• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butler To Coach In Norway

Butler To Coach In Norway

Published: Saturday | April 17, 20100 Comments and 0 Reactions

Altimont 'Freddie' Butler

Nodley Wright, Gleaner Writer
    Former national representative, Altimont 'Freddie' Butler, could soon become the first home-grown Jamaican football coach to take charge of a team in Europe.

Forty-one-year-old Butler is in the process of formalising an arrangement with Norwegian First Division club Sogndal.

"It will be initially for one year. The contact was made through a good friend and former teammate of mine at San Jose, Michael Emenelo, now the chief scout at Chelsea," Butler said of his new move.
    In discussions with the club, Butler said they seemed pretty happy with what he had to offer, and indicated that they liked his football
    background.

"The fact that I have played in France, the US and Portugal, and the fact that I am fluent in both French and Portuguese seemed important to them, and they have also enrolled me in a class to learn the Norwegian language," he explained.

"This opportunity means so much to me. Getting a chance to work in football, something that I grew up on ... something that I dearly love ... one could not really ask for more," gushed Butler, who amassed 69 caps for the "national team," he added.

Retired playing in 1998
    Following his retirement from football in 1998, the former Reggae Boy has worked as a coach and scout. He coached with the New Jersey Dynamos Soccer Club from 2000-2005. The following year he coached the MAPS Boys team for the New Jersey Crew Soccer and led them to the US Club State Cup.
    In 2007, he was named the head soccer coach at Oratory Preparatory School in Summit, New Jersey, and guided them to an 11-6 season and their first appearance in the NJSIAA State Championships since the 1990s.

"This is just the start, but I hope one day when I am finished in Europe to be back in Jamaica working alongside my former teammate, Theodore Whitmore, with the national team. I also aspire to one day being the president of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF)," he added.

Butler has a number of firsts to his name, being the first schoolboy to sign a semi-professional or professional contract right out of High School. The then Dunoon Technical high school student and Harbour View player impressed in the Caribbean Club Championships and was snapped up by L'etoile in Guadeloupe in 1987.

The following year he moved from the department of France to the mainland, and signed for Stade Brest in the French first division, where he remained until 1990 before quitting the professional game to attend the University of New Hampshire.

Qualifications

Armed with a degree in Sociology four years later, the Port Royal native signed for the New Jersey Dragons in the United States Soccer League (USSL), where he stayed a year.

Butler was on the move the following year, heading to Portugal where he played with first division team Torreense for the 1995-1996 season. From Torreense, the cultured midfielder was selected by the then San José Clash, now Earthquakes, for the inaugural US Major League Soccer (MLS) season (1996). He was the number two pick in the second round of the draft.

He was traded to the Columbus Crew in November, 1996, but left the team after playing one game and scoring one goal to focus on the Reggae Boyz's historic qualification for the 1998 ]World Cup in France.

Injury, and publicly voicing his dissatisfaction to then technical director René Simoes' plan to replace some members of the squad who helped the team qualify, with overseas-based players, ruled him out of a place in the World Cup Finals.

Last edited by Karl; April 17, 2010, 03:19 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Happy for him to get an opportunity. Hopefully, one day he will be in our setup. Also Lorne.

Was a very intelligent player. Was not suited for top level ball by time we qualified for the world cup, but he definitely played his role in helping us reach that level.

Comment

butler is doing well in norway , his team is a game from leading the Norway
      1st division standings http://www.goalzz.com/main.aspx?c=5689&stage=1

I think with 2 years he would be better to lead us in W Qualifiers for 2014 .
      Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
      United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
      happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
      Probably forthcoming...

Comment

I think the word was he signed some time past.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          I think the word was he signed some time past.
          he did'nt atleast for sogndal , I look it up at wikipedia and they have a
          different manager .
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sogndal_Fotball
          Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
          United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
          happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
          Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by wbvs View Post
            butler is doing well in norway , his team is a game from leading the Norway
            1st division standings http://www.goalzz.com/main.aspx?c=5689&stage=1

I think with 2 years he would be better to lead us in W Qualifiers for 2014 .
            Forget that. We need some continuity within the senior team. We change coaches like a new mom changes diapers. Let Tapp finish his run with Boyz through 2014. Whether he fails or succedes allow him the full opportunity to organize the player pool. Once his run is complete we can talk about the next coach. Can't build a positive enviornment without stability. - T.K.
            No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Working...
            X