X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuller Sends Zola home to contemplate future after loss

Zola confirms he will remain West Ham manager
    Soccernet staff

Gianfranco Zola has issued a statement to confirm that he will remain in charge of West Ham despite considering his position after suffering a run of six consecutive defeats.Gianfranco Zola: A man under pressure (GettyImages)

Zola's future has been the subject of sustained debate in recent days following a public dispute with co-owner David Sullivan and a run of poor form, and a 1-0 loss to Stoke at Upton Park on Saturday saw Zola return home to Italy to contemplate his future.
    But with West Ham only sitting above the relegation zone due to a superior goal difference than Hull City, Zola is intent on preventing the London club from sliding into the Championship.
    "I am determined to carry on," read the statement. "Losing on Saturday was emotional for everyone but I know we can turn it around and we have the ability to achieve our objectives."
    Zola, who is expected to return to London on Tuesday to take training having given the team three days off, became involved in a spat with Sullivan last week after the co-owner described a performance against Wolves as "shambolic" and "pathetic".
    Zola had warned Sullivan his words could have a damaging impact on the team and further tensions were exposed when Sullivan was asked to stay away from a team meeting at the training ground. But the manager says both Sullivan and David Gold are supportive of his leadership and that the club are now focused on staying in the top flight.
    "They have backed me and I am grateful,'' added Zola. "My only thought for now is to keep this club in the Premier League and that remains my goal. I'll give everything I can to make this happen between now and the end of the season.
    "I have had time to think and we will have to work harder than we have before. I know we can get the results we need and it is just a question of making it happen. The performance was better on Saturday but it is still not the level we should be at. We can, and will, do better as a team.
    "I have a great staff and we will work together to find the solutions. We have a responsibility to turn things around and that is what we will do. I am here and I am ready to do what I need to do to get the results. There is no doubt about that. We have seen before we are capable of playing at a high level.
    "We will go to Everton determined to get a result. People might not expect us to get something from the match but we will be positive. No-one should write us off. Although we are in a serious position we have time to sort things out and be in control of our destiny at the end of the season.
    "We said before Stoke that one game would not define the season but we know each of the games left will be cup finals. They will be massive and I know the fans will once again get behind us starting with Everton and we will give everything to reward their support. They have been brilliant and we owe them.''
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

U know a really true!

Comment

Working...
    X