X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Substituted player goes to pub

Burnley's McDonald is sorry for going to the pub at halftime

By Brooks Peck

When Burnley trailed Man City 5-0 at halftime of their match last Saturday, the Clarets substituted Kevin McDonald and Robbie Blake, but unlike Blake, McDonald didn't watch the second half of Burnley's eventual 6-1 loss on the bench, instead opting to join his dad and the locals watching on ESPN at a pub up the road.
    As you can probably imagine, manager Brian Laws wasn't too thrilled with the midfielder's disappearance and expressed this when McDonald finally returned. In an apology on the club's website, McDonald admitted how dumb this was.
    "I now realise it was naive, disrespectful and totally wrong of me to leave the ground. It was a gross misjudgment and I should have remained at Turf Moor to support my club and team-mates.
    "I acknowledge that I also showed a serious lack of respect to the fans who pay good money to watch their team play."
    If only they had left in the final line of his apology as originally written: "But, come on -- if you got yanked at halftime, already down 5-0 to Man City, you would need a drink with your dad, too."
    Photo: Getty Images
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.
Working...
X