Burrell makes move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burrell makes move

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Burrell makes move</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline>Accepts post as vice-president of Clarendon FA</SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>KAYON RAYNOR &amp; BEV MELBOURNE, Observer reporters
    Wednesday, December 13, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=350 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>BURRELL. I was asked to serve on the committee</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>VICE-PRESIDENT of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), Captain Horace Burrell, has made a significant step in his bid to regain the presidency of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF).<P class=StoryText align=justify>Burrell, who lost the post to current president Crenston Boxhill on November 23, 2003, by a margin of 54-49, accepted an invitation from the Clarendon Football Association (CFA) to serve on their executive as a vice-president, during yesterday's launch of the Captain's Bakery Clarendon Major League football competition at the Hotel Versalles in the parish.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The post was left void following the resignation of Grade One referee Kevin Morrison earlier this year.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"All I'm saying is that I was asked to serve on the committee, pending ratification by the full board, and I have given an undertaking...," Burrell said last evening on the Sports Grill programme aired on HITZ 92 FM.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I have said to the Clarendon executive committee that yes I would be willing to offer my services. Whatever I can do to enhance the whole administration of the parish, I'd be willing to do it," Burrell added.<P class=StoryText align=justify>According to president of the CFA, Michael Ricketts, Morrison quit his position due to a conflict of interest.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"FIFA has instructed that referees ought not to participate in activities outside of refereeing. It therefore meant that one of our referees, and an excellent administrator (Morrison), had to resign as a member of the CFA, and as our league co-ordinator," Ricketts explained yesterday.<P class=StoryText align=justify>This possibly clears the way for Burrell to challenge for the nation's top football post. Under the current statutes of the JFF, only bona fide delegates or affiliates with the federation can run for executive positions at the General Voting Congress, which is constitutionally due next November.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The Observer understands that the present administration is in the process of making changes to the statutes and by-laws of the federation, which would require ratification.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Burrell served as JFF president between 1994-2003 and was largely credited for guiding the Reggae Boyz's historic qualification to the 1998 World Cup Finals in France.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He was also at the helm of the local governing body when the Under-17s and Under-20s qualified for the FIFA World Championships in New Zealand and Argentina in 1999 and 2001 - both unprecedented achievements in the island's football history.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

RE: Burrell makes move

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>More cash for Clarendon Major League</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>Bev Melbourne
    Wednesday, December 13, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>Captain Horace Burrell yesterday announced an increased sponsorship of the Clarendon Major League from $1million to $1.5million at a press launch at the Hotel Versales in May Pen.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The Captain's Bakery CEO was speaking in the presence of the participating teams and members of the parish's executive body at the launch of the new season.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The winners will receive $150,000, with second place getting $80,000, and third and fourth, $60,000 and $40,000, respectively. The mid-season champions will pocket $40,000.<P class=StoryText align=justify>This agreement, which is in its third year, is a full one and will cover administration fees, purchasing of trophies, medals, prize money (sectional prizes), match commissary fees, gear and five footballs for each team for a total of 60 balls.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Twelve teams will participate in the competition, which kicks off January 7 at York Town playing field with defending champions Humble Lions facing Morgan's Pass.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The participating teams include Humble Lions, Springfield, Original Hazard, New Bowens, Tollgate, Wood Hall, Mitchell Town, Morgan's Pass, New Longsville and Gayle.
    Morgan's Pass won the Division Two competition last season, while Wood Hall were second.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Gayle, who were third, gained promotion at the expense of Gimme Mi Bit, who dropped out of the competition due to administrative hiccups that have plagued the club of late.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Burrell made it quite clear that his company would not be associated with any form of indiscipline and appealed to CFA president, Michael Ricketts, and his executive body to try their best to uphold the highest level of discipline during the competition.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I am quite pleased with the level of discipline exercised by this administration and I'm asking all the teams, the officials from the various teams and the referees as well to do their best to keep the discipline at its highest level," he emphasised.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I feel proud to be able to give back some of what I have gained from the parish through my business here and will continue to do so. I would also like to see even one team from this parish reach to the level of the National Premier League (NPL) competition," Burrell added.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
    X