X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lagerback appointed Nigeria coach (PA) Saturday 27 Februa

Lagerback appointed Nigeria coach
    (PA) Saturday 27 February 2010
    Nigeria have appointed former Sweden coach Lars Lagerback to lead them at the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™.

The 61-year-old saw off competition from compatriot Sven-Goran Eriksson for the role, while another former England boss, Glenn Hoddle, was also in pole position until Lagerback was interviewed by the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) yesterday.

NFF spokesman Ademola Olajire told Press Association Sport: "In the early hours of this morning we appointed Lars Lagerback." He went on to explain that Lagerback had pipped Hoddle and former Senegal coach Bruno Metsu to the job.

Bruno Metsu was ahead, Glenn Hoddle took over, but in the end it was Lagerback, who was interviewed last, who won it.NFF spokesman Ademola Olajire on the race for the Nigeria job
    "Previously Bruno Metsu was ahead, Glenn Hoddle took over on Wednesday, but in the end it was Lagerback, who was interviewed last, who won it," said Olajire. "He has now signed a five-month contract to take Nigeria to the World Cup."

Lagerback succeeds Shaibu Amodu as coach of the Super Eagles, after they finished third at the CAF Africa Cup of Nations in Angola last month. The Swede will watch their friendly against Congo DR on Wednesday, and will be based in Nigeria from next month until South Africa 2010.

Lagerback has huge experience of international coaching. He was co-coach of Sweden at UEFA EURO 2000 alongside Tommy Soderberg, and led the team outright from the summer of 2004 until 2009, when he resigned following the failure to qualify for the forthcoming FIFA World Cup.

Add your comment
    Rating: 4.3
    Rating: 4.3
    User comments »
    27/02/2010 at 19:45
    Tricia2009 (Nigeria)
    Dear people, am still in shock of Largerback's appointment. I really do not know him, he has never coached an African side before so how will he cope with just about 100 days to go. I just hope NFF will not regret this deecision again; just like Berti Vogt's. Anyway, let's keep our fingers crossed and see how it goes. The drama continues...WATCH OUT FOR PART 2.
    27/02/2010 at 19:20
    clauzel (USA)
    GOOD DECISION ,EXPERIENCE AND KNOWELDGE ,I AM SUR HE IS GOING TO MAKE THE DEFFIRENCE ,ANYWAY BETTER CHOISE THEN SHEHATA ,GOOD THINKING ,GO NIGERIA
    27/02/2010 at 19:09
    arg_boy (Argentina)
    i think what nigeria did was very risky changing the coach in such short time does not benefit them...he has very little time to not only choose the team but train them and set different set plays
    27/02/2010 at 18:19
    Anthony0993 (Canada)
    just hope he culd make a good impact on the team in such a short time.....
    27/02/2010 at 17:32
    dondo07 (Nigeria)
    time too short for any real impact.
    27/02/2010 at 17:08
    aymantime (USA)
    Good luck to Nigerian team with any coach.... and all Africa teams! Go Africa.
    27/02/2010 at 17:03
    dyoshai (Sweden)
    wow! a swede, as myself make nigeria happy now lagerbäck and you will make more than 100 million people dance. this nigerian team feels like it has more potential than sweden has had in long long time. we swedes are beside you now nigeria a big good luck to the team that are 2nd best of the qualified african teams according to african cup this year.
    27/02/2010 at 15:24
    wmlee73 (Korea Republic)
    Well, I don't know how good Lagerback will lead Super Eagles in this year's global football showpiece. But as DannyEFC1 previously said, he didn't achieve the fantastic result in his country. And it usually takes some time for foreign coach to understand the characteristics of players and set up the tactics suitable for them. But, they have good personal efforts. Therefore, I think all he has to do is to motivate Nigerian players to play with a great group power.
    27/02/2010 at 14:51
    murphyjoe (Nigeria)
    i think we have a coach now,for the coach i want him to introduce new players to the team and make all the players to be committed.good luck
    27/02/2010 at 14:17
    promochuks (Nigeria)
    @dhln_mhmmd ...Shehetta didn't reject Nigeria, Nigeria did disagree cuz the terms were not what our soccer body needed. Hiddink,i would say rejected Nigeria,cuz he was not officially contacted. Anyway, i love Egyptian football. I wish Nigeria the best in this worldcup,but whatever happens,it's still my Country's team.
    (Total comments 23)
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.
Working...
X