Technical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical question

This is addressed to coaches, some thing I have watched for a few years now. Is goalkeeping the weakest part of the women's and youth games?

Why is this so, is it that goalkeepers are harder to develope or what?
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

RE: Technical question

Sickko (12/11/2006)This is addressed to coaches, some thing I have watched for a few years now. Is goalkeeping the weakest part of the women's and youth games?

Why is this so, is it that goalkeepers are harder to develope or what?
    The weakest part of the women's game is actuallyheading and playing balls over distance.

In regards to women's goalkeepers you have two big issues. The first is the small size of their hands. It makes it more difficult for them to catch.

The 2nd issue is height. The average height of a woman is5'4. The height and width of a goal frame is 8 feet and 24 feet wide. Where short goalkeepers fall behind is on long range shots.

That is why you see so many floated shots over the head of the keeper score on big time national team girlgoaltenders even though the ball may not be travelling at a high rate of speed. In soccer coaching circleswe callthat particular way of getting scored on a"girl goal". - T.K.
    No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

That makes a lot of sense...that would explian why we see so many goals being scored from long range in the youth games as well.

I cant understand why the organisers use smaller goals for the Primary schools Under 12 competition but a few months later they use the standard sized goals in the clubs Under 13 leagues.

It is basically the same players in both leagues.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Most soccer coaches know nothing about teaching goalkeepers.

I have seen it again and again where goalies are on the sidelines and in Ja for many teams is just pick a man or women who can stop too ball and put them in goal.

Many of the bigger clubs with more than one teams up here can afford to hire a goalie coach and work with them. it is important for these kids to learning placement, foot movement and so many other skills and not just "divie divie" as so many of our keepers do.

As it is important for keepers to have the right equipment.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Assasin (12/11/2006)Most soccer coaches know nothing about teaching goalkeepers.

I have seen it again and again where goalies are on the sidelines and in Ja for many teams is just pick a man or women who can stop too ball and put them in goal.

Many of the bigger clubs with more than one teams up here can afford to hire a goalie coach and work with them. it is important for these kids to learning placement, foot movement and so many other skills and not just "divie divie" as so many of our keepers do.

As it is important for keepers to have the right equipment.
          <DIV></DIV><DIV>I always wonder why anyone would want to be a goalkeeper in Jamaica, given the tuffness of the grounds. If we improve our fields, our goalkeeping would improve. I'm sure some good people have opted for some other position or sport, because diving around on concrete can be injurious to one's health. And it hurts like hell!</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

also leaping ability....women have a lower centre of gravity and cannot get up as high as men....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Lots of clubs have goalkeeper coaches now, former keepers etc who you see working out the stopppers at training or warming them up for games.

I know Paul Campbell used to go thru the island and work with all the NPL clubs- granted he alone could not do as good a job that was required but at least he was able to teach the top keepers or the coaches some basics and they would pass it on.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

I think Paul did a great job and I hope Spiderman will get to continue doing it.

I think Goalie coaches sometimes are not appreciated as we simple don't have enough.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I dont see Spiderman working with teams as I used to see Paul.

I dont know his qualifications but I do hope he has some and his appointment was not a friend thing between Boxhill and WD
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

I know Paul did some good work in the Northern Jersey, NY area before he came to Jamaica. I think he has some US qualification.

I undertstand he was doing some work in New England over the summer.

Paul is not afraid to recommend his players and I hope Boxhill they either get somebody else who do the same thing or better, because if not sacking him is going backward.

Comment

Working...
                    X