X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FREDDY SALT EHH?

D.C. United sends Freddy Adu off to Salt Lake

Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY -- Freddy Adu was traded Monday from D.C. United to Real Salt Lake, ending a sometimes tumultuous three-year run in Washington for the highly touted teenager who clashed with his coach and was often frustrated by his role.

The 17-year-old will move to an MLS franchise in need of a marketable star as it hopes to boost attendance and gain support for a new stadium. He will also get to be an attacking midfielder, a position he never played consistently with United.

"It will be fun to be reunited with him. It will be even more rewarding to have him score goals for us instead of against us," said Real Salt Lake coach John Ellinger, Adu's former coach on the U.S. Under-17 club.

Adu's stated goal is to play for a European team, and he becomes eligible to transfer to a club outside the United States once he turns 18 on June 2. He recently spent two weeks working out with Manchester United in England.

Salt Lake general manager Steve Pastorino said Real hopes getting Adu into a new environment will keep him happy and stateside.

"Our intent is to keep him here for several years," Pastorino said.

D.C. United also sent goalkeeper Nick Rimando to Real Salt Lake. In return, D.C. United will receive a major player allocation, the rights to goalkeeper Jay Nolly and future considerations.

Adu became the youngest player in MLS history when D.C. United chose him No. 1 overall in the 2004 draft, but his youthful temperament showed almost immediately when he was used mostly as a substitute early in the season.

In Salt Lake, he won't be coming off the bench.

"Freddy is a pretty lethal player," Ellinger said. "I think he'll definitely make us a pretty potent offense."

Although he ended up starting 14 games as a rookie and 16 in his second season, he complained publicly both years about playing time and said the team had ruined his chances of making the U.S. team for the 2006 World Cup. Coach Peter Nowak suspended Adu for a 2005 playoff after one such outburst.

"It is never easy to part with players, especially one like Freddy," Nowak said. "Freddy desired to play a different role than the one we offered here at D.C., so we hope this move can aid that wish."

This year, Adu had a regular spot in the lineup and started 29 of United's 32 games, but he played on the wing instead of his preferred position in midfield. He was dejected when Nowak removed him for a substitute in the 65th minute of D.C. United's final game, a playoff loss to New England, and afterward said there were "serious talks" in the works to have him playing elsewhere next season.

Ellinger said he has talked to Adu and expects his welcome in Salt Lake City, where a news conference was scheduled for Tuesday, will keep him in the U.S. league.

"He's very happy about a fresh start," Ellinger said. "Pretty much everybody loves him wherever he goes."

Adu finished with 11 goals and 17 assists in 87 appearances for United, and helped the team win the MLS Cup during his rookie season.

He has played regularly for U.S. youth national teams and became the youngest player to appear for the full U.S. team last Jan. 22 against Canada, although he was never a serious candidate for the World Cup team.

J

RE: FREDDY SALT EHH?

In other words he disappoint in DC. only TK saw otherwise.

I wish him all the best in Salt Lake.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

<DIV>ManU, huh?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Instead, he went to the other Manure! Funny nuh rahtid!</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nuh just salt, but Real Salt!
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I can understand Freddy wanting first team football...however...I worry about his being over anxious. Nowak is a sensible manager who understands what it takes to develop a young talent, I am not sure he will find himself in a good situation at Salt Lake. Either way, he is LUCKY he did not go to England...he would languish in the reserves for quite some time if Man Utd. was the team he was headed to. Freddy is a good baller, but needs much more development before he will be ready for first team football in Europe. I wish him well at Salt Lake.
          "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Damn! Now I am going to have to find a new avatar to rhatid. Afterall you can't be a Phenom and not play for DC United. - T.K.
            No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

like andy.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Gamma (12/12/2006) like andy.....
                Speaking of Andy.....It is going to be really interesting to see what happens to him now. The articles I have read says that Real Salt Lake will give the position of attacking mid to Freddy. So I guess that means Andy will have to battle it out with Chris Klein to play out wide right which is a competition that does not favor Andy. I wonder if he will end up in Toronto when it is all said and done. - T.K.
                No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Working...
                X