “He has always been prepared to work at all aspects of his game, and this season in particular, the improvement in his heading ability has been there for all to see. He’s like a modern-day Dixie Dean.'

Aston Villa winger James Milner is the PFA’s Young Player of the Year, boosting his hopes of selection to England’s World Cup squad.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1268805/Manchester-United-hero-Wayne-Rooney-picks-PFA-gong-insists-Ill-fit-World-Cup.html#ixzz0mE1PNLxg
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Why yuh say that Jangle?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I was going to say because Drogba did more and added more value to his team but then I stopped to think. Rooney's value to the Empire this season is coming more to the fore with him being out, so i'll take back that statement. Well deserved Mr. Rooney.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
        I was going to say because Drogba did more and added more value to his team but then I stopped to think. Rooney's value to the Empire this season is coming more to the fore with him being out, so i'll take back that statement. Well deserved Mr. Rooney.
        Any 3 players could win it. Rooney, Drobga or Fabregas.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I thought you were going to say if it weren't for dat tiefing(halfside) goal from Drogba Chelsea would not be in the driver's seat regarding the EPL.

Blessed

Comment

Look,before anyone spoke highly of Darren Fletcher I did.How important is he to Man U? Fabrewho?

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
              Look,before anyone spoke highly of Darren Fletcher I did.How important is he to Man U? Fabrewho?
              No comparison Rockman, Fabregas is the heartbeat of Arsenal, Fletcher plays a different role for his team.

Comment

The Drog all the way , I guess you can call it a slip Jangle ?

But we all know who is the man , season after season.
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

A bredrin of mine pointed out this fact to me regarding the effects of both Rooney and Drogba to their teams - when Drogba misses a game, Chelsea continues to win handsomely; when Rooney is out, the Empire struggles. Who is more important to his team?

Comment

That has nothing to do with being the BEST striker in the Prem , same can be said of a handfull of Prem team ask my dear Pool !

It is the DROG!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                      That has nothing to do with being the BEST striker in the Prem , same can be said of a handfull of Prem team ask my dear Pool !

It is the DROG!
                      Well the award isn't for best striker is it?

Comment

Ayyy and the Drog still ave your boy and your team beat !

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                          Ayyy and the Drog still ave your boy and your team beat !
                          As I said, any 3 of Drogba, Fabregas or Rooney winning the award I would have no problem with. You are clearly trying to start something which doesn't exist.

Comment

Working...
                          X