Article on Edson Buddle discusses his Jamaican roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on Edson Buddle discusses his Jamaican roots

Buddle budding at right time: Will he get call?

Buddle admits he wasn't the most dedicated player when he was younger. His father says that stems from the way he learned the game.

Winston Buddle, now 53, was born in Jamaica and played there for Montego Bay's Seba United. He says he went on to stints with Iraklis Thessaloniki in Greece and Anorthosis Famagusta in Cyprus, later winding up with the New Jersey Americans and Jersey Eagles of the American Soccer League.

Father couldn't wait to play soccer with his son.

"The ball was there before he was born. It was in the crib waiting for him," he said. "It was nice to have a son to kick the ball around with."

Saying he followed the tradition he knew from Jamaica, Winston Buddle had his son play ball with older men.
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

This also....

Buddle downplays USMNT furor

Despite impressive start, Galaxy star worried over U.S. chemistry

No other player in MLS history has started off a season as quickly as the Galaxy’s Edson Buddle has in 2010.

That much, we know. We know about his seven goals through four games, while no other player in league history had scored more than six in the same span.

What we don’t know, however, is how much it all actually means to coach Bob Bradley and the U.S. National Team. His hot streak has pundits and U.S. supporters clamoring for Buddle’s inclusion on the World Cup roster, and injuries to the front line have all but justified the LA star’s ascension to the top international stage.

But while the opinions are coming in from all parts, at least one person says Buddle is not deserving of a spot.
    And that’s Buddle himself.

“I would say I would deserve to… if I was in and out of camp and then all of the sudden I get hot, since it’s so close I would probably say yes,” Buddle said after training on Wednesday. “But right now, [the U.S. national team has] a chemistry already.”

Buddle’s record-setting pace has convinced many that he does indeed have things to offer for the U.S. He’s scored in the air, from long range, from impossible angles and with his speed. He’s also been pushed around, held, grabbed and knocked down by opposing defenders, and still managed at least a goal in each game.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

That is the sporting culture ! Youths play with the elders to build character at an early age , early meaning from 5 up wards! In every facet of sport.They play for fun and competitive .That is the culture.

Saying he followed the tradition he knew from Jamaica, Winston Buddle had his son play ball with older men.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Buddle happy to be given USA opportunity

It may only be an early roster, but even so, striker Edson Buddle is closer to international play than he has been in years. It was 2003 when he earned his first and only cap for the United States.

Now, nearly seven years later, the forward's recent blazing form in domestic league play has caught the attention of USA coach Bob Bradley. Buddle leads Major League Soccer in goals scored and had helped the LA Galaxy to an unbeaten record.

"It's an opportunity and it's a blessing and I'm ready to work hard," Buddle told Goal.com after being named to the 30-player list of hopefuls for the World Cup.

(continue)
        "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
        - Xavi

Comment

Two Strikers Score Their Way Into the Picture

Buddle, who turns 29 on Friday, has not been in a national team training camp since 2003, when he made his lone senior national team appearance, as a late substitute in an exhibition against Venezuela. He let go of the idea of playing in a World Cup long ago.

“I always had a dream when I was younger, but to have it actually happen caught me off guard,” said Buddle, whose World Cup dream initially involved playing for Jamaica, where his parents grew up before settling in Westchester County, N.Y. “If I was in other camps, I would say, ‘Yes, I was thinking about it.’ But I just wanted to get the season off to a good start. And here I am.”
          - Xavi

Comment

Video: Edson Buddle scores first two U.S. goals vs. Australia
            - Xavi

Comment

Video:

MNT vs. Slovenia: Edson Buddle Goal - Nov. 15, 2011
              - Xavi

Comment

Good thing Buddle scored.

Dempsey was free (and in scoring position)...and would not have forgiven Buddle for not passing the ball to him.....

Happy for Buddle.

Glad they did not call off the game because of the fog.
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                X