Adebayor announces international retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adebayor announces international retirement

Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor has announced his retirement from international football.

GettyImages
    Emmanuel Adebayor represented Togo at the 2006 World Cup finals

Adebayor was on the Togo team bus in January as three people were killed in a gun attack ahead of the African Nations Cup in Angola.
    In a statement on his club's official website, he said: "Following the tragic events during January's African Cup of Nations, in which two of my fellow countrymen were killed by terrorists in Angola, I have made the very difficult decision to retire from international football.
    "I have weighed up my feelings in the weeks and months since the attack, and I am still haunted by the events which I witnessed on that horrible afternoon on the Togo team bus. We were just footballers going to play a football match and represent our country, yet we were attacked by people who wanted to kill us all. It is a moment I will never forget and one I never want to experience again.
    "For nine years I have played for the Togo team and, despite the events in Angola, I have some very good memories of my international career. I feel very proud to have been trusted with the position of captain of the Togolese football team. Leading your country in international competition is the ultimate honour for any player.
    "Togo have some very talented players, and I dearly hope the players who remain will be able to put their memories of Angola behind them and go onto be a success for the nation. I have enormous belief in each and every one of them, players, coaches, staff and their families.
    "The people who were on that coach together will forever be joined by a special bond - we are all brothers. I will always have the team and the people of Togo close to my heart and wish them every success in the challenges that they will face in the future."
    Assistant Togo coach Amelete Abalo and the team's press officer, Stan Ocloo, were both killed in the attack along with Angolan bus driver Mario Adjoua. Goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale and defender Serge Akakpo both recovered after being hit by bullets, along with Togo boss Hubert Velud.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...global&cc=5901
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

At age 26 ... I expect him to come out of retirement any day now.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Well not any day now, we have EVERY reason to think he took that dreadful incident serious,he spoke about it repeatedly as long as anyone would listen.

Blessed

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
        Well not any day now, we have EVERY reason to think he took that dreadful incident serious,he spoke about it repeatedly as long as anyone would listen.

Blessed
        I don't doubt the effect the incident may have on him, its just that I think he will return to int'l football.

Comment

well if he feels he needs the time off, he shouldbe the best judge of that. why waste people's time with them calling him up only to say no and potentially burn bridges...as if

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I need Fergie's starting team against Man City to be the same as the one in the second leg... Bayern Munich, the search should start from this season.
            Why he thought we had no chance of winning the EPL is beyond me and any established science. He surely did or he would not have started that lame duck team against Blackburn.
            Is a BIG stone lick hym waan.

Blessed

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
              I need Fergie's starting team against Man City to be the same as the one in the second leg... Bayern Munich, the search should start from this season.
              Why he thought we had no chance of winning the EPL is beyond me and any established science. He surely did or he would not have started that lame duck team against Blackburn.
              Is a BIG stone lick hym waan.

Blessed
              Nothing was wrong with the team he started .. they just didn't take their chances. He cannot start the team you're asking for as Rio picked up an injury in the Blackburn game.

Comment

Adebayor could come out of international exile

Emmanuel Adebayor has revealed he would be willing to come out of international retirement if football in Togo started to organise itself in a more professional manner.

Adebayor quit in the wake of the terrorist attack on the team bus taking Togo to the African Nations Cup in Angola in January. He remains immensely proud of his country, but following the birth of his first child this summer he does not feel the demands placed upon him are worth the end outcome.
                As the pivotal figure within the Togo squad, Adebayor has been depicted as a trouble-causer by some. Yet he remains open to the idea of a comeback, even if it will take some fundamental changes within the football hierarchy for such a prospect to become a reality.
                "There are a lot of organisational problems and whenever we have tried to do things in recent times, it has been taken in a negative way,'' he told the official Manchester City magazine. "Because I have tried to explain things about the national team and tried to help my country, I have become the main focus when any problems arise and people point to me as the cause.
                "Things have obviously changed in the last year. I have a daughter now and I have to put her first. I am not going to put myself in situations where I am risking my safety, especially after what happened in Angola. If the organisation improved and things became much better, I will definitely play for Togo again. Not doing so has been one of the tougher decisions I have had to make in my life.
                "I can choose to die for my country but not in a cheap way. That is the way things are at the moment and I am not prepared to accept that.''

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...global&cc=5901

Comment

Adebayor available for Togo

Emmanuel Adebayor has made himself available for selection for Togo after receiving assurances over player safety.

Adebayor, currently on a season-long loan with Tottenham, had withdrawn from international duty in the wake of the gun attack on the team coach at the 2010 African Nations Cup.
                  Having held a meeting with Togo Football Federation officials on Wednesday, though, the 27-year-old has declared that he is ready to return for the upcoming 2014 World Cup qualifier.
                  "I am happy to say that I am returning for Togo and will avail myself for next week's game against Guinea Bissau," Adebayor told BBC Sport.
                  "I decided to quit the international scene because I had concerns about the safety of players after the deadly attack in Cabinda. Things were not done properly.
                  "The FTF agreed with the key issues I raised and they have resolved that they will solve these problems for the benefit of all the players. I want to serve my country but the safety of all the players in the team must be paramount. I have been assured that this issue and others will be addressed."
                  Although the team failed to qualify for January's African Nations Cup in his absence, Adebayor accepts that he may not be guaranteed a place in the first team.
                  "Now that I am returning to the team, it is up to the coach to decide whether he wants to play me or not," he said. "I am returning to the team as a member of the squad and I don't expect any special treatment. I will be treated as any other player in the team."

Comment

Working...
                  X